Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to cheesey1

Premium Member

to cheesey1

Re: Dish Network Said to Plan Nationwide Satellite Broadband

said by cheesey1:

Wow...ya' all know how to hijack a thread don't ya??? Out of 36 replies, there was a one or two actually related to the thread's topic and then.....

Having re-read the original news stories, and better absorbing the fact that Dish and Hughesnet (HN) are both part of the Echostar empire, it is interesting that Dish has been selling Viasat/Exede service, even though Viasat is a direct competitor to Echostar. So Dish must operate as a fairly autonomous company. It seems they just want to be able sell the best satellite internet service available in rural areas, and bundle it with their Dish TV service. Currently, Viasat's new 12 mbit service is only available east of the Mississippi and on the west coast, leaving a large gap in the western desert, mountain states and pacific northwest (where I live). In the gap areas, Viasat has upgraded some legacy customers to 5mbit service (using the capacity from freed up legacy satellites), but due to capacity issues, they are currently not upgrading legacy customers or taking new customers (like me). The news story seems to imply that Dish will soon have available a more robust nationwide service.

It remains to be seen how the new Echostar 17 satellite will be utilized, and what packages will be offered to what customers, and by what companies, at what price. I was previously under the impression that the Echostar 17 satellite was similar to that of Viasat, that is to say, it would be primarily for the benefit of eastern customers and the west coast. But based on the wording of the news story, it leaves room for hope that it will be targeted to the gap areas described above. Whether the new service will be marketed/branded as Dish or Hughesnet Gen4, or something else, doesn't matter I guess, as long as I can finally get 5mbit or better service in my river canyon cabin by the end of September!

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger, allowing them to cover more area with the same number of spot beams. If that is the case, then Dish will be able to offer service better than that of Exede in areas Viasat-1 does not cover. At slower speeds of 5mbps, congestion should be less of a concern. I would imagine Dish would try to top Exede and Verizon on caps. If they would give discounts on bundling TV and Internet, they could make their service quite attractive. I guess we will see.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger....I guess we will see.

»www.dailywireless.org/20 ··· aunched/
One More Too
join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

One More Too to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger, allowing them to cover more area with the same number of spot beams.

From looking at the map provided by DrStranLov and comparing it to the map for Spaceway 3, the beam footprints for the new satellite actually appear to be somewhat smaller than those for Spaceway 3.

»www.satelliteguys.us/att ··· 05204215

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by One More Too:

said by silbaco:

I have heard rumors that the spot beams on Hughesnet XVII are larger, allowing them to cover more area with the same number of spot beams.

From looking at the map provided by DrStranLov and comparing it to the map for Spaceway 3, the beam footprints for the new satellite actually appear to be somewhat smaller than those for Spaceway 3.

»www.satelliteguys.us/att ··· 05204215

He posted a link that shows both Spaceway3/Exede and Viasat/WB. He attached/displayed the latter one, not the Hughes one.
cheesey1
join:2012-08-16
Juneau, AK

cheesey1 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
According to the map, my cabin would be in area 12 (no colors). I am going to assume that means the service offered would be nothing fancy (hopefully 5mbits at least).
cheesey1

cheesey1 to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
DrStrangLov: thanks for providing the map and link. the link provides the best explanation of what is really going on, and dovetails closely with the Dish Network story.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to cheesey1

MVM

to cheesey1
said by cheesey1:

According to the map, my cabin would be in area 12 (no colors). I am going to assume that means the service offered would be nothing fancy (hopefully 5mbits at least).

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map, and not a Hughes map?
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by dbirdman:

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map,

My error....I was looking for a pic, and assumed that was a blowup map. After reading it, I don't see where they clarify this difference.

In any event, ViaSat has 9 beams on West Coast, and Hughes has 8 beams...which Hughes might cover a larger diameter for each spot.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by DrStrangLov:

said by dbirdman:

Are you clear that the map was a ViaSat map,

My error....I was looking for a pic, and assumed that was a blowup map. After reading it, I don't see where they clarify this difference.

They don't. Click on the map on that page and it becomes clear - I hovered over it and saw the link, then read more closely.