exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 edit

[LA] DOCSIS 3.0 modem for New Orleans

My SB5100, many years old, is starting to bite the dust. I've decided to move on up to a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

I saw the compatibility list on Cox's website that was posted in this thread that I started: »DOCSIS 3 cable modem recomendation?

I'm a fan of both Motorola and Cisco (business products, Linksys is ok).

Any recommendations on a new modem?
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

Cox is transitioning to only selling Gateway Modems (Modem/Router/Wireless) so if you do not want a Gateway, you'd better hurry into a Cox Store.

I would get the Cisco DPC3010, 8x4, Standalone Modem from the Cox store.
The Moto SB6180, 8x4, would be my second choice, again from the Cox Store, if they have any left.

Cox is listing both these for $79.99, probably your best price.
--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, DIR-628, Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime
TiVo Elite & Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, SA8240HDC DVR, Passport Vers: 3.1.124, OS Vers: PowerTV 6.20.75.106sp
DIY-Ext. eSATA DVR Expander No Enclosure Bare HDD - WD Caviar Black WD1002FA

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

Yeah, I'm not for the "all-in-one" especially since I have a hardware firewall and a commercial wireless AP.

I'll try to scoop up the Cisco.

Thanks

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
reply to exocet_cm

FYI for anybody that reads this thread, the Cisco DPC3010 comes in many flavors. For North America I believe the correct part number is 4036668. 4030816 shows up for sale in many search results and is for Japan.

A list of part numbers and features can be found here: »www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···7296.pdf
--

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

I believe you must purchase the Cisco DPC3010 directly from Cox, otherwise there is good chance they will not provision the modem.

I hope you did not buy one off ebay.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
reply to exocet_cm

If you like to see the details of the modem's status, you will not be happy with the Cisco DCP3010, since the Cox firmware disables access to everything except the signal levels. With the Motorola SB6180, you can see everything else (logs, etc.).

Other than that, the DCP3010 is a good modem. So far as I know, both the DCP3010 and the SB6180 use the same Broadcom chipset.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

1 edit
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

I believe you must purchase the Cisco DPC3010 directly from Cox, otherwise there is good chance they will not provision the modem.

No, things like this I get brand new. I hope they would provision it:
"Additional DOCSIS 3.0 Compatible Devices
Cox does not sell or rent these devices, but they may be purchased from a third party retailer."
»ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···00000000
--

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to BryanInPHX

said by BryanInPHX:

I think they stopped that. it's not listed on the site as needing to be bought from cox.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by ajwees41:

said by BryanInPHX:

I think they stopped that. it's not listed on the site as needing to be bought from cox.

You are correct, I was able to get my DPC3010 provisioned during the period in which cox only allowed ones they sold. But it wasn't easy to do. Cox did finally give in, and start allowing customers to get ones that they purchased online provisioned.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

said by BryanInPHX:

I think his point was beware of buying modems off Ebay. You are in a crap shoot as to if it is a legit modem or not.

SlashG42

join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Cox HSI
reply to exocet_cm

My eBay Motorola SB6180 has been working fine with Cox Premier in zip 70002. I did take care to purchase from a US buyer with 500+ all positive feedback. Think it was around $65.

We get 4x1 bonding here. Typically get 32.5/5.2 Powerboost. When Powerboost tapers off, it goes to 28/4.