spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mellobob1

join:2012-08-18

[BC] Wynndel / Creston BC

The activity by the Shaw contractors in our area seems to have stopped.

And, I'm still waiting, praying, doing magic incantations to get cable out to Wynndel. Anyone have anything to share? The CS guys just tell me that when I get a flyer in the mail I should call them back

I'd do just about anything to get real broadband out here!

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
I'll see if I can find out anything for you tomorrow.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

mellobob1

Super. Any info would be appreciated!

crestonshaw

@shawpipe.ca
Mellobob, i know like it seems like forever but it will get hooked up. I am on goat river road north and was just hooked up last month. There is a single tech that does the new installations (maintenance crews do the drops to the houses) and he is a very busy guy. After my stretch of road i know he had a 20 page list of people to hookup up in east arrow creek. Apparently the big stumbling block is almost no rural homes are setup for cable so the installations are taking 2 - 3 times as long as normal hookups.

The speeds are decent( I am on extreme), but they havent done the pure digital cutover in Creston yet so extreme is the limit for now. Apparently the new head end in Creston is close to completion which should see us go all digital within the year.

At least the rural broadband funding is starting to pay off, i have only been staring at the coiled up shaw cable on my power pole for the last 10 months!

Thank you Shaw!

I hope this answers some questions for you. I can PM you the installers contact info if you like, just let me know.

mellobob1

reply to mellobob1
Thanks for the update! "Seems like forever" is the understatement of the year! I've been waiting for about 10 years now

If you can PM any info I'd really appreciate it! Best I've been able to get from Shaw CS is that they are doing Arrow Creek and then they will do homes on the hwy 3a. Nothing about Wynndel. I do know that there is a coil of coax at the bottom of my road ...

BTW, did you get a flyer in the mail offering service? Nothing here ... so it might be a (long) while yet.

And, due to the stupid deal the govt. and Telus made in regard to the dinky wireless ISPs they have set up, Telus have signed a new 3 year no-comp agreement. Sorry, I'm ranting ... this is the dumbest approach to broadband I've seen.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to mellobob1
Sent you a PM.

Cheers.

crestonshaw

@telus.net
reply to mellobob1
Cant seem to get my login to work, i will PM you the number when i get back to Creston next week ( my login is cached on my main machine). I didnt recieve any notice, the installer basically showed up at my door, said they were lighting up the node and went over the promotions. I did have a bit of a heads up it was coming, a few weeks prior to the actual hookup they started terminating the coils of cables on the poles with splitters and had installed some amplifiers.

And i hear you with the whole Telus and local WISP thing, its a joke.

mellobob1

Yes, please do. I'd appreciate any heads up stuff you can give me.

I can tell you that some time ago a CS agent I contacted (he was in Calgary) contacted "the lady in charge of this stuff" (I'm guessing she is in Cranbrook) and he told me that later this year Shaw would be doing connections along hwy 3a ... but had no plans for doing Wynndel. And, I've had a similar confirmation recently from this forum. Alas, I don't live on the highway!

I find this all to be very disappointing! And I really have to wonder what we good folk in Wynndel have done to tick off both Telus and Shaw. I know that Shaw got a very small amount of federal money ($10,000.00) to do hookups in Arrow Creek. And, I could probably go door to door here and raise that if it'd guaranty that we would get real broadband here.

Is there a wish list I can add a request to which would impact Shaw?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
If your community can get the money together you should talk to Shaw as a group. Where there is a will there may be a way. It's worth investigating IMO.

yep

@clearnet.com
all the funding that went into the wireless providers in Wynndel is probably gonna kill it for us. Fortunately for me i'm on hwy3a, though I have phoned shaw loads of times and keep getting told to phone back in a few months.

fingers crossed for shaw, air card is killing my wallet

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to mellobob1
Creston has Shaw Fiber now, shouldn't take too much work to run a few strands to Wynndel, if the need was there.

As a community, with number of residents, and the actual number that would commit to signing up with Shaw if wired,

Calling indvidually, wouldn't build the numbers and statistics a company needs to consider wiring a new location.

