chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 recommendation

[Info] User Profile Hive Cleanup v 1.6g

A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems.

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off.

Version: 1.6g
Date: 8/16/2012
Supported: Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/download···?id=6676

You can get more information about UPHClean: »blogs.technet.com/uphclean
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Thanks for the link. I install it on all computers and added it to my image.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

OMG... they finally updated this thing!??
Going to do grab it right now for Windows XP SP3.
Thanks so much chachazz See Profile for posting this helpful service update!

JRosenfeld

join:2005-06-06
UK

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

Actually the .msi downloaded from your link installs UPHclean v 1.6.36.0, which is the same as I've had since 2010 (in fact it has date modified 13 Sept 2010). I did uninstall before installing again.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Hmm, interesting. I've just installed it (after unistalling previous version) and it updated service from my old version (1.6d = v1.6.30) to this new version (1.6g = v1.3.36).

I always wondered - why it's not a part of the OS? Why OS doesn't do the job in the first place and requires installation of that additional service? IMHO, It should be included from the beginning.

Thank you, chachazz See Profile for the heads up!
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 edits
reply to JRosenfeld

I think your right...
I haven't verified the download link but, I'm wondering why the publish date was updated by Microsoft?
»blogs.technet.com/b/uphclean/arc···ild.aspx
The above links point to an even newer version; UPH 2.0.49.0 BETA which works well on Windows XP.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

1 edit
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

Hmm, interesting. I've just installed it (after unistalling previous version) and it updated service from my old version (1.6d = v1.6.30) to this new version (1.6g = v1.3.36).

I always wondered - why it's not a part of the OS? Why OS doesn't do the job in the first place and requires installation of that additional service? IMHO, It should be included from the beginning.

Thank you, chachazz See Profile for the heads up!

It's think Microsoft included it in Windows Vista and higher, just not for the OS's mentioned.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

Click for full size
said by Dustyn:

It's think Microsoft included it in Windows Vista and higher, just not for the OS's mentioned.

What service is that? I ask because I get the following warning every time I reboot (See Picture).

Of course, that assumes this fix for XP solves the problem I'm having in Windows 7. If not, then I'll need to investigate this further!

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Yeah that's the service I mean. And I get those errors on Windows 7. However it affects a different program, SASCore64.exe.
I get a couple here and there when I reboot.
And the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service that chachazz See Profile mentions is not for Windows 7.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

I'm guessing its the 'User Profile Service"?

If it is, its currently running, with a startup type of Automatic.

And, I did see that the application that chachazz See Profile did post about was not for Windows 7. But, when you said it maybe built into Vista and later, I figured I would go looking to see if it was running or not.

So, there must be something else going on then with (in this case) McAfee that is throwing this error.

Its not a big deal, but when I saw "User Profile Hive Cleanup", I thought that maybe this could solve my problem. Guess not.

--Brian

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

Yes.
Automatic startup is normal.

For the offending program on my machine, I've contacted SAS to see if they can tweak the offending service SASCore64.exe so it's not terminated so unexpectedly at shutdown as it seems to keep handles open. They don't seem too concerned about the error as they have yet to fix it. However, there are no ill effects.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to plencnerb

Yes, it is. In WXP it's under the name "User Profile Hive Cleanup" (UPHClean). And that's exactly why I installed and run it (to get rid of such messages at shutdown time).
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
reply to plencnerb

This is from a 28 Feb 2008 blog post by the UPHClean author:

»blogs.technet.com/b/uphclean/arc···ean.aspx

UPHClean fails to install on Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. This happens because the User Profile service included with those operating system includes the functionality of UPHClean v1.6 built in. There is no point in having UPHClean perform its monitoring work when the profile service does all necessary work to prevent user hive fails from occuring.

Whereas UPHClean logs event 1401 to indicate that it took action to resolve a problem that would have prevent a user profile hive from unloading, the User Profile service logs event 1530.

[snip]

The event is there so you know that the system took action. That way you could know that if the application fails in some way you can investigate whether this action might be involved in the failure. Generally my advice for this (as for UPHClean event 1401) is to ignore it.

I wondered if the above might apply to Windows 7 as well.

JRosenfeld

join:2005-06-06
UK

1 recommendation

reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

I think your right...
I haven't verified the download link but, I'm wondering why the publish date was updated by Microsoft?
»blogs.technet.com/b/uphclean/arc···ild.aspx
The above links point to an even newer version; UPH 2.0.49.0 BETA which works well on Windows XP.

I had tried the version 2 beta a long time ago, but on my XP pro SP3 syastem (as of circa 2010) it did not always work as intended, so I reverted to 1.6 which soes.