All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

hellrazzer24
join:2002-06-21
united state

hellrazzer24 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone

Re: GPU Cards in a bit of a lull, what gives?

said by Ghastlyone:

This is one review I read on the 660ti seems like a pretty nice card for the money. From what they're saying though, unless you're upgrading from a really old outdated card, getting a 660 is a kind of a waste of money.....

»www.maximumpc.com/articl ··· reviewed

quote:
The 660 Ti cards’ $300-320 price range puts them firmly between the Radeon HD 7870 and 7950 in price, and their performance is right between the two Radeons as well. The 660 Tis trounce the 7870 GHz edition, and gives the 7950 a run for its money as well. Unless and until AMD drops the price of the 7950 there’s no reason to buy it over the 660 Ti. AMD pushed out special clock-boosting BIOS updates to some reviewers’ reference 7950s earlier this week, but not to us, and we test against retail cards anyway, so that won't factor into our reviews.

Compared to the GTX 560 Ti 448, the GTX 660 Ti isn’t groundbreaking. If you have a 560 Ti there’s no reason to spend $300 on a 660 Ti; you’re better off getting a second 560Ti. But if you’re coming from an older midrange card (or an even older high-end card), or building a new rig, the 660Ti is a great choice.

So more than a year later, if I want better performance, I have to spend about $30 more for the same card I bought last year and run an SLI. This is what I meant by the lull in graphics cards. The midrange units just haven't fell at all from a year ago.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

You still got a ridiculously good deal on a freshly launched card, even if the brand is not one of the best.

The Zotac, btw, is $170.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 14500190

Give them another week since the 660 Ti just came out and prices may drop again.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to hellrazzer24

Premium Member

to hellrazzer24
said by hellrazzer24:

said by Ghastlyone:

This is one review I read on the 660ti seems like a pretty nice card for the money. From what they're saying though, unless you're upgrading from a really old outdated card, getting a 660 is a kind of a waste of money.....

»www.maximumpc.com/articl ··· reviewed

quote:
The 660 Ti cards’ $300-320 price range puts them firmly between the Radeon HD 7870 and 7950 in price, and their performance is right between the two Radeons as well. The 660 Tis trounce the 7870 GHz edition, and gives the 7950 a run for its money as well. Unless and until AMD drops the price of the 7950 there’s no reason to buy it over the 660 Ti. AMD pushed out special clock-boosting BIOS updates to some reviewers’ reference 7950s earlier this week, but not to us, and we test against retail cards anyway, so that won't factor into our reviews.

Compared to the GTX 560 Ti 448, the GTX 660 Ti isn’t groundbreaking. If you have a 560 Ti there’s no reason to spend $300 on a 660 Ti; you’re better off getting a second 560Ti. But if you’re coming from an older midrange card (or an even older high-end card), or building a new rig, the 660Ti is a great choice.

So more than a year later, if I want better performance, I have to spend about $30 more for the same card I bought last year and run an SLI. This is what I meant by the lull in graphics cards. The midrange units just haven't fell at all from a year ago.

Exactly. I figured the 448 core 560ti's would have dropped significantly by now. They are still holding strong in price, anywhere from 250-300 dollars.

Hell, even my card is "higher" in price, then when I purchased it last January. Anywhere from 15-30 dollars higher right now. I know it's a classified version, but give me a break.