Click for full size
from minibridge
Click for full size
roof to tree
Click for full size
close up of adhoc utility tree
Click for full size
messy sketch of street situation
I'm a bit prejudiced here since I already believe this to be a complete hack job but maybe someone can set me straight.

I recently suffered some equipment damage during a lightning storm near my building. I happened to be sitting next to the OOL cable modem which was connected to my firewall during the storm. I heard a few electrical snaps right before my OOL connection dropped. I checked out the equipment and the ethernet port on the back of the modem along with the NIC in my firewall were fried. Cablevision replaced the modem (DPQ3925) and I replaced the NIC.

This is the first such occurrence I've experienced in all the years I've been here.

I may be wrong but I suspect that an "installation" from a couple of weeks before the storm may be grossly out of code and/or not in line with best pratices. The installer connected some "messenger" coax to the minibridge on a pole in the back of this building. The messenger was immediately terminated within 8 feet in order to tie it to a galvanized fence pole sticking out of the roof of the adjacent building. The wire proceeds along the back of the building to make a turn and be supported by the crotch of a dying Ailanthus altissima. The wire then runs toward the street where the messenger wire is again cut and tied to another steel angle sticking up from some cinder block piled on top of a building's facade. This is the last support before the wire traverses the street to a building across the street where another minibridge was installed.

I'm not looking to sue but I would like to help Cablevision to comply with acceptable standards and reduce risks due to substandard work. The mini bridge in back of my building has been a mess for years and I was told last summer that this minibridge would be scheduled for rehab. Looking around the neighborhood I see many loose coax ends hanging from utility poles. This cannot be a good thing. I realize this neighborhood may be somewhat of a nightmare to deal with but from what I see it's only getting a lot worse.

My immediate concern is that they want to run more connections to my building and I don't want this kind of shoddy workmanship crapping up my building and endangering the tenants and equipment.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

Call CV, tell them the work is unacceptable, and see if they can schedule a survey of the work to see how to proceed next.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to currly

Premium Member

to currly
Crappy hack job? Looks like it to me.
Dangerous? Doubtful...don't lose sleep over it. But call CV and have them check it out.

I think the razor wire is more dangerous - blocking rescue / egress in an emergency.

Is that some sort of a vent pipe in the third picture with a 90 degree elbow missing?

StreetSpirit
This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

1 edit

StreetSpirit to currly

Premium Member

to currly
WOW! I thought those went out with the 90s.

Amazing Call them and demand a satisfactory job.

--
Good luck
Be careful with the razor wire. It looks like you're building your own scale model of the Berlin Wall Where in Bk is this?

Have a nice one, hope things get fixed to your satisfaction.

--
Dave

currly
join:2005-02-11
Brooklyn, NY

currly

Yeah, someone bought that building and put the razor wire there. I'm just going to throw an old rug across it next time I go up there. I'm not sure what you see as the 3rd pic, jaa, but for me the third pic is the tree that the installer commissioned as an ad hoc utility pole. The rest of the pictures show 1 1/4 " pipe embedded in the top of the wall making up part of an unfinished railing around the roof.

I'm not as worried about the danger as I am the snowballing detrimental effect on Cablevision's service in the neighborhood which includes MY service. However, if lightning can cause a surge inside my building and zap a modem and a NIC card and if that crazy installation somehow enabled that surge, then I won't completely rule out the aspect of possible physical hazard.

The thing is that now CV is giving one of my tenants grief because they insist that they connect a ground wire to my water supply. While I appreciate the nod to proper procedure it seems rather random after looking at this job which runs off the very same pole. I want to insist that they provide drawings and ,at least, detailed specifications of the proposed work. I don't want more of this kind of situation, especially when it's actually connected to my building.

aannon
@optonline.net

aannon

Anon

Yea it's probably temped out due to either a few things.
1 cable could have been damaged and to get everyone on they ran rg11 and refered it to there construction dept.
2 they might have a rebuild or extention in plan someone complained they want service so they did a temp. job
3 seen this alot a building owner just cut the cable off there building and again goes back to the 1st answer

Scaredroof
@optonline.net

Scaredroof

Anon

If the line was damaged then you should be happy he went thru all of that to get service back on. Construction will come back and correct it.
FSchmertz
join:2007-07-01
West Milford, NJ

1 recommendation

FSchmertz

I saw the razor wire and thought you were lucky they even ran CV into the prison.

currly
join:2005-02-11
Brooklyn, NY

currly

It's a new install for a building 1 1/2 blocks over with a new minibridge attached. I'm not gonna hold my breath until construction gets here to rectify but it will be nice if they do. It's been 2 months since this and over a year since I was told the old minibridge was up for rehab.

Since the techs are here I'd like to ask why doesn't CV just ground their equipment with groundrods if they don't have access to building services?

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to currly

Premium Member

to currly
Yikes!

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to currly

to currly
Very messy... I think what you pinpoint as a mini bridge is actually a line amp... Either way - this looks completely convoluted - I am not sure what would be yours vs. your neighbors... on the other hand: unless you are the property owner I would suggest don't worry - as long as your connection works you are fine....