join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to rradina

Re: Technically possible...and decent if done right

IP tracking etc. is easy; AT&T can already do data by session, and doing data collection by source/destination is just one additional small step. If content providers want fine-grained information, AT&T can give it to them (even though the content providers could just as easily do such audits from their side...actually it would be easier to do it on the content provider side).

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Assuming the app accesses only their content. What if it accesses other data such as map data from Google or Microsoft? What about content from Akamai cached content servers?

Regardless, you still haven't supported your assertion as to why an ISP would settle for $5000 when they could get $8000.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
On the "only their content" issue, my guess is that AT&T would have contracts with the upstream data providers rather than the app makers whose content isn't being pulled. Also, remember that this sort of thing only makes sense on data-intensive applications; people aren't going to go over their caps pulling down maps. On the Akamai side, I guarantee that there will be certain Akamai IPs where Akamai will bundle CDN services and toll-free data into one product, if this catches on. Same for other CDNs.

As for why the ISP would leave money on the table, they wouldn't be. Billing efficiencies are one reason. Another is that cheaper data will stimulate demand, possibly to above (in revenue terms) what they would be if a user had to pay for the data directly (at a higher rate). Call it the Southwest Effect of data.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
I already disputed the billing efficiencies. Read earlier reply to your post.

How is this cheaper for the consumer? It's a big game where the consumers gets to pay more for something that should just be included in the ridiculous price we already pay.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
*shrugs* It all comes down to how a private corporation wants to run their network and allocate scarce resources (spectrum) to subscribers. Toll-free data, where the content provider pays, is one way of doing this in a net-neutral way (if it is done according to certain specific parameters). Remember that telco-grade network equipment for licensed spectrum is expensive...

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
And every report I read says the price keeps dropping to deliver the same amount year over year. So much for that expensive telco gear.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
At the backbone level, sure. I can get a 10-gigabit backbone line for $7500 now, whereas it was $10000 under the same terms last year. However that bandwidth is delivered to a data center in Dallas. There's a lot of middle- and last-mile gear between that point and the subscriber.