uniqs

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

FizzyMyNizzy to rusdi

to rusdi

Re: Suggestion on a decently priced 256 GB SSD?

said by rusdi:

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I've had this one for ten months, running 24/7.
No problems at all, and it's incredibly fast
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20226237
I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Don't be afraid of the SSD. They are getting better, and cheaper!

Might be better to spend the extra $20 and go for »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20226226

You get Toshiba NAND, and faster than the non-deluxe version.

The Intel 520 - 240GB and the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB, is some what the same. Both use LSI SandForce 2281. Only diff is Mushkin use Toshiba NAND, and Intel use Intel NAND.

Mushkin does have more IOPS over the Intel one.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
»www.mushkin.com/Digital- ··· -DX.aspx

Intel 520 - 240GB
»ark.intel.com/products/6 ··· 5nm-MLC)

=========================

Also, about the OCZ drive. What can I say, things does break. All the problems OCZ has was mostly a SandForce controller. That's why later on OCZ bought over Indilinx and use it for their Vertex 4, and Agility 4. There are many other company that use Indilinx also. It use to be one side is faster than the other side. Later on OCZ make it better the read/write speed is more like LSI Sandforce read/write speed.

==========================

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is Asynchronous

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and Intel 520 is Synchronous

Synchronous > Asynchronous

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Desktop Boot HDD Test

Notebook Boot HDD Test
Well, here are the benchmarks. Yeah... they definitely are shitty.

These tests were done on the old spinning HDDs, not the SSDs.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi to FizzyMyNizzy

MVM

to FizzyMyNizzy
My "next" build will be with the Mushkin deluxe version. They are now more than $100.00 cheaper than I paid for the non-deluxe!!

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Click for full size
Just so you get an idea of what to expect vs a traditional HDD
WD Black 1TB SATAII running at SATAII speeds vs a Mushkin Deluxe 60GB SSD SATAIII running at SATAII speeds. PC is a Core i5-750 with 6GB of RAM running Windows 7 Pro (WEI 7.3).

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

That SSD access time would be so wonderful.

This is my current raid 0 using 2 Western Digital Black 500GB drives.

RAID 0 with 2 500GB WDC Black HDs

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to FizzyMyNizzy

MVM

to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by rusdi:

Not 256GB, but 240GB.

I've had this one for ten months, running 24/7.
No problems at all, and it's incredibly fast
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20226237
I also have a 1TB mechanical HD I keep all my Winamp tunes @ a movie or three. I have a short-cut on the desktop, (Mushkin SSD) C: drive pointing to anything big data size wise on the mechanical drive. Saves space on the SSD, and still performs blazing fast!

Don't be afraid of the SSD. They are getting better, and cheaper!

Might be better to spend the extra $20 and go for »www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 20226226

You get Toshiba NAND, and faster than the non-deluxe version.

The Intel 520 - 240GB and the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB, is some what the same. Both use LSI SandForce 2281. Only diff is Mushkin use Toshiba NAND, and Intel use Intel NAND.

Mushkin does have more IOPS over the Intel one.

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240GB
»www.mushkin.com/Digital- ··· -DX.aspx

Intel 520 - 240GB
»ark.intel.com/products/6 ··· 5nm-MLC)

=========================

Also, about the OCZ drive. What can I say, things does break. All the problems OCZ was mostly a SandForce controller. That's why later on OCZ bought over Indilinx and use it for their Vertex 4, and Agility 4. There are many other company that use Indilinx also. It use to be one side is faster than the other side. Later on OCZ make it better the read/write speed is more like LSI Sandforce read/write speed.

==========================

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos is Asynchronous

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe and Intel 520 is Synchronous

Synchronous > Asynchronous

Actually there is a little more to it then that:
quote:
Intel was rumored to be working on a SandForce based drive for several months now, but even the rumors couldn't encapsulate just how long Intel and SF has worked on this drive. According to Intel, the relationship began 1.5 years ago. Still lacking a 6Gbps controller of their own and wanting to remain competitive with the rest of the market, Intel approached SandForce about building a drive based on the (at the time) unreleased SF-2281 controller. Roughly six months later, initial testing and validation began on the drive. That's right, around the time that OCZ was previewing the first Vertex 3 Pro, Intel was just beginning its extensive validation process.

Codenamed Cherryville, Intel's SSD 520 would go through a full year of validation before Intel would sign off on the drive for release. In fact, it was some unresolved issues that cropped up during Intel's validation that pushed Cherryville back from the late 2011 release to today.

Intel's strenuous validation will eventually make SandForce's drives better for everyone, but for now the Cherryville firmware remains exclusive. Intel wouldn't go on record with details of its arrangement with SandForce, but from what I've managed to piece together the Intel Cherryville firmware is exclusive for a limited period of time. That exclusivity agreement likely expires sometime after the SF-2281 is replaced by a 3rd generation controller. There are some loopholes that allow SandForce to port bug fixes to general partner firmware but the specific terms aren't public information. The important takeaway is anything fixed in Intel's firmware isn't necessarily going to be fixed in other SF-2281 based drives in the near term. This is an important distinction because although Cherryville performs very similarly to other SF-2281 drives, it should be more reliable.

»www.anandtech.com/show/5 ··· ndforce/

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to rusdi

to rusdi
said by rusdi:

My "next" build will be with the Mushkin deluxe version. They are now more than $100.00 cheaper than I paid for the non-deluxe!!

I should of bought 2 awhile back, when it was like $179.
FizzyMyNizzy

FizzyMyNizzy to sk1939

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

WD Black 1TB SATAII running at SATAII speeds vs a Mushkin Deluxe 60GB SSD SATAIII running at SATAII speeds. PC is a Core i5-750 with 6GB of RAM running Windows 7 Pro (WEI 7.3).

Something weird about your SSD.

This is my G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 60GB

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Well it's pretty full with only 2.5GB free at the moment which may be why.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

That SSD access time would be so wonderful.

This is my current raid 0 using 2 Western Digital Black 500GB drives.

[att=1]

Man, what am I doing wrong. I have two WD Caviar Black 640 GB drives in RAID 0 and I get about half your throughput. I'll have to check my x58 raid controller...