uniqs

CoxVegas
join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV

CoxVegas to dfrandin

to dfrandin

Re: New DOCSIS 3 Modem Requirements Posted

dfrandin,

The decisions on timings of when we discontinue support/force upgrades are generally done market by market since it depends on how many there are, how urgent the need is, etc.

Since you're in Las Vegas, I can speak a little to this. At this point, we are doing DOCSIS 3 modems with new installs - DOCSIS 3 not only improves reliability for the customer getting it, but the more DOCSIS 3 modems in a node, the better off everyone is.

The last time we forced customers to upgrade was to get rid of the last of the ancient DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 modems a few years ago.

I will say that when and if there are future speed increases, your SB5120 may start showing it's age (and that modem is getting up there in years). If it's still working well for you in the meanwhile, stick with it.

dfrandin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

dfrandin

Premium Member

Thanks CoxVegas!

I had quite a bit of trouble back when I was still using a Linksys BEFCM10v3, a year or so ago, but once I got this SB5120, the connection has been rock-solid, once you guys flashed the latest f/w on it, prior to that it was nearly as flaky as the Linksys... I'm certainly not looking to upgrade to ANYthing beyond Preferred, in fact, if $$$ issues keep troubling me, I may downgrade to the essential level, as I don't really need the speed that preferred provides.
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII to CoxVegas

Premium Member

to CoxVegas
said by CoxVegas:

dfrandin,
The last time we forced customers to upgrade was to get rid of the last of the ancient DOCSIS 1.0 and 1.1 modems a few years ago.

The way that was done in AZ was disable DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 support overnight, though CS was clueless the tech Cox sent out that day showed up with a modem at the door and 2 options : sell us the one in his hand or buy one for free after MIR at circuit city, when asked why he said it was Cox's way of phasing out DOCSIS 1.x support

A little too much 'force' if you ask me, some notice would have been nice.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

I don't recall anything that drastic happening across such a broad range of equipment. What I do remember was a situation regarding D-Link modem that necessitated an emergency upgrade to resolve. Even then if you called in and had a D-Link modem we shipped a free replacement.
XIII
Premium Member
join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ

XIII

Premium Member

I had that D-Link, would have been nice to get a free one, CSRs were clueless, tech said they deactivated DOCSIS 1.x for 2.0 and most D-Links were made inoperable as well as some Motorola's. Sounds as if either he didnt know or didnt want to say.

Though I cant complain for having to buy a new modem, Cox comped my current D3 when the D2 started acting up.