how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

prokkos

join:2003-11-14
Holmdel, NJ

Another Monmouth County NJ Update

Can I get an update on what the latest equipment and services are like in central NJ, monmouth County.

I was a long time Comcast customer until I switched over to FIOS in mid-2010. At the time, if I recall, monmouth was way behind on a number of services, stuck with the Scientific Atlanta boxes with no updated guides, no remote DVR programming, etc.

What type of boxes do you get as a new customer today?

Any thoughts on whether Comcast in this area provides a better service offering for cable tv than FIOS?

Thanks.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits

Since you last asked about 3 months ago (»Monmouth County NJ - Better than FIOS?), there have been a few changes and service upgrades in the Monmouth County System.

If you have been monitoring this forum recently, you may have seen that the duplicate HD channels in the 200's were removed just this week (»Upcoming Changes and »Comcast Central NJ Middlesex Lineup with Philly HD & WLNY) with a few new channels added, such as the Pac-12 network national channel (»PAC12 Network), so that the latest Monmouth County channel lineup is now this: »www.xfinityhd800s.com/pdf/MONMOUTH.pdf

On the high-speed internet side, Comcast just recently upgraded the speeds on the higher tiers in this area (»[Speed] Northeast speed changes coming..), released firmware updates for some cable modem models (»SB6120 Firmware Updated (7/19/12) and »[Connectivity] Zoom 5341j firmware upgrade..), and added some new modems to the approved devices list (»Re: [Connectivity] Mototola SB 6141).

EDIT: I don't think there have been any new models of STBs or DVRs deployed over the last 3 months, but a program guide update (to version "S26") is expected to be downloaded soon to the SA/Cisco boxes in this area (»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)) with the much improved "On-Screen Guide 2.0" version to be available sometime soon in any new equipment that is obtained: »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ

Thanks for the update. Looks like Comcast still has not updated to bring in multi room DVR into my area. Given that they still charge much more than FIOS for comparable service, as much as I like the iPad live TV app capabilities, its not worth switching until they catch up in that respect.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by prokkos:

Thanks for the update. Looks like Comcast still has not updated to bring in multi room DVR into my area.

Yes, the "AnyRoom" DVR service requires On-Screen Guide 2.0, which hasn't been deployed in this area yet, but hopefully will be available sometime soon.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
reply to prokkos

said by prokkos:

Thanks for the update. Looks like Comcast still has not updated to bring in multi room DVR into my area. Given that they still charge much more than FIOS for comparable service, as much as I like the iPad live TV app capabilities, its not worth switching until they catch up in that respect.

You're correct. Actually, since they're dragging their feet on S26, we don't have ANY capabilities involving MyDVR or the iPhone apps. But we certainly pay for them even if we can't use them. Great customer service, huh?

As an aside, for what it's worth, the SA/Cisco boxes are actually considered by many to be more advanced and capable than the comparable Motorola boxes. It's not the boxes themselves, but the company that owns them. Comcast could have given us all of the Moto services years ago, but they chose not to. The only thing they don't forget about in the SA areas is the monthly bill - which is the same price as everywhere else for fewer services.

If I had FiOS available to me, I'd subscribe on principle alone. Comcast's business model consists of all of the worst traits of a monopolistic, price-gouging, company. When a company has to put a glass divider in between the public and its employees at its offices, you know things are bad.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by prokkos:

Thanks for the update. Looks like Comcast still has not updated to bring in multi room DVR into my area.

Yes, the "AnyRoom" DVR service requires On-Screen Guide 2.0, which hasn't been deployed in this area yet, but hopefully will be available sometime soon.

I don't think it will be "soon." NJ is NOT publically scheduled for On-Screen Guide 2.0 or 3.0 for this year. The most likely time frame will be in 2013. Comcast schedules are subject to change.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

Well "soon" is a relative term, especially when talking with respect to the usual Comcast timescales.

I will be happy to just get the update to version S26 by the end of this year!

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

said by telcodad:

Well "soon" is a relative term, especially when talking with respect to the usual Comcast timescales.

I will be happy to just get the update to version S26 by the end of this year!

+1

Houston was scheduled to get On-Screen Guide 2.0 with AnyRoom DVR fumctionality last month (August 2012), but that didn't happen and now it is TBD (To Be Determined). Hopefully it will be by the end of this year.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to TurboDan

it would cost too much to rebuild each plant that is cisco to be motorola.
Eventually though hopefully everyone will be able to use the same box whether they are cisco or motorola.

