share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to sk1939

Re: Suggestion on a decently priced 256 GB SSD?

The notebook I don't think has SATA3 but the desktop does have a separate on-motherboard SATA3 interface that's not directly tied to the BIOS.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to AVD

said by AVD:

technically you won't see the increase unless to file is already cached on the SSd.

Yes, my statement was a bit confusing. I meant new programs as in, not currently opened and running. I clarified a bit more with my next comment about applications that get used more frequently.

To the OP, be sure to check out Micro Center. I see they have a store in Mayfield, OH.

»www.microcenter.com/index.html

They have great prices and I often shop between this and Newegg.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Already ordered on Amazon.com, no retail taxes and free shipping.

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

Nice.

Take an HD Tune test now, and again after you have the SSD installed for a comparison. Please share!

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to trparky

No issues with my Vertex 4 128gb so far. It shipped with the v1.4 firmware. I upgraded to 1.5 and runs like a champ.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

Depending on the motherboard/chipset you have, maybe the Intel Smart Response Technology would be an ideal solution?

On my Asus P8Z77, I can use a SSD up to 64GB that acts as a cache. From what I have read, the performance is greatly improved when booting and loading new programs.

This would allow you to keep your OS and storage on the larger MHDDs, even in a RAID configuration, while utilizing the much faster access time of the SSD for the applications that get used more frequently.

I'm still in research mode about this, but it might be something to consider if it proves to work as advertised. A fast 64GB SSD is relatively inexpensive.

That's Intel Smart Response Technology. However, IIRC, ASUS also has a proprietary SSD caching option on their new motherboards that will make use of SSD units larger then 64GB in capacity.  If you want to know more check your manual or the ASUS support page for your board.

I know my ASUS P9X79 Deluxe motherboard has it which is my newest board  but that's X79 not Z77 based.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
reply to trparky

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I've had this one for ten months, running 24/7.
No problems at all, and it's incredibly fast
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226237
I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Don't be afraid of the SSD. They are getting better, and cheaper!
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by rusdi:

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Might be better to spend the extra $20 and go for »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226226

You get Toshiba NAND, and faster than the non-deluxe version.

The Intel 520 - 240GB and the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB, is some what the same. Both use LSI SandForce 2281. Only diff is Mushkin use Toshiba NAND, and Intel use Intel NAND.

Mushkin does have more IOPS over the Intel one.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
»www.mushkin.com/Digital-Storage/···-DX.aspx

Intel 520 - 240GB
»ark.intel.com/products/66250/Int···5nm-MLC)

=========================

Also, about the OCZ drive. What can I say, things does break. All the problems OCZ has was mostly a SandForce controller. That's why later on OCZ bought over Indilinx and use it for their Vertex 4, and Agility 4. There are many other company that use Indilinx also. It use to be one side is faster than the other side. Later on OCZ make it better the read/write speed is more like LSI Sandforce read/write speed.

==========================

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is Asynchronous

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and Intel 520 is Synchronous

Synchronous > Asynchronous

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Desktop Boot HDD Test

Notebook Boot HDD Test
Well, here are the benchmarks. Yeah... they definitely are shitty.

These tests were done on the old spinning HDDs, not the SSDs.

mastsethi

join:2012-05-26
reply to trparky

Any of the SSDs except kingston. Believe me, the performance is extremely poor.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

reply to FizzyMyNizzy

My "next" build will be with the Mushkin deluxe version. They are now more than $100.00 cheaper than I paid for the non-deluxe!!
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Click for full size
Just so you get an idea of what to expect vs a traditional HDD
WD Black 1TB SATAII running at SATAII speeds vs a Mushkin Deluxe 60GB SSD SATAIII running at SATAII speeds. PC is a Core i5-750 with 6GB of RAM running Windows 7 Pro (WEI 7.3).

jmn1207
Premium
Ashburn, VA

That SSD access time would be so wonderful.

This is my current raid 0 using 2 Western Digital Black 500GB drives.

RAID 0 with 2 500GB WDC Black HDs

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by rusdi:

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

Might be better to spend the extra $20 and go for »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20226226

You get Toshiba NAND, and faster than the non-deluxe version.

The Intel 520 - 240GB and the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB, is some what the same. Both use LSI SandForce 2281. Only diff is Mushkin use Toshiba NAND, and Intel use Intel NAND.

Mushkin does have more IOPS over the Intel one.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
»www.mushkin.com/Digital-Storage/···-DX.aspx

Intel 520 - 240GB
»ark.intel.com/products/66250/Int···5nm-MLC)

=========================

Also, about the OCZ drive. What can I say, things does break. All the problems OCZ was mostly a SandForce controller. That's why later on OCZ bought over Indilinx and use it for their Vertex 4, and Agility 4. There are many other company that use Indilinx also. It use to be one side is faster than the other side. Later on OCZ make it better the read/write speed is more like LSI Sandforce read/write speed.

