Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

[iPad] iPad dented....?

Hello All,

I have the iPad (3rd Gen) in a leather case since day 1.

It went from the box to the case.

Today I took it out to take the sim card out and I come to find that all 4 corers are dented for some wierd reason.

Is the metal on the back of the iPad that pliable where it can just bend like that?

Also would this be something covered under its warranty for a replacement?

The case was included in the purchase from a 3rd party vender of which I have a 2 Year Warranty.

TIA
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Probably took more abuse than you realized - happened to my iPad 1 too, picking it up and setting it down on desks and counters around the hospital. God a pretty good dent when I dropped it on a counter when I went to a code blue once.

Apple probably wouldn't cover it except under AppleCare+ (if that's even offered on iPads now) but the case manufacturer might. You should read through their warranty limitations and see.
--
Check out my site: »web.mac.com/jwsmiths

Play Mafia!: »Pub Games

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

See but that's the thing though I didn't drop it never did.

I will have to call a few places and see who will cover it, I may take it into apple and just try, ya never know with those reps sometimes they are super awesome!

Thanks though
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to MEDIAN2k3

can you post a pic of this?

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to MEDIAN2k3

The metal on those things are very thin. My nano had all these dents until the screen shattered one day....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

I will post pics in the morning, going to bed very soon.

Yeah it looks like its almost popping off the device in one spot.
--

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to MEDIAN2k3

I've had two iPad 1s since the day they came out. I abuse mine more than anyone else. It rides in my car and my duffel bag when I travel. I never wanted a case but it is in one and that's somewhat scuffed up. Both iPads have no scratches, no dents, no nicks, no nothin'.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Pics as promised.....
Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Re: [iPad] iPad dented....?

I owned a first gen iPad and now have the new iPad. I personally feel like the first gen was built like a tank. That’s not to say that I feel like the new iPad is poorly construct just that it doesn’t quite seem like the same heavy metal design. For what its worth I never put a scratch on either of them.

I suspect a fair amount of force is necessary to cause that kind of deformation. If it still works that’s impressive. Any idea what caused the damage?

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to MEDIAN2k3

How tight is the case? Is it fairly loose or does it fit very snug in the corners?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to MEDIAN2k3

My volume rocker was dented and I didn't even know it was dented until a month ago. This aluminum isn't the strongest in the world...

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

The case isnt snug as a bug but its form fitting.

I have no idea what caused the damage I am thinking maybe the case?

I am just in shock.

Yes it is still fully functional.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

If this happened without your knowledge my first guess would be a young child got to it and (he / she) likes to slam it down on its corners.

Either that or some sort of systematic damage in an area where the iPad is frequently placed.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

I wish that was the case but my iPad is kept out of reach of my 2 year old.

I keep it usually in a cabinet until I get home.
--

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á

Terrible Two's...!

I remember when I once came home and as I usually did during those days (early 70's) I put a record on the turntable, placed the needle on it and sat down to relax and listen. No sound at all! So I then inspected the needle and found that while I was at work my 2 year old son had taken the hugely expensive SME arm with the Shure V15 type IV cartridge and raked it across the rubber pad of the turntable, ripping the stylus right out of the cartridge and dislodging the whole cartridge assembly.

I was always careful in securing the cover down on the turntable before work, so how he was able to unsecure it and get to the arm, do the damage and then secure the cover down will always be a mystery. It attests to the ingenious ability of toddlers to do damage and then cover it up once they set their minds to it.

I would guess your two year old was watching your every move when you put your iPad away and was able to move very quickly once you were out of sight.
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

said by MEDIAN2k3:

I wish that was the case but my iPad is kept out of reach of my 2 year old.

I keep it usually in a cabinet until I get home.

That’s sort of what I was saying.

I’m not saying this is definitely how it happened but systematic damage could be caused by a storage place if one isn’t necessarily careful.

For example, if the storage area is narrow enough (less then the diagonal width of the iPad) and the storage area rigid enough the leverage of a closing door could crush the corners of the iPad like in your pictures. If the door is wide enough it increases the force exerted on the point of contact considerably even if you (or someone else) put very minimal effort into closing it.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Unless my son grew a pair bigger then mine and climbed on a chair and somehow managed to reach the upper shelf of the cabinet is the only way I can see that happening but he is home with mommy so I dunno.

I keep it in a very big cabinet, so there would be no way it could have been damaged like that.

I will go to the apple store and see what they say.
--

Expand your moderator at work

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Re: [iPad] iPad dented....?

Man, I bet if that was a plastic case it would have cracked.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

said by Count Zero:

Man, I bet if that was a plastic case it would have cracked.

Perhaps,....

We still don’t know how this happened.

Plastic could crack, shatter or flex enough to buckle and retake its original shape without conspicuous damage. It all depends on how it was done.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to howardfine

said by howardfine:

I've had two iPad 1s since the day they came out. I abuse mine more than anyone else. It rides in my car and my duffel bag when I travel. I never wanted a case but it is in one and that's somewhat scuffed up. Both iPads have no scratches, no dents, no nicks, no nothin'.

He's talking about an iPad 3.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

So what is the difference?

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to MEDIAN2k3

interesting images. I took a good look at mine and dont show anything like it. while mine is in a case that I consider sturdy since I do take it thru some motions during the day and the corners are "exposed". I'm wondering of certain lots of them have some cheap aluminum or something?
--
| map your city |

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
united state
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Yeah I don't get it either.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

So what is the difference?

said by Octavean:

I owned a first gen iPad and now have the new iPad. I personally feel like the first gen was built like a tank. That’s not to say that I feel like the new iPad is poorly construct just that it doesn’t quite seem like the same heavy metal design. For what its worth I never put a scratch on either of them.

Just a few posts above yours. It sometimes helps to read the thread once or twice for new replies...

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
Winston Salem, NC
reply to Octavean

I'm just guessing based on the force I know it took to dent my iPad 1 like that.