share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Kilroy

Re: New Build, No POST

The behaviour described sounds like the model or revision (stepping) of CPU used is not supported by the system BIOS.

»www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_···XE/#CPUS

Says:

CPU                                         Since PCB     Since BIOS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7-3930K (3.2G,L3:12M,6C,HT,rev.C1)    ALL           0906

Verify what exact model and revision (stepping) CPU you bought.

If the motherboard has the BIOS version printed on the actual chip (sometimes a sticker), that's useful. Otherwise, it sounds like you may be running the BIOS version 0802 which does not work with this model of CPU.

So how do you solve this problem?

1. Get a different CPU that does work with 0802, temporarily put that in + upgrade BIOS to 0906 + remove CPU + install one you want

2. Purchase a replacement 0906-flashed BIOS chip from an online manufacturer and install it yourself, assuming the BIOS chip is socketable

3. Open a ticket with Asus Support and make this their problem. They can probably advise you on ways to solve this.

--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare

1 edit
said by koitsu:

The behaviour described sounds like the model or revision (stepping) of CPU used is not supported by the system BIOS.

»www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_···XE/#CPUS

Says:

CPU                                         Since PCB     Since BIOS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7-3930K (3.2G,L3:12M,6C,HT,rev.C1)    ALL           0906

Verify what exact model and revision (stepping) CPU you bought.

If the motherboard has the BIOS version printed on the actual chip (sometimes a sticker), that's useful. Otherwise, it sounds like you may be running the BIOS version 0802 which does not work with this model of CPU.

So how do you solve this problem?

1. Get a different CPU that does work with 0802, temporarily put that in + upgrade BIOS to 0906 + remove CPU + install one you want

2. Purchase a replacement 0906-flashed BIOS chip from an online manufacturer and install it yourself, assuming the BIOS chip is socketable

3. Open a ticket with Asus Support and make this their problem. They can probably advise you on ways to solve this.

Or just use the usb port and bios flash button, no cpu required.

»event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_···k_GUIDE/

And unless he got a board that has been sitting on the shelf since they launched this is not likely the problem.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
That's pretty remarkable, specifically because it does say "No CPU required".

Something has to run the code that does the actual flashing. Something has to run the code that loads a USB stack. Unless there is a completely alternate/separate microprocessor on the motherboard somewhere (maybe something like a PIC16C84), I'm not sure how Asus is doing this.

Maybe there's a little microprocessor inside of that lit "USB" button (yes really, basic/cheap CPUs can fit in there), but I don't know. I'd love to know how they accomplished this.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
After checking the manual I'm fairly sure he would be getting an q code if it was an unsupported processor. Page 2-23 of the manual q code 56 Invalid CPU type or Speed.

As for how asus does the bios flash it's something on the motherboard, you just put the new bios file on any standard fat16 or 32 formatted flash drive and plug it into a specific usb port then press a button for 3 seconds to start it. They don't bother with the details on how it works in the manual.

Still sounds like a bum board or bum power supply to me.

I actually just put together a system using this board and cpu about a week ago. Mines been running like a champ since i put it together.