join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
kudos:4
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [GW2] Official DSLR Guild: Aftershock (SHOK) Info

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Savious:

said by Ghastlyone:

I'm all pre-purchased and downloading now.

Ghastlyone.1749

This game better not mimic Savious's avatar.

FTFY

FTFY x2

Touche
--
Jobbie told me to change my sig.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Krim Dal.5416

I'm all set and ret ta go.

Welcome, Facepalm...as mentioned, we all have high hopes, but so far, have no reason to be disappointed. Let's hope it lasts.

Great job on the site, guys.

(Downloading patch as we speak for today's ST..w00t)

Nightshade
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok

I'm in. I never played guild wars so any tips would be great.

Edit: Display name is NIghtshade.6084

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5

There is a beta today to try out if you are able to make it. But from what I have seen in the last two beta tests (limited time mind you) are:

• You start with 1 ability, use it to unlock the next and so on for the first 5 abilities.
• Equipping different weapons changes your abilities in the 1-5 slots (1-5 on your keyboard). If you have been useing a 2-hand sword and move to 2x 1-hand swords, you will have 1 ability and have to unlock the rest.
• Your 3 & 4 ability are tied to your off hand weapon or just part of the 2-hander. (except for Thieves, their 3 ability changes based on the 2 weapon combination they are using.)
• All races can be all professions.
• Choose your first server wisely, you can't make characters on multiple servers like WoW. This is why we have spent about a week coming up with the Jade Quarry server.
• To move servers costs hundreds of gems which you buy from other players for gold, or with real money. The higher the pop server, the more gems it will cost.
• You start with 5 character slots but there are 8 professions. Additional character slots can be purchased with gems.
• The last 3 (of 8) bag slots must be unlocked using gems.
• You can be part of multiple guilds at the same time, though you only earn influence for one at a time.
• WvWvW is awesome. just try it, nuff said.
• Your level is scaled down to the zone you are in. No more hitting level cap and destroying a noob zone to be an ass.
• Have fun.

There was another link posted in the forum below that detailed some good information about the game. Link here.
--
I am stating my opinion. Obviously you don't like it. Honestly, I don't care.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

Is there a class rundown somewhere?

Edit: Found it.

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to stvnbrs

said by stvnbrs:

• You start with 1 ability, use it to unlock the next and so on for the first 5 abilities.
• Equipping different weapons changes your abilities in the 1-5 slots (1-5 on your keyboard). If you have been useing a 2-hand sword and move to 2x 1-hand swords, you will have 1 ability and have to unlock the rest.
• Your 3 & 4 ability are tied to your off hand weapon or just part of the 2-hander. (except for Thieves, their 3 ability changes based on the 2 weapon combination they are using.)

Oh crap. I'll need a cheat sheet. lol
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

MaxPowers

join:2010-07-30
Roy, UT
kudos:1
reply to Krisnatharok

You'll get used to is. If you have a smartphone I suggest "gw2 skill tool" app, its basically a talent calculator for all professions.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to stvnbrs

said by stvnbrs:

This confused the hell out of me earlier. I equipped a new one hand weapon and all the spells changed.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Krisnatharok

I probably won't be able to get to play until next week, but when I do I want to have a home here!

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to MaxPowers

Exactly. Just need some seat time. New wrinkles no longer scare me.

clawfury

join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI
reply to Krisnatharok

I'll sign up tonight, damn websense.

malem83

join:2006-08-25
Quebec, QC
reply to Krisnatharok

I wish you the best of luck with you guild !

There is somehow a question that comes in my mind about your server selection. Why did you choose one of the most popular servers such as JQ ? Don't you guys fear high server queues ?

I ask this question because my guild did the same choice and apparently, there is going to be some good guilds in there ...
--
La vie continue ... / Life goes on ...

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

said by malem83:

There is somehow a question that comes in my mind about your server selection. Why did you choose one of the most popular servers such as JQ ? Don't you guys fear high server queues ?

I ask this question because my guild did the same choice and apparently, there is going to be some good guilds in there ...

I think a low pop server in a game like GW2 would be bad for the world dynamic events and would put you at a real disadvantage in WvW PVP. Overflow servers do suck when you're trying to team up but it's far better than a queue. You can level up while you wait to get in. How cool is that?

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to malem83

said by malem83:

Why did you choose one of the most popular servers such as JQ ?

