spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jovi21

@comcast.net

[XPHome] Problems with System Restore

I recently had a malware issue, and I believe it is taken care of. However, when I tried to flush my system restore points, I got the message 'System Restore is unable to protect your computer' after I restarted it. I tried to restart it again, but got the same message. What could be causing this problem? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
try troubleshooting steps
»support.microsoft.com/default.as···s;302796

Cudni

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
I went through the steps as well as I could, but I am still having problems. Not all of my Windows updates are cooperating. I download and install them (while getting a message that they have installed successfully), and then I am told soon after that I have more updates. They are the same ones I just installed. System Restore is started and enabled on the C drive (I have two drives- could that be part of the problem?). I have enough disk space. System Restore was disabled a few days ago so I could flush the restore points, but I haven't been able to re-enable it. This is the only error related to it in Event Viewer. And System Restore won't start in safe mode either.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Jovi21
You have two OS related issues. System restore and Windows Updates are broken. You just had a malware infection. You need to back up and be double sure you have no lingering infection by scanning with multiple utilities. Bit Defender boot cd, and Malware Bytes would be good starters. When the computer is definitely clean then run System File Checker to verify system files and repair damage if possible. Sometimes SFC does not resolve corruption and you need to do an XP repair install. Save your personal data asap before doing anything else.
--
Breaker One Nine.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Jovi21
Found this hope it'll help!

You may be asked for the Windows XP CD. if you haven't got a retail copy of the XP CD, point your browser to the i386 folder, locate the INF folder and see if you can install System restore form there.
1/ Open Windows Explorer
2/ on the Main toolbar click Tools
3/ From the drop down menu click Folder Options
4/ The folder Options Properties window will now open
5/ Click the View tab
6/ In the advanced Settings list scroll down to the Hidden Files and Folders section
7/ Click on the radio button next to the Show Hidden Files and Folders option
8/ Click OK to close the Folder Options Properties window
9/ In the left hand pane of windows explorer click the + sign next to My Computer
10/ This now expands the drive list
11/ Click the + sign next to the C: drive to expand the folder list
12/ From the folder list navigate to the Windows folder and click the + sign next to this to expand the folder list
13/ Scroll down and click on the INF folder
14/ A list of INF files will appear in the right hand pane of Windows explorer
15/ Look for a file called SR.INF
16/ Once you have located SR.INF Right Click on the folder
17/ From the drop down menu click on Install
18/ System restore should now re-install
19/ If you are asked at any time to insert your Windows XP CD (typically to copy files sr.sys and srframe.mmf) then do so. This enables fresh files to be copied over to your hard drive. Don't try browsing to the Windows directory on your hard drive for the relevant file as all you will be doing is replacing one corrupt file with another.

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
I will run system file checker next.

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
I did have more malware, but I think I finally got rid of it. I tried the instructions for reinstalling system restore, but they didn't work. I have also tried similar instructions that also didn't work (one of them included using my Service Pack 2 CD). Could the oroblem be that I have Service Pack 3 installed on my computer, but the software I am trying to use to reinstall system restore is from Service Pack 2? What else could be preventing the re-installation from being successful?

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
I ran System File Checker. It completed the scan and then disappeared. I don't know if it detected or fixed anything. I then ran a Microsoft Fix-it tool to repair Windows Update. It recognized that there was a problem with it, and said it fixed the problem- but it didn't.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

2 edits
reply to Jovi21
If you can turn off system restore!
If this was happening to me I would just go ahead and do a total restore and get one of those FREE computer backup programs (google "free backup programs") and burn the system on a few Rewritable CD/DVD's (if you can't afford an external harddrive)!
I have Acronis (had to buy it) and an external harddrive and if something goes wrong it takes about 10 minutes to restore my whole computer!
And if you do decide to go the backup route make sure you run a virus/malware scan before you do it each time you make a new copy, don't want to copy the virus/malware!

Jovi21

@comcast.net
This might be a good idea for me, but I'm worried that I might still have malware. If I back up my data now, wouldn't the malware also be saved?
Expand your moderator at work

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21

Re: [XPHome] Problems with System Restore

I have done scans, but I'm worried that they haven't found and removed everything yet.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
said by Jovi21 :

I did have more malware, but I think I finally got rid of it.

Run TDSS killer from Kaspersky. »support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363
It can find some legitimate drivers that have not been officially signed. Pay attention to what you remove.

Download and run BitDefender boot CD rescue ISO. »www.bitdefender.com/support/How-···627.html
That boots the computer from the optical drive. Have the internet connected before you run it so it can update.

After it finds and cures stuff, reboot into Windows and run MalwareBytes. »www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp_form/
You do not need to give your real info and the next page has a download link.
--
Breaker One Nine.

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
TDSSKiller came up with 24 threats- all medium-risk unsigned files. What is an unsigned file? How do I know which files to keep and which files I need to remove?

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
They are probably all OK. We have a forum on this website called "Security Cleanup". With the new menu layout I don't care to go fishing around for it, but I recommend you find it and follow the cleanup routine there.
--
Breaker One Nine.

Jovi21

@comcast.net
reply to Jovi21
Ok- thank you for your help!