spc
Search similar:

uniqs

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

A positive story

We moved my oldest son into a college apartment this weekend. The management subscribes to Cox HSI and TV in bulk and includes that in the rent. They even had a rep in the lobby helping students get connected and selling pre-provisioned Netgear wireless gateways for $150.

I'd heard bad things about the Netgears from someone who had to deal with a number of unhappy customers, and I had a couple of good wireless routers, so I headed off to Staples and picked up a Moto 6121.

Self activation wasn't an option because of the bulk account situation, so we called Cox and the rep walked us through the steps. The modem wouldn't work, though. We tried several reboots and other gyrations, but no soap. The rep apologized and sent me to tier 2 (without my prompting).

The tier 2 rep asked for my full name. Now, at this point, I'm getting a bit frustrated since my son passed it to my wife so he could unpack and she passed it to me. I don't want my name on the account and I started to get short with the rep until she explained she simply wanted to know how to address me. "Is Mr. Strings OK?" (humbly) "Yes, that's fine, thanks."

After a quick check of the steps the first support rep had taken, she did the smart thing and asked for the MAC addy again just to be sure. Turns out my wife had misread the last digit. Oops. We fixed that and all was well.

Both reps were as professional and polite as I could have asked, especially when it was our stupid mistake which turned a 5-minute call into a 20 minute escalation. Not even a hint of "idiot customer" which is more than I would have done. Each had good documentation on the router lights and how they should behave. The tier two rep even explained the function of each to me since the icons were different than the Cisco I'm using at home.

Thanks to the two patient ladies in Atlanta (guessing from the accents) who helped us. My son is happily surfing and gaming ... when he should be studying.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

When I help others with modems, I always write down the MAC address, model number, and serial number on a big sheet of paper in big numbers so I can see them with my declining aged vision. Too many previous misreadings by me of 3's as 8's, 8's as 9's, 9's as 8's, and such. At some point you have to admit you are getting older and need some "crutches" occasionally. Glad it eventually worked out for you.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

I logged into the modem and read the MAC from the status page.

DDR329
@cox.net

DDR329 to davidhoffman

Anon

to davidhoffman
And just forget it if you have a B for a Moto modem. I swear they make the print that small just to laugh at all of us.