uniqs
share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Suggestion on a decently priced 256 GB SSD?

I'm looking for a decently priced SSD, preferably about 256 GBs in size. Any suggestions?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

SanDisk, Kingston, OCZ Agility 3/4, and OCZ Vertex 3 are usually the lowest prices, around $160-180 on really good sales. You have to keep your eye on Logicbuy's daily wrap-ups or Newegg's shellshockers, however.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Well, I'm looking for SSDs that get good reviews.

I looked at the Samsung 830s and they seem to have major issues in which after awhile they slow down big time and Samsung has yet to acknowledge the issue or fix it.

The Crucial M4 drives have random issues that even the current firmware hasn't fixed yet. Some people report random file corruption even with the latest firmware. Doesn't instill much confidence in me.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

The OCZ Technology drive also seem to have some issues too. Dead drives, unbootable drives, etc.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to trparky

So you want reliability, speed, and low price? I don't think that's realistic. You generally can pick two out of the three.

Your best pick is probably a Vertex 4 running the new FW and hope you don't get a DOA.

FWIW I have been using a Vertex 2 120GB and an ADATA 120 GB without issue. Problems with SSDs are almost purely anecdotal, although the low-end OCZs (Agilities and lower) seem to have an unusual amount of DOAs or SSDs that stop working shortly after arrival.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Seems that standard spinning disk HDDs are still the most reliable way to go. Proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

SSDs seem to be still maturing and they are having QA issues still. Makes me doubt SSDs are ready for prime time.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I'd like to go with an SSD for at least the boot drive but these reviews are really making me worried.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to trparky

I don't know where you get that idea. MHDDs have had serious issues as well despite being around for decades. For home use, an SSD is perfectly fine for boot drives and the 240/256GB size is now the sweet spot on the price/size spectrum.

With the Thailand flooding and continued high prices of MHDDs, SSDs are even more attractive.

Just stay away from the cheapest brands and you'll be fine. I've built or own computers with OCZ Vertexes, Intels, and ADATA's and have yet to have an issue with any SSD (and yet have had MHDDs die on me, hmm).

Sales aside, take a look at these:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20167086
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20227792
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20147135
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20147164
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-233-208
--

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

I still have four year old HDDs that are still chugging along. *knock on wood* They may be small but they rock solid reliable.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Of all the ones that I'm looking at with the links you've given, the Intel ones are getting the most favorable reviews.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to trparky

Which is anecdotal as well.

Don't let anecdotal reviews sway your decision to buy or not. As with any device, don't buy the cheapest thing out there. Sure, there's a small % chance you may get a DOA (as it is with any electronic product), but one of our own got a bad Caviar Black with his new build.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to trparky

I've had an 80GB Intel SSD for over a year with no issues. I've just bought a 120GB Intel for my new build. The reviews of the other drives convinced me to go with Intel again.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Intel 520 Series Solid-State Drive 240 GB SATA 6 Gb/s 2.5-Inch - SSDSC2CW240A310 (Drive Only)
With
Silverstone Tek 3.5-inch to 2 x 2.5-Inch Bay Converter (SDP08B)

Seems like it may be the best deal.
--
Tom

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

Depending on the motherboard/chipset you have, maybe the Intel Smart Response Technology would be an ideal solution?

On my Asus P8Z77, I can use a SSD up to 64GB that acts as a cache. From what I have read, the performance is greatly improved when booting and loading new programs.

This would allow you to keep your OS and storage on the larger MHDDs, even in a RAID configuration, while utilizing the much faster access time of the SSD for the applications that get used more frequently.

I'm still in research mode about this, but it might be something to consider if it proves to work as advertised. A fast 64GB SSD is relatively inexpensive.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to trparky

Intel 330 Series SSDSC2CT240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to trparky

Samsung 830 Series

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

My desktop motherboard has an Intel X58 chipset. The notebook hell if I know.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to trparky

=D

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226226

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

Depending on the motherboard/chipset you have, maybe the Intel Smart Response Technology would be an ideal solution?

On my Asus P8Z77, I can use a SSD up to 64GB that acts as a cache. From what I have read, the performance is greatly improved when booting and loading oldnew programs.

This would allow you to keep your OS and storage on the larger MHDDs, even in a RAID configuration, while utilizing the much faster access time of the SSD for the applications that get used more frequently.

I'm still in research mode about this, but it might be something to consider if it proves to work as advertised. A fast 64GB SSD is relatively inexpensive.

technically you won't see the increase unless to file is already cached on the SSd.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

My desktop motherboard has an Intel X58 chipset. The notebook hell if I know.

The other thing to consider is the interface speed. A SATAIII SSD will be bottlenecked by the SATAII interface since the limit for SATAII is 300MB/s, while some current SSD's can top 500MB/s. For most use you aren't going to notice the difference though, frankly.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

The notebook I don't think has SATA3 but the desktop does have a separate on-motherboard SATA3 interface that's not directly tied to the BIOS.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

technically you won't see the increase unless to file is already cached on the SSd.

Yes, my statement was a bit confusing. I meant new programs as in, not currently opened and running. I clarified a bit more with my next comment about applications that get used more frequently.

To the OP, be sure to check out Micro Center. I see they have a store in Mayfield, OH.

»www.microcenter.com/index.html

They have great prices and I often shop between this and Newegg.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Already ordered on Amazon.com, no retail taxes and free shipping.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

Nice.

Take an HD Tune test now, and again after you have the SSD installed for a comparison. Please share!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to trparky

No issues with my Vertex 4 128gb so far. It shipped with the v1.4 firmware. I upgraded to 1.5 and runs like a champ.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

On my Asus P8Z77, I can use a SSD up to 64GB that acts as a cache. From what I have read, the performance is greatly improved when booting and loading new programs.

That's Intel Smart Response Technology. However, IIRC, ASUS also has a proprietary SSD caching option on their new motherboards that will make use of SSD units larger then 64GB in capacity.  If you want to know more check your manual or the ASUS support page for your board.

I know my ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard has it which is my newest board  but that's X79 not Z77 based.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to trparky

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I've had this one for ten months, running 24/7.
No problems at all, and it's incredibly fast
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226237
I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Don't be afraid of the SSD. They are getting better, and cheaper!
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by rusdi:

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I've had this one for ten months, running 24/7.
No problems at all, and it's incredibly fast
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226237
I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Don't be afraid of the SSD. They are getting better, and cheaper!

Might be better to spend the extra $20 and go for »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226226

You get Toshiba NAND, and faster than the non-deluxe version.

The Intel 520 - 240GB and the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB, is some what the same. Both use LSI SandForce 2281. Only diff is Mushkin use Toshiba NAND, and Intel use Intel NAND.

Mushkin does have more IOPS over the Intel one.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
»www.mushkin.com/Digital-Storage/···-DX.aspx

Intel 520 - 240GB
»ark.intel.com/products/66250/Int···5nm-MLC)

=========================

Also, about the OCZ drive. What can I say, things does break. All the problems OCZ has was mostly a SandForce controller. That's why later on OCZ bought over Indilinx and use it for their Vertex 4, and Agility 4. There are many other company that use Indilinx also. It use to be one side is faster than the other side. Later on OCZ make it better the read/write speed is more like LSI Sandforce read/write speed.

==========================

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is Asynchronous

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and Intel 520 is Synchronous

Synchronous > Asynchronous

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Desktop Boot HDD Test

Notebook Boot HDD Test
Well, here are the benchmarks. Yeah... they definitely are shitty.

These tests were done on the old spinning HDDs, not the SSDs.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to trparky

Any of the SSDs except kingston. Believe me, the performance is extremely poor.