When we initially looked at possible servers, JQ was not a high population server. We wanted to shy away from servers that communities such as 4chan/reddit/gw2guru would be on due to higher pops then. The beta test prior to our decision showed that JQ was not full. The combination of many users without being full lead to the overall choice. There is going to be more and more folks showing up to the game, and it may settle down shortly there-after. This way we don't need to worry as much about being on a dead server.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to malem83

said by malem83:

What bionicRod said. We shied away from the top pick, but still wanted a server with a strong guild presence. In the long run, a week's worth of queues is a small price to pay for the advantage in WvWvW. Patience is needed with any MMO's launch. The stress tests have been promising, however.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

malem83

Quebec, QC
reply to bionicRod

Do you actually mean than when a server is "full" we will still be able to play and do some content while waiting to join the server ?
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

There are overflow servers for people to join and quest when you are in a queue.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to malem83

said by malem83:

Do you actually mean than when a server is "full" we will still be able to play and do some content while waiting to join the server ?

That's what I mean alright. Pretty cool huh? I don't know what happens if the overflow servers get full. But you get a notice that your server is full and are placed in an overflow server. You can still play, and there are other people there, although not necessarily your friends.

malem83

Quebec, QC

Indeed it is ! Problem solved !

I look forward to seeing you guys in-game !
--

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to malem83

said by malem83:

I believe that full servers won't let you create characters, but they did implement overflow servers so you can play the game while waiting to jump into your main server population.

From PC Gamer:

"ArenaNet have come up with a novel solution to server queues. As reported by Guild Wars Insider, ArenaNets Martin Kerstein revealed on the GuildWars2Guru forums that players attempting to log in to a full server will be offered an ‘overflow shard to play on instead. When a slot opens up on your chosen world, youll be given the choice to switch over with all your progress intact.

Its a great idea. BioWare argued that SW:TORs queuing was necessary to avoid launching dozens of extra servers thatd be empty only a few months after launch – something that happened to Rift. The overflow system dodges both of these problems by treating the extra server space as a strictly temporary solution.

GW2 is quickly earning its reputation as one of the most forward-thinking MMOs in development right now. Check out our Guild Wars 2 Q&A for more info and make sure you sign up for the beta while its still available."
--

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to Krisnatharok

note: HOME SERVERS ARE ACCOUNT BOUND! You can not have characters on separate servers like in WoW. You won't be able to make a character on a full server, Arenanet has mentioned that there will be some server transfers initially, but they did not mention if you can transfer to a higher population server.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

When we started SWTOR, we picked one of the most populated servers at launch. It turned out to be a good choice afterwards.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to stvnbrs

said by stvnbrs:

note: HOME SERVERS ARE ACCOUNT BOUND! You can not have characters on separate servers like in WoW. You won't be able to make a character on a full server, Arenanet has mentioned that there will be some server transfers initially, but they did not mention if you can transfer to a higher population server.

I hope they do a wipe after the last stress test, I think my home server was Sorrow's Furnace for the BWE and stress tests.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Krisnatharok:

I hope they do a wipe after the last stress test, I think my home server was Sorrow's Furnace for the BWE and stress tests.

Mine too. I can't imagine they won't.

stvnbrs
Premium
Cary, NC
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

There was an impromptu stress test last night for an hour.

Source

We will be conducting another stress test IN 10 MIN from 09:10 PM PDT to 10:10 PM PDT. (22 August)

All characters from previous stress tests have been wiped.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, youre helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game.

Please note:
- The stress test is open to anyone who has pre-purchased Guild Wars 2.
- You will not be able to buy gems during this stress test.

Thanks for your cooperation—well see you in-game!
--

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to bionicRod

Any chance we can chat from these overflow servers back to your primary server?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

So hold on, let me understand this. The character name I chose on Tuesday's stress test will be wiped out?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yes. According to the link stvnbrs posted, it's already gone. Be up at midnight on Friday to snag your character name (assuming someone from GW1 didn't bring in that name already).
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Gotcha. Not a huge deal if I need to go with another name.

I'm just wondering why we posted all our names on the guild forum, when they might be changing anyway.

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by Ghastlyone:

Gotcha. Not a huge deal if I need to go with another name.

I'm just wondering why we posted all our names on the guild forum, when they might be changing anyway.

That's your account name. That won't change. Your character name will. My GW account name is bionicRod.3268, but I can have characters named Inky, Pinky, Blinky and Clyde if I wanted to. The latter were erased yesterday.

And I'm not sure about cross server chat facepalm See Profile. Edited for clarity