Shaw won't build in a location, unless they knew the ROI would be there to be profitable, how many people that is for Wynndel, I have no idea.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

mellobob1

reply to mellobob1
Well, the runs from Creston to Wynndel are already in place. I understand the the following has been done:

- A new fibre backbone runs down hwy 3 to Creson (10 miles from us). And, also, apparently this has not yet been "light". I don't know.

- Cable (coax) has been run from Creston back to Wynndel (and beyond?). There are a whole bunch of loops of cable just hanging from poles along the way. I can only assume that shaw wants to connect paying customers to the loops

No idea why shaw couldn't get a decent roi from us. They work in smaller communities, etc.

I don't think the money invested in the wireless plant has any effect either. All it really does, from shaw's viewpoint, is to give them an exclusive since Telus has agreed to not enter this market for at least 3 more years.

Of course, if Telus were here, I'm sure that shaw would have knocked on my door ages ago

crestonshaw

@telus.net
Creston has been on a new fiber backhaul from Cranbrook now for almost a year. The microwave setup on mount baker is now only used for TV (although this will change when we go all digital).

If you look around Creston there has been a ton of fiber/coax run on poles outside of the town to various communities. So if you see it on the pole, the sub contractors are finished then its just a wait for Shaw. I have now learned 10 months of our delay on my road was caused by waiting for the Utility company(Fortis) to complete power pole maintenance. I see they replaced a good 20 poles along the road. Once they finished the overheard cabling was moved to the new poles and i would say within a month a shaw boom truck was out installing splitters/amps along the road.

So i think it will just be a matter of where you are on the list of community upgrades. I noticed a large amount of new cable out in Canyon/Lister area as well, so lets hope wynndel is farther up the list!

mellobob1

reply to mellobob1
Just to add more insults to our fine, little community .... I've just learned that Telus is setting up ADSL along hwy 3a between Twin Bays and Crawford Bay ... and bypassing Wynndel Of course, the bypass is due to the wonderful agreement they have with our even more wonderful government (a non-comp with the wireless ISPs, which I think is illegal ... but I've been told I'm wrong).

I really don't understand the logic of hooking up a sparsely populated area when communities with much higher densities and fibre connections to the CO are next door.

Ahh, life in the slow lane where we can watch the deer in our yards as the world wide web passes us by.

westy

join:2006-08-10
Creston, BC
I had Wynndel internet for a wile and it was terra bad. I'm running an air card right now, getting faster speeds, and cheaper... Stoked for shaw, hope they don't skip us to.

Does the installer in Creston have a contact number, I have phoned shaw lots but never got a straight answer. I would just like to know if wiring my house with cable would make my install faster/easer when the time comes?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
As long as it is good cable, it would definately require less time when the install happens.

If you wire your house with poor cable, it would have to be re-done at that time.

Also the cost of you paying for the cable and time, vs Shaw paying for the cable and the installer's time.

If you are thinking about this, be sure to use RG-6 or better cable, run all your cables to a central location (electrical room for example), and let Shaw supply the splitters.
--

westy

Creston, BC

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yes, but I would get the ends replaced with Compression Connectors instead.

Couple 500' RG-6 Quad Shield spools from Home Depot, a coaxial stripper, compression tool, container of compression ends, and a small pair of side cutters.
--

TiberiusX
Premium
join:2011-01-05
Edmonton, AB
reply to westy
Westy, that stuff could probably work, but obviously limits you to runs of less than 100'. This keeps any splitters in a central and easy to access location. While you could use a coupler to add another one and thus extend the distance to 200', I would recommend against that. It would add another point in which interference can leak in and creates a bulkier cable which can be difficult to work with if running through walls.

Personally I would pickup a spool, crimper, and some ends and run it myself. That way I would have each of the runs be the ideal distance with some slack at the central location for mounting options. Put a matching face-plate on the wall at each location in the house for that professionally installed look. Two other items I would recommend; Labels and multiple runs. Labels make it that much easier when install time comes around, or when you would like to move or add equipment. Multiple runs give you the flexibility to run multiple feeds to/from each location, say feeding a spare TV in another room from the main cable/sat box.

Tiberius

westy

Creston, BC
any word on if set-ups are taking place in wynndel yet?