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ
reply to telcodad

Thanks guys. You all pretty much confirmed that whatever complaints I have about FIOS, it still remains ahead of Comcast for the central NJ area.

It still seems amazing to me that Comcast doesn't invest the capital necessary in an area so close to their home bases of Philly/NY, particularly since this is a saturated FIOS area. I would imagine given FIOS cost advantages, those who spend the time to figure out exactly what is offered must realize that FIOS has the edge here.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

The fact remains they won't spend the billions of dollars to change over each plant to motorola. They would have to replace all of the equipment on the poles, the headend and probably even the regional equipment.
Plus all ex-adelphia areas are cisco as are most ex-time warner areas.
It is easier for them to work on a set top that works on both systems. So they only have to order one kind of box instead of different ones for each motorola and cisco headends.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

said by mikedz4:

The fact remains they won't spend the billions of dollars to change over each plant to motorola. They would have to replace all of the equipment on the poles, the headend and probably even the regional equipment.
Plus all ex-adelphia areas are cisco as are most ex-time warner areas.
It is easier for them to work on a set top that works on both systems. So they only have to order one kind of box instead of different ones for each motorola and cisco headends.

They don't have to convert any SA plants to Moto plants at all. They're not even doing that now. All of this stuff could've been solved with software updates years ago. But they chose to only provide capable software to their Moto customers - which would have been fine (in theory), except for the fact that the SA customers are paying the same rates for FEWER SERVICES.

Why ANYONE would defend the disgraceful actions of this company that rips us all off every month is beyond me. I wish someone would expose this company and how they selectively gave some customers more services for the same price. How much of the $200 I give to these crooks every month went to the R&D, licensing and everything else so Moto customers could enjoy iPhone apps, Multi-Room DVR, everything else?

There is ZERO defense for how SA customers have been treated for years. It's 2012 and we have a SPAM-banner-ad-filled guide that Moto customers had in 2007. No apps, no MyDVR, no Multi-Room DVR, no nothing.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

don't feel bad. The apps for android are blown out of the water by the iphone apps. Unfortunately I have an android.
You are getting a better guide before us in iguide 2.0 . Motorola areas won't see that til late 2013 or early 2014 .
The original cisco guide had picture in picture and some on-screen applications. I really liked when I used to visit my friend in monroeville,pa.
It was years ahead of comcast's crappy IGUIDE which hasn't changed alot in appearance at all.
Montorola areas don't have apps either.

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ
reply to prokkos

Can anyone confirm that Anyroom DVR is available in Monmouth County NJ? Just got off an online chat who was pretty helpful but I'm skeptical about what he said. He indicated:

1. That Anyroom DVR is available in central NJ now for $20/mth.

2. That to have 4 total HD TVs hooked up in a home, with one DVR and the other three able to access content on it as well, you need to pay $20/mth for multi room DVR and for 2, not 3 as I had thought, additional boxes at $9/mth. You get 1 box included in the price of the package. Does that sound right?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

said by prokkos:

Can anyone confirm that Anyroom DVR is available in Monmouth County NJ? Just got off an online chat who was pretty helpful but I'm skeptical about what he said. He indicated:

1. That Anyroom DVR is available in central NJ now for $20/mth.

That's interesting, because, at least for SA/Cisco systems, the AnyRoom DVR service requires On-Screen Guide 2.0, which, as far as I know, hasn't been deployed in Monmouth County yet. We're still waiting for the S26 guide update right now.

Maybe there are Motorola systems in "Central NJ" where it is currently available?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to mikedz4

just noticed I said Montorola instead of motorola. Gee it took me this long to notice it?

prokkos

Holmdel, NJ

Bump. Anything new in Monmouth NJ? Saw some reports on the new Xfinity service coming to the Freedom region, but assume it has not come to central NJ.

Need to pull trigger on a new FIOS contract or not and wanted to see what Comcast has to offer. Seems like their best deal is more expensive than a comparable FIOS package for arguably an inferior product (no multi room DVR in my area). Anyone see anything different that I'm missing?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Well, there were the annual price increases.

Also, that S26 guide update is supposed to be finally released in our area next month »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

And yes, the X1 platform has also been made available now to our "Freedom Region" area: »Re: [X1] Xfinity X1 now available to New Customers in Philly!
Not sure if you can get it here in Monmouth County quite yet, though.

However, many X1 users have reported various issues and bugs with the system right now, so if you are interested in that, you may want to wait until they get most of those resolved.