Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Oregon motorist billed for ripping off gas pump hose

This one was on Car Talk;

As many know, Oregon requires an attendant to dispense gasoline to vehicles. Here's the story;

A driver pulls into her gas station for a fill-up. The attendant fills the tank and at some point goes into the station to retrieve a receipt. He brings the receipt for the gas and the driver pays (also leaving a $2 tip).

The attendant then slaps the roof of the car twice. The driver then drives off, but unknown to her, the hose is still in the filler, so the hose is ripped off the tank.

Now the customer has received a bill from the station for $900 to repair the pump.

Tom and Ray don't feel this is the driver's fault, and I agree. The guy should not have left the nozzle in the filler when finished pumping. If he left the the vehicle while the pump was still operating, that would be a safety hazard and possibly a violation of Oregon law.

I'd assume that the transaction is complete when the guy goes into the station, gets the receipt and gives it to her. Two slaps on the roof would further confirm all was finished.

What do you think?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

Yes, the attendant was in the wrong completely.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
reply to EGeezer

No it not the drivers fault and should not have to pay for the repair.
--
Caddy

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to EGeezer

Completely agree that this should come out of the pocket of the attendant. As mentioned, the law in Oregon states that an attendant MUST pump the gas. So at that point it should be their responsibility from start to finish of the fillup.

I have to say that I visited Oregon on a trip and the law, to me, is REALLY annoying. Especially when I do NOT have the option to pump my own gas and the attendant EXPECTS a tip for doing it.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

A little research - »www.oregonlaws.org/ors/480.310
shows the laws relating to the dispensing of gasoline.

Sec. 480.380 (2) designates that the state fire marshal sets rules for dispensing.

A powerpoint presentation on the Oregon state fire marshal's site under the category of "safe fueling guidelines" pontificated thusly;

You must remain outside your vehicle and in full view of the nozzle while refueling.

So, if the attendant left the vehicle, anticipating the tank would be full and the filler tripped off by the time he got to where he printed the receipt, and the nozzle was still in the filler, he very likely violated the State Fire Marshal's rules.

Of course, if the receipt printer was at the pump, he'd be OK.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA

1 edit

The gas station attendant should be held responsible for not removing the gas pump hose.

and I don't see how the fire marshal laws has anything to do with the claim against the customer.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Don't be surprised if this isn't the true story.

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO

I doubt 15 feet of rubber hose is worth and fuel nozzle really $900.00
Nozzle goes for about 60 on eBay without flow sensor and 160 with. Look to me that they want 600 for labor.
I am not so sure about that story. Do they give a receipt for every sale?
Walta

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer

I never pull away without looking to see if filler/hose removed.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Hiker:

I never pull away without looking to see if the gas cap has been put back on, and that it 'clicked' at least three times.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

said by Bob4:

said by Hiker:

I never pull away without looking to see if the gas cap has been put back on, and that it 'clicked' at least three times.

I never pull away without looking to see if the filler / hose is removed, the cap is back on and clicked at least 3 times, and I've danced a jig around the entire car at least once.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by ironweasel:

said by Bob4:

said by Hiker:

I never pull away without looking to see if the filler / hose is removed, the cap is back on and clicked at least 3 times, and I've danced a jig around the entire car at least once.

Not necessary here, because we don't have to get out of our cars to refuel.

brhalltx
Premium
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

said by Bob4:

Not necessary here, because we don't have to get out of our cars to refuel.

You have to refuel yours?

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS
reply to EGeezer

Saw this on reddit today.

Click for full size
People in Oregon aren't allowed to pump their own gas. This is what it looks like when they travel.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

I was watching Duel yesterday, and the attendant spilled gas all over the trunk of Dennis Weaver's car.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to SysOp

thats funny

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I was watching Duel yesterday, and the attendant spilled gas all over the trunk of Dennis Weaver's car.

Great movie - an early Spielberg production...

KeepOnRockin
Music Lover Forever
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Beaverton, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EGeezer

Re: Oregon motorist billed for ripping off gas pump hose

Strange story. Of all the times I've filled up, I've never had an attendant slap the roof of my car twice (or once for that matter).

Having always been in Oregon, I always make sure the pump nozzle was put back and the gas cap is re-attached before driving off.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

I don't know how those who live in states that require the fuel to be pumped for you do it.... I've lived in Florida all my life, and I've always pumped my own gas.

What do you do if you want to add an additive? Just hand them the bottle and hope the put the right amount in?

