[Speed Problem] DSL slow
Only getting 300k download speeds, supposed to be 768k down/256 up.
Have an older 2 wire 1700hg modem, it handles the ppoe on board. Speed has been slow for at least 2 weeks. Called AT&T they did line test and it was higher speed for about a day then back to 1/2 speed?
actions · 2012-Aug-18 11:13 pm · (locked)
NormanSI gave her time to steal my mind awayPremium,MVMReviews:
San Jose, CA
·Pacific Bell - SBC
actions · 2012-Aug-20 1:37 am · (locked)
5) Describe the lights on the modem when the trouble occurs.
All lights are showing green except for when de-sync occurs
6) Confirm that youve checked to ensure that ALL devices plugged into the wall jacks serviced by your DSL phone number (except the DSL modem) have filters fitted.
Yes all phone lines have filters, no alarm system or anything else to effect line.
7) Confirm that youve powered off the modem and started it again and whether or not that made any changes with your problem.
8) Do you hear any type of noise on the DSL phone line or any other unusual telephone symptoms?
Unknown at this point, regular phone line is normal
9) Provide line stats as follows
Broadband Link Statistics
Current Noise Margin:
Current Output Power:
actions · 2012-Aug-20 9:11 pm · (locked)
Your downstream signal to noise margin is pretty low (6.0 db).
In general, anything at 6 or lower is going to cause you problems. When you get in the teens and above things are pretty good (like your upload margin which is 17).
You line attenuation is also pretty bad on the downstream side (50 or above is going to start to cause problems, 50 or below would be better).
Where is the modem plugged in? Can you recheck your line stats when your modem is plugged into the network interface on the outside of your house? It's possible the lines in your house are causing problems.
Also possible is that even plugged in outside your not going to get a very good DSL signal. If that's the case - there's not much you can do except to call at&t and see if they can fix the problem.
Testing your line stats outside would be the first troubleshooting step.
I never knew how much time I could waste on the Internet before it was so fast!
actions · 2012-Aug-21 7:41 pm · (locked)