spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Keano4
join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA

Keano4 to nyrmetros

to nyrmetros

Re: beIn Sport 1 & 2 (new soccer channels)

said by nyrmetros:

If BeIn gets the EPL I will be very upset. I am pissed off that they have hijacked the away USA games.

Don't get angry at beIN. It's a great channel that provides fantastic content.

Get angry at the mickey mouse cable provider that you give thousands of dollars per year for substandard service.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
Be angry at the greedy soccer league owners.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to Keano4

to Keano4
said by Keano4:

said by nyrmetros:

If BeIn gets the EPL I will be very upset. I am pissed off that they have hijacked the away USA games.

Don't get angry at beIN. It's a great channel that provides fantastic content.

Get angry at the mickey mouse cable provider that you give thousands of dollars per year for substandard service.

As has been noted before, the away US qualifiers were never on regular cable before, in previous years they were only available via PPV.

I would like for FIOS to pick up BeIn. The more soccer the better but in the quest for more soccer I don't think anybody will be well served if BeIn gets the EPL. That would mean that they'd have to juggle 4 major leagues on a single (likely SD) channel. ESPN has the channels today, on practically all providers, to carry multiple live EPL games. Who wouldn't want to have that in addition to BeIn?

Anybody saying otherwise is probably a shill for the network.

Keano4
South Grafton, MA

Keano4 to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Be angry at the greedy soccer league owners.

Lowell Mcadam and the entire Verizon board of directors know all about greed. They're worthless bloodsucking leeches.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
Really? Why should they pay a rate they aren't comfortable with to some sheik in Qatar? That rate will get passed on to the rest of us. International soccer has minute ratings. And what other providers have beIN? Verizon aren't the only hold-offs. Verizon already has GolTV and Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus. How many more soccer channels do they expect to pay for? The viewership just doesn't support the number of channels out there. This is the European's fault. They should have opted for established distribution, and stayed with Gol and Fox. They opted for money.
nyrmetros
join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

nyrmetros

said by Greg2600:

Really? Why should they pay a rate they aren't comfortable with to some sheik in Qatar? That rate will get passed on to the rest of us. International soccer has minute ratings. And what other providers have beIN? Verizon aren't the only hold-offs. Verizon already has GolTV and Fox Soccer and Fox Soccer Plus. How many more soccer channels do they expect to pay for? The viewership just doesn't support the number of channels out there. This is the European's fault. They should have opted for established distribution, and stayed with Gol and Fox. They opted for money.

I agree with this.
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to jodhak

Premium Member

to jodhak
I think BeIN should get EPL. Anything to bring some worthwhile competition to ESPN.

dimi1963
join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ

dimi1963

I strongly believe that BeIN is the worst thing that could ever happen to soccer in the US. At least before between FSC and ESPN3 we were able to watch a large number of games on either TV or PCs/Console. As I read on various blogs/media news sites, BeIN does not plan on have a streaming service type ESPN3 or FSC2GO, and they plan on streaming the TV channels broadcast, useless if you ask me. So, although I am a Serie A follower, I hope that they do not get the EPL, because if they do, that would be the final nail on the European Soccer in the US coffin.

Keano4
South Grafton, MA

Keano4

said by dimi1963:

So, although I am a Serie A follower, I hope that they do not get the EPL, because if they do, that would be the final nail on the European Soccer in the US coffin.

Serie A has been FANTASTIC this season. It's to bad you're stuck with a mickey mouse cable provider like Fios.
gsjs316
join:2008-10-16
Langhorne, PA

gsjs316 to dimi1963

to dimi1963
said by dimi1963:

I strongly believe that BeIN is the worst thing that could ever happen to soccer in the US. At least before between FSC and ESPN3 we were able to watch a large number of games on either TV or PCs/Console. As I read on various blogs/media news sites, BeIN does not plan on have a streaming service type ESPN3 or FSC2GO, and they plan on streaming the TV channels broadcast, useless if you ask me. So, although I am a Serie A follower, I hope that they do not get the EPL, because if they do, that would be the final nail on the European Soccer in the US coffin.

Just watch on RAI. It's $10 a month, and the picture quality is atrocious, but you get the 2 Saturday games, the 6:30 am and 2:45 pm Sunday games, and for the 9 am games, they have Giostra dei Gol which is like RedZone, but for calcio. It's great. The only drawback is the picture quality. It's maximum calcio.

I still have FS2Go to compliment watching calcio, so I can watch the Italian teams in the Champions and Europa Leagues. You don't need beIN to watch calcio.

dimi1963
join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ

dimi1963

I do subscribe to RAI, but what kills me is that in today's age I cannot subscribe to a service that would give me the capability to watch any game I like. I am a die hard Napoli fan, and even on RAI we don't get the respect we deserve, i.e. last Sunday they were broadcasting the Milan derby instead of a more important game Napoli - Udinese. And you are absolutely right the PQ for RAI is un-watchable.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
AC Milan has the largest following here, along with Juventus. I have a soft spot for Napoli as well, and I miss the games being on Fox Soccer. We had to fight hard to get that channel in HD, too. I agree on the ESPN3 angle, being able to rewatch big matches is great. I watched the Euro's on there, at night, since they stopped re-airing games at night.
nyrmetros
join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

nyrmetros to jodhak

to jodhak
I didn't watch Seria A even on FSC. But I liked having the option to watch it. How is Gol TV going to exist anymore, and why didn't BeIn just buy Gol tv outright ??
Expand your moderator at work

Keano4
South Grafton, MA

Keano4 to jodhak

to jodhak

Re: beIn Sport 1 & 2 (new soccer channels)

And the winner is NBC.

»goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· f=sports

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

said by Keano4:

And the winner is NBC.

»goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ··· f=sports

Nice, now I don't have to worry about who's carrying BeIn, SWEET !!!! We can all thank Gary Bettman and the NHL lockout for this little gem... Would still rather be watching hockey, but ohhh wellll....

Keano4
South Grafton, MA

Keano4

The lockout has nothing to do with it. NBC signed a 10 year deal with the NHL last year.
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by Keano4:

The lockout has nothing to do with it. NBC signed a 10 year deal with the NHL last year.

They may be feeling they need more baskets in which to put their eggs. Who knows when the NHL may start back up again and how many fans they will lose. NBC probably wants to insure they have plenty to fill the schedule.

I'm happy with this but would have been just as happy with FSC/ESPN. The EPL is going to a network with multiple HD channels that are already on my system as opposed to a network with a single channel that is not yet and could likely only be SD if & when it is.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak
NBC Sports is spending money to compete with ESPN. They signed Formula 1 lately.

Keano4
South Grafton, MA

Keano4 to blue_trooper

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

said by Keano4:

They may be feeling they need more baskets in which to put their eggs. Who knows when the NHL may start back up again and how many fans they will lose. NBC probably wants to insure they have plenty to fill the schedule.

If NBC was so unsure about the long term viability & popularity of the NHL they would not of signed a 10 year rights deal with them. No matter how good the numbers were. And the Prem league deal only run for 3 seasons. It will be up for bid again in 2015.
Keano4

Keano4 to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

NBC Sports is spending money to compete with ESPN. They signed Formula 1 lately.

If NBC thinks Formula 1 will help them compete with ESPN they're delusional. F1 ratings are miniscule.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA to Keano4

Premium Member

to Keano4
said by Keano4:

Really?

Either way, great news... Extremely happy to see a major broadcast company like NBC step up...
UnnDunn
Premium Member
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

UnnDunn to Keano4

Premium Member

to Keano4
said by Keano4:

said by Greg2600:

If NBC thinks Formula 1 will help them compete with ESPN they're delusional. F1 ratings are miniscule.

They are going to be using it as a lead-in to IndyCar. I think they might actually have a shot at raising its ratings this way.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA to nyrmetros

Premium Member

to nyrmetros
said by nyrmetros:

why didn't BeIn just buy Gol tv outright ??

Why would you buy a channel that had squat on it other than the broadcasting rights you just took away from them? As far as I remember, GOLTV's only promising content (in my opinion anyway) was La Liga..
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by TweakerInWA:

said by nyrmetros:

Why would you buy a channel that had squat on it other than the broadcasting rights you just took away from them? As far as I remember, GOLTV's only promising content (in my opinion anyway) was La Liga..

The existing carriage agreements have to have some value. I would hazard a guess that buying out Gol wouldn't be an especially expensive proposition.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium Member
Syracuse, NY

TweakerInWA

Premium Member

said by blue_trooper:

said by TweakerInWA:

said by nyrmetros:

The existing carriage agreements have to have some value. I would hazard a guess that buying out Gol wouldn't be an especially expensive proposition.

I dunno about that, from what I remember they had some games from Brazil, maybe El Salvador or Ecuador... probably not worth the hassel or pennies.... Nothing against those league's, just not very attractive.

Greg2600
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Keano4

to Keano4
said by Keano4:

They are acquiring the same sports ESPN had 20 years ago when it was building into a powerhouse.
rantanamo
join:2012-10-23
Garland, TX

rantanamo to Keano4

to Keano4
said by Keano4:

said by Greg2600:

I think NBC is getting Formula 1 at precisely the right time. The sport has changed dramatically in the past two seasons with refueling leaving and the tire degradation. Its become a very fast paced sport with lots of changing action. Great for TV. Rarely a full course yellow. Almost constantly cars in the pits, back and forth between what teams are at the top, and lots of dicing throughout the field. Now you have a new world class course in Austin, which will get a lot of interest and probably new fans.

At the same time, you have the Big East and ACC talking about getting their games on NBC and NBCSN. Not the greatest football conferences, but huge for basketball. If they can win these contracts, this will be huge and will get some great cross promotion for F1 and IndyCar.
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to Greg2600

to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

said by Keano4:

They are acquiring the same sports ESPN had 20 years ago when it was building into a powerhouse.

Australian Rules Football!

julesism
join:2001-12-12
North Little Rock, AR

julesism to jodhak

to jodhak
TWC North Texas added both bein's in SD and HD. I'd be ok with SD for now on FiOS.