As for the price to repair? At least down here, all the pumps are equipped with quick disconnects at the pump, so if the filler nozzle is left in the vehicle when it drives away, it will pop off, and then a check ball in the disconnect seals the line. If it's caught and the nozzle and hose aren't damaged, you can just reconnect it. (This is what I was told by a pump technician who was working on a pump near me while I was refueling. He was replacing the quick disconnect fitting.)
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

said by neonhomer:

I don't know how those who live in states that require the fuel to be pumped for you do it.... I've lived in Florida all my life, and I've always pumped my own gas.

What do you do if you want to add an additive? Just hand them the bottle and hope the put the right amount in?

As for the price to repair? At least down here, all the pumps are equipped with quick disconnects at the pump, so if the filler nozzle is left in the vehicle when it drives away, it will pop off, and then a check ball in the disconnect seals the line. If it's caught and the nozzle and hose aren't damaged, you can just reconnect it. (This is what I was told by a pump technician who was working on a pump near me while I was refueling. He was replacing the quick disconnect fitting.)

We sit in our cars and let them do the work.

Unfortunately as someone who moved to one of those states from Connecticut I hate it when the station is busy and I have to wait to get a fill up. I am sitting there at the pump and the law is basically telling me I cannot get out and use the pump myself.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

Become a regular customer at your local gas station. Be polite to the workers. They'll likely let you pump your own gas when it's busy.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to KeepOnRockin

When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates. (actually I worked at three different stations, but I worked at the Rt. 40 Sinclair the most.)

Back then, there were no self serve pumps. The bell would ring when the cars drove in over the ringer hose. We'd go out from the garage, gas up the car, clean the windshield and if the driver wanted, we'd check the air in the tires and check the oil and radiator for them, replenish their swamp coolers and fill up their desert bags with fresh drinking water. (Yes, we did see a few of those in Ohio).

When we weren't pumping gas we were doing oil changes, tires and minor repairs. on customer cars. We also had equipment for recapping tires.

No one ever drove off with the nozzle still in the filler, nor did anyone ever drive off without paying even though we pumped the gas before collecting the money.

It used to tick me off when some kid would ride his bike over the hose or ump up and down on it to make the bell ring. But then, I did it when I was little, so I guess it was a little payback ...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

said by EGeezer:

When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates.

Wow...
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
Midwest
Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by Cho Baka:

said by EGeezer:

When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates.

Wow...

Yeah, I'm old. Interstates didn't reach our area until 1961. I used to ride my trusty Zundapp Bella on the construction roads when they were building our stretch of I-70.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

I make sure to refuel before needing fuel in the two states I know of that forbid the public to pump their own.
No one touches my car.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

said by Cho Baka:

said by EGeezer:

Wow...

Yeah, I'm old. Interstates didn't reach our area until 1961. I used to ride my trusty Zundapp Bella on the construction roads when they were building our stretch of I-70.

im only 34 but when i was a kid there was 15 full service stations in my town and 5 self serves, now there is 1 full serve and 7 self stations. and yes i used to abuse the bell with my bike! i pumped gas at a station when i was 19 and yep the kids payed me back.

you mention riding on an interstate, when they were building autoroute 30 in my neck of the woods it sat paved but un connected for 6 months, (both ends interchanges had yet to be built) it was a great bike path!

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
reply to EGeezer

Sounds fishy. Here in the land of New Jersey, the pumps won't print a receipt either inside or at the pump itself until the nozzle gets put back. So I don't know how the attendant went to get a receipt without returning the nozzle to the pump.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by NS4683:

Sounds fishy. Here in the land of New Jersey, the pumps won't print a receipt either inside or at the pump itself until the nozzle gets put back. So I don't know how the attendant went to get a receipt without returning the nozzle to the pump.

I think it depends on the style of the pump. Older pumps had the manual on/off lever switch. Newer ones did away with the on/off switch and detect when the nozzle is removed and reinserted. I believe the manual style just needed to be switched off, and the nozzle didn't have to be reinserted in order to complete the transaction.

SysOp

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Oregon law created for your own protection

We can not be trusted to pump our own gas. You could die. Really, it could happen. Especially if you are really really really good looking.

»youtu.be/sTIICZrteyE

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EGeezer

Re: Oregon motorist billed for ripping off gas pump hose

I bought a car back in 2005 and my wife drives it mostly.

The gas cap is on the rear right so I was not used to it.

I started pumping and went into the store.

When I came back out I forgot about it since it's on the far side of the car.

I popped the safety connector on the hose as I drove off.

I went into the store and confessed my sins.

The kid called up his boss and the boss told him to send me on my way.

Even if I had to file a claim to pay it would have only been $450.00.

That was my lucky day.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.