Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

[OOL] Router setup for OOL

I am planning to switch from FIOS to OOL 15/2 tier soon. I never had internet service from OOL before and not familiar with their cable modem.

I plan to use WRT54GL router with Tomato firmware but haven't found step-by-step guide on setting it (or any other router) behind cable modem. I am now using WRT54GL behind FIOS router, so I am familiar with all of the settings but not sure if setup with OOL needs something different. I think I read somewhere that you need to clone cable modem MAC address to the router but can't find this thread anymore and not ever sure if this is correct .

Are there any detailed instructions on setting up router with OOL? I checked FAQ but haven't found anything.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Nothing fancy needed. Just obtain IP via DHCP and the DNS servers via DHCP. No cloning needed.

Edit
Or specify the DNS Servers if you want to use something like opendns or google DNS. Also stay away from the 10.xxx. range for your network since there is some chance it could conflict with the modem subnet.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
reply to JoeSchmoe007

You shouldn't have to do anything special (Clone MAC Address, set ISP Hostname, etc.) w/ OOL... Just remember to do a Power-cycle of the cable modem and a 'Hard Reset' of the Router when you connect it, Then perform the standard security setup of your Wireless AP & Client(s), and you'll be good to go...

Note that if you later decide to go with a higher speed tier (50/8 Boost+), your WRT54GL will be a bandwidth bottleneck (about 26Mbps Max thruput)... :/

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Appreciate your responses.

What router would you recommend for Boost+? My main priority is stability with original or third party firmware. On my WRT54GL I am using original Tomato firmware from »www.polarcloud.com/ and it just runs for months without any issues. I don't need any functionality other than what this firmware provides.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

Look for an affordable Gigabit router that has good reviews from folks that actually use 50+Mb service...

In My case, I acquired a "White Box" (Refurb) Netgear Dual-Band WNDR3700v3 Gigabit-E router on a whim at a local Computer Fair for under $40 to replace my venerable old WRT54G v4 (running HyperWRT Thibor for YEARS...) Performance with the Stock Netgear Firmware was rather less than desirable... (Constantly dropping WAN connection, Pauses, Freezes, etc.)
After doing some Google-Fu, I flashed it over to DD-WRT (v24-SP2 build 6/20/12 mega) Firmware, and so far it's been rock-solid stable, w/Full 50+/8 Bandwidth...

As Always, YMMV...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

Mxx

@mycingular.net
reply to JoeSchmoe007

Check out »m.lifehacker.com/5934305/the-lin···consious