uniqs

SpankMeHard
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Buellton, CA

SpankMeHard

Premium Member

Can I upgrade my DSL service?

I have 7 MB/s Verizon home DSL. It's been pretty good.

But, with these new smart TV's/DVD players, game consoles and kids streaming stuff all the time, I need more bandwidth.

What's the best way to find out what the fastest service available at my home is? Is there an on-line verification I can use? Is best to call Verizon? (If so, then what phone number is recommended.)

I want to be careful about calling. The last time I called with an upgrade issue, they accidentally turned off my DSL owing to mis-communication and it took 2 weeks to get it back. Then, it took another week to get my email reconnected with my original email addresses. It was a mess.

I want to know what's possible, but I don't want to rock the boat.

a333
A hot cup of integrals please
join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

a333

We need to see your modem's statistics to see if your line is capable of anything higher than what you are provisioned at right now. Also, if you are already on Verizon's enhanced plan, you are being provisioned according to whatever the last estimated loop length was (after that, most lines are periodically auto-tweaked by their "optimization" software at the CO, which can sometimes wreak havoc on even perfectly solid circuits.) Depending on your stats, you are at 7.1 megs because: a) That's the max your loop can handle, b) Your CO doesn't have the bandwidth to provision customers beyond 7.1 c) You used to be provisioned higher but got dropped down because of optimization software at the CO, or d) You are not provisioned on the "enhanced" plan (maybe you're on one of the older packages from back when Verizon classified DSL tiers differently). Either way, post up your stats and we'll see what your line can actually handle to begin with.

DJRayEarth
join:2012-08-01
Los Angeles, CA

DJRayEarth to SpankMeHard

to SpankMeHard
I cant help myself but to repond to this post since you're from California.
Be careful with that. It happened to me too and until today its been a few months my internet is not the same
If you dont have problem with your current dsl just keep it...if you want the speed upgrade try looking for other ISP.
I'm looking for other ISP right now since verizon cant help me and make my online experience very unpleasant. As you already know about calling them, I'm trying to avoid calling because whenever I call I always end up with no internet.

trp2525
Premium Member
join:2008-02-24
united state

trp2525 to SpankMeHard

Premium Member

to SpankMeHard
One online tool you can use is to go to the AceDSL website and check your loop length: »www.aceinnovative.com/in ··· dsl-main Enter your Verizon phone number in the Service Request Form and it will give you your loop length which I believe comes from the Verizon database (which may or may not be accurate).

From what I have seen posted on this site and elsewhere, the cutoff loop length for 10 Mbps DSL is 7,000 feet and the cutoff loop length for 15 Mbps DSL is 4,000 feet. If your loop length is longer than those numbers you probably will not get anything faster than your current 7.1 Mbps DSL from Verizon. Even if you fall within those numbers it doesn't mean that you will definitely get anything faster than your current 7.1 Mbps DSL due to various other factors already posted above.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to SpankMeHard

Premium Member

to SpankMeHard
7Mb/s is near the limits of DSL in a lot of areas you are lucky as it is you need to be very close to the co to get a huge speed increase. try to see if you can get fios instead of Dsl if you can't go cable.

SpankMeHard
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Buellton, CA

SpankMeHard to a333

Premium Member

to a333
Thanks for the reply. When I moved here I got 1.5 MB/s service (or something like that). Then I heard about others getting 7 MB/s service so I upgraded. I had heard that a bunch of equipment had been changed out and that they were now capable of offering the 7 MB. I do speed checks periodically and I get 6.4 to 6.7 MB/s downloads, which is right on the money for 7 MB service some 8000 ft from the CO. (I think I'm about that copper-line distance away, but I'm not sure.)

What I was really asking is if there's any way I can find out if there has been any technology or equipment upgrades at the local CO (like FIOS or carrier pigeons on steroids) where Verizon is able to offer still higher speeds than 7 MB. But, it sounds like the 7 MB is still the max that current DSL technology can offer.

And, sorry to be such a noob, but what online or free applications would I run that would give a data dump that experts in this forum could use to judge the parameters of my current service?

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

you would log into the modem possibly at 192.168.1.254 ???.

Or maybe even 192.168.1.1.

a333
A hot cup of integrals please
join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

a333 to SpankMeHard

to SpankMeHard
If you're currently on a modem that only supports G.DMT mode, or if the line card at the Central Office only goes up to G.DMT, irregardless of your modem type, 8 Mbps is the theoretical max, so the max speed Verizon will ever provision you at on that system is 7.1 Mbps (possibly not on longer loops.) If your CO equipment and modem both support ADSL2+, and your line conditions are good enough, they could theoretically upgrade your provisioned sync rate to something higher if you're on the enhanced plan. However, whether or not your line can handle it can only be told for certain based on your transceiver stats, which you can access at 192.168.1.1 typically (the exact procedure varies by the modem / firmware revision.)

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to SpankMeHard

to SpankMeHard
said by SpankMeHard:

I have 7 MB/s Verizon home DSL. It's been pretty good.

But, with these new smart TV's/DVD players, game consoles and kids streaming stuff all the time, I need more bandwidth.

What's the best way to find out what the fastest service available at my home is? Is there an on-line verification I can use? Is best to call Verizon? (If so, then what phone number is recommended.)

Verizon offers FiOS, but your C.O. and Community have to be Provisioned for it. You can go on the Verizon Web Site, and put your address in to find out if FiOS is offered. I did a quick search and put in an address on Shadow Mountain Drive, there in Buellton and came up with no FiOS. So for now from Verizon that is the fastest speed you'll get. Maybe your Cable Provider can offer more.
jklbi01
join:2006-07-28
Beach Haven, NJ

jklbi01 to chip89

to chip89
said by chip89:

7Mb/s is near the limits of DSL in a lot of areas

Really? I've had much faster than that here in NJ for several years now.

Here's my Speedtest.net results:

Any my transceiver stats:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 17628 1133
Margin (dB) 6.2 10.7
Line Attenuation (dB) 19.5 8.6
Transmit Power (dBm) 0.0 11.2

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

Your on ADSL2+.

Look at the field Line Mode

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to jklbi01

to jklbi01
said by jklbi01:

said by chip89:

7Mb/s is near the limits of DSL in a lot of areas

Really? I've had much faster than that here in NJ for several years now.

Any my transceiver stats:

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data Path FAST

You have ADSL_2plus, which goes up to a Max of 24Mbps, but the C.O. and Copper Line has to be Provisioned for this. Buellton doesn't have it, and unless the City or Community pushes for something faster, that's all they will get out of Verizon.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to jklbi01

Premium Member

to jklbi01
You are On ADSL2+ it is different from DSl so you get faster speeds.