uniqs
share rss forum feed

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to Kev

Re: [DSL] DryLoop

The dry loop should be setup on the 2nd pair of wires coming into your home first... This avoids any down time.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by koreyb:

The dry loop should be setup on the 2nd pair of wires coming into your home first... This avoids any down time.

That is the ideal method to do such a switch. However Bell often does not use that method unless they are specifically requested.

spamroaster

join:2012-11-15
reply to koreyb
Since some of the folks here seem to know more than the front line people I'll get at Bell (or perhaps even Teksavvy), I hope someone can walk me through the best way to proceed in my situation.

Currently I have DSL with Bell and 2 separate lines (one residential, one business - which my employer covers and I never see the bills). I want to switch to Teksavvy with minimal downtime but already know I can't port my number and need to go dry-loop. In the end I should have the same business line with Bell (tying up one pair) and Internet and VoIP service with Teksavvy.

So here's what I'm wondering. What should I cancel first with Bell? Since the second pair on the line is already tied up on the business number, I can't get a dry loop installed until I deactivate my residential line (also killing DSL).

Any advice on steps with each provider?

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Since you will be going with a dryloop & voip... it may depend if you are getting a new phone # or getting a new one.

If getting a new one, cancel your services, find out what your cancellation date is & get a dryloop service for the day the service gets cancelled.

If you keep the phone #, don't cancel phone so that you don't have issues proting the #. But DSL may have to be cancelled on the day the porting is to happen. Once you have the date of the cancellation of your DSL, place the dryloop on that date.

Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

spamroaster

join:2012-11-15
Thanks for the quick reply Martin - I was informed today that TSI can no longer port numbers over from Bell (something about a limit being reached) so I have no choice but to get a new number to use with TekTalk). Since the goal is to save $$s overall, we'll just cancel the old number (even though its a bit of a pain).

Working hard to become a Teksavvy customer - trusting you guys will work to keep my business once you have it!

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
As far as I know if it's a porting from Bell to TekTalk, we may be able to retain the #, but from Bell to our Home Phone, that wouldn't be possible.

If you'd like to PM your # & address I can double check to make sure we can port or not the # to our TekTalk service.