Packet Loss
Packet Loss
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Guelph, ON

Packet Loss

Premium Member

[DSL] DryLoop

Before cutting off Bell phone service, how long it takes to switch over to DryLoop?
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

The dry loop should be setup on the 2nd pair of wires coming into your home first... This avoids any down time.
Expand your moderator at work
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Packet Loss

Premium Member

to Packet Loss

Re: [DSL] DryLoop

I hope the direct guys don't mind me quoting them but this is what I was told when I asked the same question:
quote:
There may be some downtime on the change but it will be minimal. Essentially you would have to setup for the change of phone service first and then inform us of the date that your regular phone line will be dropped. We would then request the activation of the dry loop for the next business day. We need at least 5 business days notice in order to make this request.

There is a possibility that a tech may be required to activate the dry loop, if that is the case it will be an 8-5 time frame.

The change to dry loop is treated as a whole new order so there will be an activation fee of $69.99 plus the first month of service that will be due when the order is placed. Then any time remaining from your regular DSL will be credited back onto your next statement with the dry loop.

The pricing for the dry loop itself varies depending on the area. If I have the correct address here you would be looking at an additional $9.10 + tax on top of what you are currently paying monthly.

If you're cool to do some internal rewiring then Koreyb's idea is a good one. There's only 6/800 DSL in my area. When all considered I ended up paying a little extra upfront and switched to cable instead. Monthly I now pay within a couple of dollars of the dryloop DSL6 cost but with better speeds cable provides. Cable install process went flawlessly and on time.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to koreyb

Premium Member

to koreyb
said by koreyb:

The dry loop should be setup on the 2nd pair of wires coming into your home first... This avoids any down time.

That is the ideal method to do such a switch. However Bell often does not use that method unless they are specifically requested.
spamroaster
join:2012-11-15

spamroaster to koreyb

to koreyb
Since some of the folks here seem to know more than the front line people I'll get at Bell (or perhaps even Teksavvy), I hope someone can walk me through the best way to proceed in my situation.

Currently I have DSL with Bell and 2 separate lines (one residential, one business - which my employer covers and I never see the bills). I want to switch to Teksavvy with minimal downtime but already know I can't port my number and need to go dry-loop. In the end I should have the same business line with Bell (tying up one pair) and Internet and VoIP service with Teksavvy.

So here's what I'm wondering. What should I cancel first with Bell? Since the second pair on the line is already tied up on the business number, I can't get a dry loop installed until I deactivate my residential line (also killing DSL).

Any advice on steps with each provider?

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Since you will be going with a dryloop & voip... it may depend if you are getting a new phone # or getting a new one.

If getting a new one, cancel your services, find out what your cancellation date is & get a dryloop service for the day the service gets cancelled.

If you keep the phone #, don't cancel phone so that you don't have issues proting the #. But DSL may have to be cancelled on the day the porting is to happen. Once you have the date of the cancellation of your DSL, place the dryloop on that date.

Martin
spamroaster
join:2012-11-15

spamroaster

Thanks for the quick reply Martin - I was informed today that TSI can no longer port numbers over from Bell (something about a limit being reached) so I have no choice but to get a new number to use with TekTalk). Since the goal is to save $$s overall, we'll just cancel the old number (even though its a bit of a pain).

Working hard to become a Teksavvy customer - trusting you guys will work to keep my business once you have it!

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

As far as I know if it's a porting from Bell to TekTalk, we may be able to retain the #, but from Bell to our Home Phone, that wouldn't be possible.

If you'd like to PM your # & address I can double check to make sure we can port or not the # to our TekTalk service.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp to Packet Loss

to Packet Loss
I did last March what it appears you're in the midst of planning. Installing the dry loop in parallel to the existing services allowed me to activate VDSL and VoIP without *any* stress. Definately the recommended approach if this is an option for you too.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34

If the second pair were not available (already used for another line/person), will Bell run a 2nd drop to the house with additional pairs? Underground?

Are extra charges incurred for that, or is that just absorbed into the cost of supplying a service?

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

Bell ran a new second line and installed a NID to activate my dry loop. I didn't pay any extra fees beyond those already specified.