uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Oregon motorist billed for ripping off gas pump hose

Become a regular customer at your local gas station. Be polite to the workers. They'll likely let you pump your own gas when it's busy.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to KeepOnRockin
When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates. (actually I worked at three different stations, but I worked at the Rt. 40 Sinclair the most.)

Back then, there were no self serve pumps. The bell would ring when the cars drove in over the ringer hose. We'd go out from the garage, gas up the car, clean the windshield and if the driver wanted, we'd check the air in the tires and check the oil and radiator for them, replenish their swamp coolers and fill up their desert bags with fresh drinking water. (Yes, we did see a few of those in Ohio).

When we weren't pumping gas we were doing oil changes, tires and minor repairs. on customer cars. We also had equipment for recapping tires.

No one ever drove off with the nozzle still in the filler, nor did anyone ever drive off without paying even though we pumped the gas before collecting the money.

It used to tick me off when some kid would ride his bike over the hose or ump up and down on it to make the bell ring. But then, I did it when I was little, so I guess it was a little payback ...

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by EGeezer:

When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates.

Wow...
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by Cho Baka:

said by EGeezer:

When I was a kid in high school I worked at a Sinclair station on U.S. Route 40 back before the interstates.

Wow...

Yeah, I'm old. Interstates didn't reach our area until 1961. I used to ride my trusty Zundapp Bella on the construction roads when they were building our stretch of I-70.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
I make sure to refuel before needing fuel in the two states I know of that forbid the public to pump their own.
No one touches my car.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer
said by EGeezer:

said by Cho Baka:

said by EGeezer:

Wow...

Yeah, I'm old. Interstates didn't reach our area until 1961. I used to ride my trusty Zundapp Bella on the construction roads when they were building our stretch of I-70.

im only 34 but when i was a kid there was 15 full service stations in my town and 5 self serves, now there is 1 full serve and 7 self stations. and yes i used to abuse the bell with my bike! i pumped gas at a station when i was 19 and yep the kids payed me back.

you mention riding on an interstate, when they were building autoroute 30 in my neck of the woods it sat paved but un connected for 6 months, (both ends interchanges had yet to be built) it was a great bike path!

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer
Sounds fishy. Here in the land of New Jersey, the pumps won't print a receipt either inside or at the pump itself until the nozzle gets put back. So I don't know how the attendant went to get a receipt without returning the nozzle to the pump.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by NS4683:

Sounds fishy. Here in the land of New Jersey, the pumps won't print a receipt either inside or at the pump itself until the nozzle gets put back. So I don't know how the attendant went to get a receipt without returning the nozzle to the pump.

I think it depends on the style of the pump. Older pumps had the manual on/off lever switch. Newer ones did away with the on/off switch and detect when the nozzle is removed and reinserted. I believe the manual style just needed to be switched off, and the nozzle didn't have to be reinserted in order to complete the transaction.

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

Oregon law created for your own protection

We can not be trusted to pump our own gas. You could die. Really, it could happen. Especially if you are really really really good looking.

»youtu.be/sTIICZrteyE

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to EGeezer

I bought a car back in 2005 and my wife drives it mostly.

The gas cap is on the rear right so I was not used to it.

I started pumping and went into the store.

When I came back out I forgot about it since it's on the far side of the car.

I popped the safety connector on the hose as I drove off.

I went into the store and confessed my sins.

The kid called up his boss and the boss told him to send me on my way.

Even if I had to file a claim to pay it would have only been $450.00.

That was my lucky day.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to SysOp

Re: Saw this on reddit today.

said by SysOp:

People in Oregon aren't allowed to pump their own gas. This is what it looks like when they travel.

I would like to know who the hell gave you permission to post a picture of my wife on-line?

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to EGeezer

I have a hard time thinking it would cost that much to repair.

I've never had an attendant slap or knock on the vehicle letting me know they were done either.

Then again, I haven't driven through Oregon in quite some time in my POV, I'm always in my work truck and that means I get to pump my own gas like a normal person would.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to EGeezer

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to EGeezer
I worked as a gas attendant for years, there's no damage or bill to pay when someone drives off and rips the hose off, there's a separator that just snaps off like a tei-changing air gun, you simple insert the nozzle back into the bracket and all it takes is 10 seconds. ALL pumps are designed this way and there is never damage to the pump or to the hose itself.

Where are they getting the $900 damage from?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by Hiker:

I never pull away without looking to see if filler/hose removed.

I never pull away without looking to see if the gas cap has been put back on, and that it 'clicked' at least three times.

How do people pump gas but forget to put back on the gas cap or close the cover? I never understood that.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by Subaru:

How do people pump gas but forget to put back on the gas cap or close the cover? I never understood that.

You can get distracted in between the process of putting the pump back on its rack and screwing the cap back on.

1 - Waiting for your receipt (Cause you need the code for the car wash)
2 - Getting the hose untangled from under your feet
3 - Wanting to pump some more gas into a portable tank for your lawn mower (not stopping to first close the cap on the car). This happened to me once
4 - The wife nagging about something while doing any of the above to contribute to forgetting about the cap.
Expand your moderator at work

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

As many know, Oregon requires an attendant to dispense gasoline to vehicles. Here's the story;

Huh? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. Does the dictatorship there require that?

These people need to get out of their car, fill their own car and get rid of these government mandated jobs. Let the market determine if there needs to be Full Service stations.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
quote:
Anyone in New Jersey longing for self-serve gas stations, don’t get too pumped up about it.

“It’s never going to happen,” Gov. Chris Christie said on a monthly call-in radio show. “There is just no appetite, republicans or democrats in the legislature, to make us a completely self–serve state.”

A caller on NJ 101.5's Ask the Governor show encouraged Christie to pursue self-serve gas stations. Christie said he used to talk about this issue a lot, but fuel hasn’t been added to that fire.

“People in New Jersey love the idea that they’ve got somebody to pump their gas,” Christie said. “I don’t see that changing.”
»www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20···_nj.html