Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207

Re: Suggestion on a decently priced 256 GB SSD?

said by jmn1207:

Depending on the motherboard/chipset you have, maybe the Intel Smart Response Technology would be an ideal solution?

On my Asus P8Z77, I can use a SSD up to 64GB that acts as a cache. From what I have read, the performance is greatly improved when booting and loading oldnew programs.

This would allow you to keep your OS and storage on the larger MHDDs, even in a RAID configuration, while utilizing the much faster access time of the SSD for the applications that get used more frequently.

I'm still in research mode about this, but it might be something to consider if it proves to work as advertised. A fast 64GB SSD is relatively inexpensive.

technically you won't see the increase unless to file is already cached on the SSd.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by AVD:

technically you won't see the increase unless to file is already cached on the SSd.

Yes, my statement was a bit confusing. I meant new programs as in, not currently opened and running. I clarified a bit more with my next comment about applications that get used more frequently.

To the OP, be sure to check out Micro Center. I see they have a store in Mayfield, OH.

»www.microcenter.com/index.html

They have great prices and I often shop between this and Newegg.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Already ordered on Amazon.com, no retail taxes and free shipping.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Nice.

Take an HD Tune test now, and again after you have the SSD installed for a comparison. Please share!