signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I've been wondering...

Has anybody ever gotten a square deal off of one of these small lot car sellers? There are lots of them where I live, and I'm guessing a lot of them have easy credit scams...

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Don't get financing from them - get your own financing. If the car is in good shape and a decent price.... A good deal can be had. But most of the cars there will be pretty crappy (my experience at least) and financing there expensive. I personally would try and buy privately first.

Lurch77
Premium Member
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
Only buy from a small lot that has an established good reputation. We have a lot here in town that has been around for a while. They are known to sell good cars at good prices. But 30 miles away in Green Bay, small lots come and go all the time. They pop up, sell a few junkers, then disappear. You want to buy a car from a business that will still be around later if you need them.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to CylonRed

to CylonRed
Why would anyone get inflated financing from a bank, when you can get 1.9% APR for a "certified used car"?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Good god -

1) The OP is not talking about a dealer that has certified used cars. Many of these places are much cheaper than a dealer price of any kind.

2) Not all certified cars get 1.9%

3) Not all folks have the FICO score to get the 1.9%

Those are thought of in less than 10 seconds of thinking about it.

BTW - I did not specify a bank - just to bring your own, for the type of place the OP is referring to.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
You would need the cash but auto auctions can be a decent place to get a car if you know what you are doing. Know a few people who get cars at them for their kids. But they do have automotive experience and know what they are doing when they go to the auctions.
The auctions that are more designed to trade cars between all types of dealers and some private parties. Not those high dollar ones that you see selling million dollar cars.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium Member
join:2004-04-13
Canada

BonezX

Premium Member

said by nonymous:

You would need the cash but auto auctions can be a decent place to get a car if you know what you are doing. Know a few people who get cars at them for their kids. But they do have automotive experience and know what they are doing when they go to the auctions.
The auctions that are more designed to trade cars between all types of dealers and some private parties. Not those high dollar ones that you see selling million dollar cars.

repo/police auctions, you can find the most amusing things there.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

1 edit

The Pig to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
If they don't have prices in large numbers you can see while driving by, keep driving!

Certified used cars?
Why do I need a certified used car dealer to tell me it's a used car?
All they do is change the oil and air filter and maybe check tire pressure then wash and shine it up!

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

The term certified usually means the car meets certain criteria (age, mileage, etc.), making it eligible for an extended warranty.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig

Premium Member

said by No_Strings:

The term certified usually means the car meets certain criteria (age, mileage, etc.), making it eligible for an extended warranty.

That doesn't sound right!
how can they get a legit warranty for (say) a 10 year old car?
If it one of the dealers warranty you may want a lawyer to review the warranty before signing anything!

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

said by The Pig:

They don't certify 10 year-old vehicles. That's not really the point, though. A service contract of any type is like an insurance policy - you're betting you'll need it; the company selling it is betting you don't.
said by The Pig:

If it one of the dealers warranty you may want a lawyer to review the warranty before signing anything!

Any contract should be read and understood before it is signed. Whether you're buying a new car or a used one, you should know what coverage exists and determine the value of it. That value can be in real dollars on cost avoidance, in peace of mind or both.

The point was simply that "Certified" used is a standard industry term and may differentiate a vehicle from one that is not.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to The Pig

to The Pig
For example, Honda certified used cars are less than 6 years old and have a maximum of 80,000 miles. They come with a free Carfax history report, a 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty (or an extension to 4 years / 48,000 miles if within the original warranty period), and a 7 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to BonezX

Premium Member

to BonezX
said by BonezX:

repo/police auctions, you can find the most amusing things there.

+1. I've seen my share of good and interesting things at those
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to The Pig

Premium Member

to The Pig
said by The Pig:

The seller doesn't "get" a warranty, he "gives" a warranty.

If I were so inclined, I suppose I could have given a warranty with the 14-year-old Civic I disposed of. My asking price would have gone up substantially, however, to cover my (really quite high) risk. I'd have probably wanted an extra $20K or so to issue that warranty