join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to dishrich

MVM

to dishrich

Re: [DTA] What DTAs is Comcast acquiring that are brand new

said by dishrich:

said by telcodad:

I agree, besides having just an RF output, the lack of a program guide is the biggest issue I have using my 3 DTAs right now.

Then you need to upgrade to (full) digital boxes then...

I do have 4 STBs (two Cisco RNG150s and two RNG100s) for the larger TVs in my home, just have 2 of those DTAs on some smaller sets with the third feeding a DVD Recorder. I should probably spring for a DVR some day I guess!
said by dishrich:

BUT, here's some other food for thought...

Once CC actually DOES get these things, does anyone know for a fact, WHICH (service) level of HD channels, you WILL be able to pick up on them? Right now, while SD DTA's get everything SD up to the Starter level, how do we know the HD DTA's will get the HD versions of any/all Starter HD channels? Obviously in order for this to happen, CC will have to "relax" the encryption on those HD channels to the same level (privacy mode") as the SD channels are now - which programmers may or may NOT allow CC to do.

For all I know, the ONLY HD channels these HD DTA's will get, will ONLY be what's on the limited basic tier. (ie: "broadcast basics")

Good question! On my channel lineup, the HD versions of all the SD Digital Starter channels are also on that tier, so I had assumed that they use the same encryption scheme. I had figured that Comcast can disable reception of HD channels unless you pay the "HD Technology Fee," by removing them from your channel map(s).
said by dishrich:

Then my other question is...since many of us are getting 2 SD DTA's with NO monthly charges, will CC allow us to swap those to HD DTA's, w/out then starting to charge monthly for them?

Yes, it's not clear what their policy will be. I figure you'd have to pay the "HD Technology Fee" to use them in HD mode, though.

As you said, the DTAs were originally intended to "adapt" older "cable-ready" analog TVs so they could still be used after the digital migration. While these new HD-DTAs would still provide that (operating in only a SD RF-output-only mode), they are also capable of providing an enhanced level of service (HD output and maybe a simple program guide).

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Comcast told me that the HD Technology Fee was mandatory if a customer rented a DVR since they said there aren't any non HD DVR's anymore, that if a customer wants to get rid of that fee they have to give up the DVR itself.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Comcast told me that the HD Technology Fee was mandatory if a customer rented a DVR since they said there aren't any non HD DVR's anymore, that if a customer wants to get rid of that fee they have to give up the DVR itself.

This shouldn't be necessary, if it's even true. They can enable/disable the HD channels on the map sent to the box. It's most likely a CR trying to force a higher profit margin on people.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

"Even if it's true" ? What are you implying? Just saying what I was told. However I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to get rid of HD channels.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

said by Mike Wolf:

This shouldn't be necessary, if it's even true. They can enable/disable the HD channels on the map sent to the box. It's most likely a CR trying to force a higher profit margin on people.

This is not the first time they pulled crap like that.

At least they don't make you rent full box to get only analog stuff and sports overflows of channels on the DTA.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

However I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to get rid of HD channels.

If you specifically have to pay EXTRA (monthly) for them - hell YES I CAN imagine this! Sorry to tell you this, but there ARE still many subs that cannot tell (&/or don't care, for the extra $$$) the difference between SD & HD. I know that is hard for people like us to believe, but this IS the reality...

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

But, there are also some HD-only channels Comcast carries. Velocity, MGM, Palladia, Universal, and probably more I forget.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to dishrich

to dishrich
Thought they faded out with the dial up modem Only a matter of time I guess.