==========================

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is Asynchronous

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and Intel 520 is Synchronous

Synchronous > Asynchronous

Actually there is a little more to it then that:
quote:
Intel was rumored to be working on a SandForce based drive for several months now, but even the rumors couldn't encapsulate just how long Intel and SF has worked on this drive. According to Intel, the relationship began 1.5 years ago. Still lacking a 6Gbps controller of their own and wanting to remain competitive with the rest of the market, Intel approached SandForce about building a drive based on the (at the time) unreleased SF-2281 controller. Roughly six months later, initial testing and validation began on the drive. That's right, around the time that OCZ was previewing the first Vertex 3 Pro, Intel was just beginning its extensive validation process.

Codenamed Cherryville, Intel's SSD 520 would go through a full year of validation before Intel would sign off on the drive for release. In fact, it was some unresolved issues that cropped up during Intel's validation that pushed Cherryville back from the late 2011 release to today.

Intel's strenuous validation will eventually make SandForce's drives better for everyone, but for now the Cherryville firmware remains exclusive. Intel wouldn't go on record with details of its arrangement with SandForce, but from what I've managed to piece together the Intel Cherryville firmware is exclusive for a limited period of time. That exclusivity agreement likely expires sometime after the SF-2281 is replaced by a 3rd generation controller. There are some loopholes that allow SandForce to port bug fixes to general partner firmware but the specific terms aren't public information. The important takeaway is anything fixed in Intel's firmware isn't necessarily going to be fixed in other SF-2281 based drives in the near term. This is an important distinction because although Cherryville performs very similarly to other SF-2281 drives, it should be more reliable.

»www.anandtech.com/show/5508/inte···ndforce/

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to rusdi

said by rusdi:

My "next" build will be with the Mushkin deluxe version. They are now more than $100.00 cheaper than I paid for the non-deluxe!!

I should of bought 2 awhile back, when it was like $179.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

WD Black 1TB SATAII running at SATAII speeds vs a Mushkin Deluxe 60GB SSD SATAIII running at SATAII speeds. PC is a Core i5-750 with 6GB of RAM running Windows 7 Pro (WEI 7.3).

Something weird about your SSD.

This is my G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 60GB

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Well it's pretty full with only 2.5GB free at the moment which may be why.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH
reply to trparky

Good article from tom's hardware

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to trparky

Can I use a wire rated for SATA1/2 for SATA3?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Desktop SSD
And now for some benchmarks...

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to trparky

yes

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to jmn1207

said by jmn1207:

That SSD access time would be so wonderful.

This is my current raid 0 using 2 Western Digital Black 500GB drives.

[att=1]

Man, what am I doing wrong. I have two WD Caviar Black 640 GB drives in RAID 0 and I get about half your throughput. I'll have to check my x58 raid controller...
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

And now for some benchmarks...

You put it in your laptop? or desktop? If you put it in your desktop. I thought you said your desktop has SATA III ports.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

I see you ordered from Amazon already, but Amazon is having a sale on SSDs today only, I just picked up a 240GB Sandisk for $160 with free shipping.

They have the 120s for $80. I might just pick one of those up for the wife's laptop.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

You put it in your laptop? or desktop? If you put it in your desktop. I thought you said your desktop has SATA III ports.

Yes, the desktop does have SATA3 ports. Why? What's wrong?
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth by TeamLiquid

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

I see you ordered from Amazon already, but Amazon is having a sale on SSDs today only, I just picked up a 240GB Sandisk for $160 with free shipping.

They have the 120s for $80. I might just pick one of those up for the wife's laptop.

This looks like it was a fairly good deal while it lasted. I missed out though,...

» 240GB SanDisk SSD - $119.99

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-240G Agility 3 Series 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III, 6Gbps - $140 (with MIR).

--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Yeah not a bad price but a lot of people wont touch OCZ. I recently bought an OCZ Agility III 360GB SSD for about ~$200 or so and its been working quite well,....for now

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I do think there is something to the early Agilities having a higher percentage of DOAs because of controllers, but now that OCZ bought Indilinx and is including the Everest 2 in the Vertex 4, I don't really see the need to avoid OCZs (although I'm not sure about the OCZ SOLID).
--

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Yes, the desktop does have SATA3 ports. Why? What's wrong?

Can you download this ATTO 2.47 and use this benchmark:
»www.softpedia.com/progDownload/A···293.html

just run the .exe and then hit start. It will do the test. Once you are done. Please take a picture and post it here.

Exp: