spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mclasser

join:2011-12-12

[VA] Is this a barrel connector or attentuator?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Went out back today to check on and tidy up the cables coming into the house. I saw that Cox had the main ground coax going into this piece of equipment first, and another coax going out from it into their two-way splitter (one end of the splitter to the cable modem and the other for TV). I'm not sure if it's a barrel connector, attentuator or something else. I removed it from the set up and the modem signal levels, speeds and TV quality haven't changed at all. Just wondering what it is.

Also, the big bolt seen in pic. 2 is what holds the ground wire in place.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10

That's the grounding barrel adapter for your coax cable.

You should really put that back and re-connect it to the ground wire.

mclasser

Is it really necessary to have it in the set up? I ask because I have the main ground coax going directly into a splitter now (which is properly grounded). Therefore I don't see the need for the barrel adapter in the mix, especially since the signal levels and speeds are all the same as before.

Austinloop

join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX
kudos:1

One fairly good reason is that by disconnecting this from the line, you have probably violated the contract with Cox, and possibly, local codes.

CoxVegas

join:2011-07-25
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:10
reply to mclasser

Cox is responsible for our side (which where that cut off is varies a little from area to area), and in some areas (apparently including yours), that includes doing the grounding. I'm not familiar with your particular area so I can't speak to if it's required by code or not, but it is in some areas. Since it was in place, I imagine it is in yours.

It's not otherwise hurting things (it's just a barrel adapter) and removing it didn't change your levels. Put it back on and forget about it.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well what you have pictured is how mine is setup outside, since I only have internet/phone threw cox. Being that you have tv, and internet threw cox. That really isn't needed, as long as the two way splitter outside is hooked to the grounding wire. Which as far as I know all splitters have a spot to connect a grounding wire.

mclasser

reply to mclasser

I just re-connected it, so all is well.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by mclasser:

I just re-connected it, so all is well.

Well to me its just an extra piece connected, as the line from it goes to a two way splitter outside, and its simply just acting as a ground for the coax. Which the two way splitter itself can handle the grounding, by just connecting the grounding wire to the splitter.