share rss forum feed

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to mab631

Re: Month old XPS 8500 will not boot?

Seriously? You cant get time off from work. There is certainly more to the job situation than meets the eye. Unless you work at foxconn or in russia then you can get time off.
--
Professional student pilot!

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

2 edits

If he doesn't work he doesn't get paid. His boss won't have any legal problems firing him either. And where or how is said tech going to troubleshoot or fix the problem at his workplace? Doesn't have to be a place with sensitive information, if the tech isn't an employee, he is trespassing or somewhere in that company's property he isn't supposed to be.

Best bet is someone to be at home or ship it. That their profits are already razor thin is maybe why they don't want to spring for the cost of shipping the computer and man hours to determine the problem.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

mab631
Premium
join:2003-08-22
Mastic Beach, NY

I would like to just say after today Dell will be mailing me a new desktop and i will be shipping back the old lemon desktop! It took some time guys but it was worth it. This is a side question but i have heard Dell PSU are well lets say garbage, would it be worth it to replace it with a better one if so would you guys have a recommendation or should i just leave it?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to mab631

said by mab631:

I bought it from Dell directly thinking that would make my life easier in life. I don't have any of the original boxes and to be honest i feel i shouldn't have to pay for shipping a 30lb computer with no fault on my end. Their warranty clearly states "In some cases, where we can determine over the telephone that a replacement Computer Device will be necessary, we may in our discretion,
ship you a replacement Computer Device immediately. However, if you fail to return the damaged Computer Device to us, you agree that you are responsible for the retail price of the replacement
Computer Device." But will not help me out, I have no problem doing what this policy states which is i get a new desktop(unit) and i ship the old unusable unit back. Thank you bbear2 for understanding about my job.

To be honest bro, the "I can't take off work" issue is YOUR issue and not Dell's. The customer agreement stipulates how they must honor their contract, and it's not their problem if you can't work with them. You want to get your cake and eat it too, and life doesn't work that way. Next time pound in and take a sick day or coordinate the same day to be on a day you have a doctor's appointment or service day for the car. I find it hard to believe your boss will refuse to ever give you a sick or vacation day.

This is exactly why I recommend to everyone that they avoid pre-built systems from companies like Dell and simply build themselves. It is almost always cheaper (assuming you are spending more than $500 on a system) and you get longer manufacturers' warranties on the components FOR FREE than what Dell will charge you for their BS extended warranties.

Seriously. If you can put Legos together, you can build a computer.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to mab631

"but i have heard Dell PSU are well lets say garbage, would it be worth it to replace it with a better one if so would you guys have a recommendation or should i just leave it?"

You need to just leave it, especially as they are willing to send you a completely new machine. If you modify the hardware they are not going to be as flexible with any future problems.

Balzer

join:2000-12-18
Owasso, OK
reply to Krisnatharok

I understand what you are saying but, and your right it's not dells problems at all also this is not an extended bs warranty this is a standard next biz day on site service call. That's hard to beat. Some of the services companies will also do weekends, the one I worked for did.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by Balzer:

I understand what you are saying but, and your right it's not dells problems at all also this is not an extended bs warranty this is a standard next biz day on site service call. That's hard to beat. Some of the services companies will also do weekends, the one I worked for did.

I suppose for someone completely foreign to computers, but I doubt there is anything a tech could do on a computer I can't (unless he is soldering capacitors or something like that, but I doubt your basic Dell tech would be able to do that).

I'd rather RMA one component with a 3-5 year warranty (at no cost) vs. shipping the whole computer and risking damage to something else in transit (and dealing that claim too).

Anyways, I'll stop bashing Dell because that's not the point of this thread (or is it?).
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Balzer

join:2000-12-18
Owasso, OK

With all dell desktop's you don't have to ship it, they come on site at no additional cost. Some laptops are sent in but you can push and make it a 3 day turn around. And no they don't replace caps.