Anon

[Ultra/Lite] my lite isnt 6MB downoad speed and 20 GB monthy use

so why dont i get the speed and monthly use age i should get

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

Re: [Ultra/Lite] my lite isnt 6MB downoad speed and 20 GB monthy

This is the new Lite package which is $38.49 a month vs. $35.99 and requires a D3 modem. If you want to change to the new package and you already have a D3 modem just call rogers and request the changes. If you only have a D2, then go to a rogers store and swap your modem and request the new Lite package.
anon3313
join:2009-07-10
canada

anon3313 to xbox1011

to xbox1011
Yes, and be clear the swap to a new D3 modem means your monthly rate will increase. After I called and asked a CSR about my 'Express' account and how it showed I had only a 60GB limit and not the advertised 80GB, I was simply told to swap my modem at a ROGERS store. What I wasn't told was that this also meant my price per month was also going to increase! Small omission... The increase was not worth the 20GB increase.

xbox1011
@rogers.com

xbox1011 to xbox1011

Anon

to xbox1011
is this a d3 modem

»i45.tinypic.com/rixnv6.jpg

we bought this so we dont have to pay modem rental. and will rogers give a penalty of $381 for changing my contract which expires in December. and can i do all the changes through rogers live chat.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

It's a dpc2100 Docsis 2 modem. Worth $79 2 years ago at the Rogers store. Bought one myself. Worked great till I had to upgrade to D3. Don't know about the contract changing stuff. Never had one...

xbox1011
@rogers.com

xbox1011

Anon

Lite package should not need more than that modem, am i right

elitefx
London, ON

1 recommendation

elitefx

said by xbox1011:

Lite package should not need more than that modem, am i right

Yes you are. As a matter of fact, The Express 18mbps package is offered by other providers on a D2 modem also. This is why Rogers is losing customers by the boatload.....

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr to xbox1011

Anon

to xbox1011
There should not be a penalty for changing your internet plan. Please don't use live chat, those people don't know what they're doing.
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter to xbox1011

to xbox1011
The D2 modems are quite capable of providing both Lite and Express plans with the advertised speeds and usage allowances. However, if Rogers were to provide those, it would reduce the incentive to cave in to Rogers blackmail attempts in convincing customers to switch to one of their D3 modems where of course you will be charged a higher price. It does not matter to Rogers that the D3 modems do not live up to what they advertise - only that they get customers off of the older D2 modems at a higher cost to the customer!
anon3313
canada

anon3313

Right Hooter!
Why would the modem I have (D2) on express in any way control the monthly download limit?? It didnt make any sense when the CSR told me that. So my D2 modem cant have the quota changed to the advertised 80GB from the 60GB I have now on Express service?? It just sounded like bull when the CSR said I needed a new modem to have the quota changed to 80GB as advertised. The speed doesnt change - still 18Mb..... so annoyed they didnt mention the rate increase either if I did it.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

I don't get it. There is no rate increase on the 60GB to 80Gb Express. You go out to your favorite Rogers store and buy a D3 modem. Then Rogers will activate it and upgrade your account to the 80gb Express package at no charge. Been there, done that. Doesn't cost a penny more. Your monthly bill is exactly the same. $48.99 + tax=$55.36...
Hooter
join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Hooter

If you rent the modem, the rental fee does increase though for a D3 as compared to a D2.

elitefx
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx

Yea, but who in their right mind is going to pay $7.00 + Hst=$7.91 a month into perpetuity to rent a modem. Thing will end up costing $10,000. D3 is the end of the line for HFC upgrades. D3 will be here for a loooong time. And for Rogers to charge $8.00 + tax/month for the Hitron, well........

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

said by elitefx:

D3 will be here for a loooong time. And for Rogers to charge $8.00 + tax/month for the Hitron, well........

Not necessarily. When D3 modems came out, most vendors only supported 4 bonded channels on the downstream, now many support 8. There are already D3 modems that are commercially available that support over 20 bonded channels on the downstream. As the demand for faster speeds grow, we'll need D3 modems that can bond more channels than the 8 that is currently supported by the Rogers hardware.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

said by yyzlhr :

As the demand for faster speeds grow, we'll need D3 modems that can bond more channels than the 8 that is currently supported by the Rogers hardware.

Well, IMHO that'll be a firmware upgrade not a D3 modem replacement ALSO the current Cisco modem supports IPv6 which is the next step in D3 evolution. They're not going to keep increasing downstream channels exponentially. The current Cisco D3 8/4 series modems are here for the long haul. We're looking at 10 years off at least. Once again, my opinion....
anon3313
canada

anon3313 to xbox1011

to xbox1011
I guess my original question still stands 'elitefx'. Why cant my profile simply be changed to the 80GB/mo limit with my current D2 modem? Why is a D3 required simply to change the monthly quota from 60GB to 80GB? The speed stays the same. This is just a configuration change - not clear why I need new hardware for that.

elitefx
London, ON

4 edits

elitefx

said by anon3313:

I guess my original question still stands 'elitefx'. Why cant my profile simply be changed to the 80GB/mo limit with my current D2 modem?

Bottom line: Rogers just flat out refuses to do it. Back a couple months ago this was THE big issue here. Folks being forced to rent/buy a D3 modem for tiers that in no way, shape or form required one. I complained to the CRTC. Was told by them it was out of their hands. Guys were screaming like hell. The powers that be neither listened or cared. I was on the grandfathered 10/.512 Express D2 package and got fed up with paying $55 w/tx for a 60GB cap so I bought a D3 modem. Still have the D2 that I own. Looks and works like brand new. Sitting in it's box. What a waste. Don't know what to tell you. The older threads here pretty much tell the whole story. Lot of unhappy people coping with Rogers fascist demands. Here's some of it.....

»Stealth speed upgrade for Lite
»[Extreme] New data caps and need for new Modem
»the new express speeds?
»[Express] Cisco DPC3008 does work on Rogers!
anon3313
canada

anon3313

Thanks for that info elitefx. I missed those threads and it does look like I am late in this discussion. So you were able to purchase a D3 (hopefully NOT the gateway!) and get the 18MB/512K and 80GB limit? (DPC3008 or DPC3010)?
I am not sure it is worth all the screwing around since it seems like an uphill battle to get it provisioned. So far I am coming very close to 60GB, but havent crossed. I really should look for another ISP - long term Rogers customers get screwed...