spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

komal

join:2003-02-16

Paying for 25 Mb and getting 12 Mb

I haven't complained because its been on and off but for the past couple of weeks its been very consistent that I can't get what I'm paying for in terms of speed.

I pay for 25 megabits based on a plan that is longer available.

I had the 7.5 megabit plan for years and never had much reason to complain, generally got what I paid for but when I upgraded it was a different story.

I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

What is the best approach? Just call them nonstop? Document with their speed test?

Thanks for any help

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
Post some test here, that would be your first try. There's Shaw higher up employees that monitor this forum that can help. They need to see proof, though. Especially if we plan on trying to help.

lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to komal
I honestly think there's some kind of flaw with the 25Mbps plan, as I had it for a while as well and would regularly pull 12 or 13Mbps only. those on 7.5Mbps usually pull close to 10 (both plans are on Docsis 2.0) so I'm not sure what gives.

I would do one of two things:

1. Switch to High Speed 20, the slight change to the profile might bring you back to advertised speeds
2. Switch to a a Docsis 3 plan (BB50 or higher). The Docsis 3 chassis' are much faster and much less crowded, thus you'll have a better shot at getting advertized speeds.

I normally wouldn't recommend changing your plan just to get advertised speeds, but like I said the 25Mbps plan has always been flowed, which I'm pretty sure is why it's not offered anymore.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to komal
The 25Mb plan is definitely flawed...

lostspaceman

T3N0K7
reply to komal
Well, most people I've talked to that have it don't pull those speeds. You're one of the lucky ones I guess!

lostspaceman

T3N0K7
reply to komal
Also, the only time I could pull 25Mbps was late/middle of the night, during the day I'd never hit 23/24. There's also the possibility that the node you're on is simply less congested that most. Not sure.

ShawVan

@shawcable.net

Docsis 2 modem, some Motorola surfboard, can't remember which version.

During evenings it drops down, I haven't bothered documenting how low since it still works decent enough but using 3 newsgroup connections to Astraweb usually maxes my connection out to 2700kB/s reported under alt.binz (rest probably lost to overhead), during evenings it gets low to around 600-800kB/s but I up the connections to 20 and it goes back up to 2700kB/s.

lostspaceman

T3N0K7
reply to komal
Huh, maybe I was just on a super congested node. I was out of the Rundle hubsite which i know is very busy, maybe that's why...

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to komal
I'm not on a Residential Plan, I'm on Biz side. Still though, if you seeing speeds below 16-17Mb I would be looking into it. During peak I can pull exact same speeds, regardless. Not sure if Biz has a little QoS or not. I know if you get a fiber circuit from Shaw, you are obviously not gonna have to worry about congestion or speed. Haven't heard an official ruling on just Biz cable connections get a higher QoS over Residential, though.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
The only higher QOS, is no shaping when the node gets busy, business modems are exempt, other than that, all the traffic is the same. It is in the TOS, kind of...

But from experience being on busy nodes.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to lostspaceman
said by lostspaceman:

1. Switch to High Speed 20, the slight change to the profile might bring you back to advertised speeds
2. Switch to a a Docsis 3 plan (BB50 or higher). The Docsis 3 chassis' are much faster and much less crowded, thus you'll have a better shot at getting advertized speeds.

Regarding #1. Not likely.
Regarding #2. Same device, same line cards. DOCSIS 3.0 modems can bond multiple channels which can cause a sort of 'load levelling' effect as you can queue frames on more channels. Load balancing technologies mean that this isn't really a big deal anyways.

komal

join:2003-02-16
reply to komal
I'll post some speed tests here, I'm confident of my issue being a real problem because even on Shaw speedtests I get poor speeds, I'll post some screenshots after I get home today.

So should I bother contacting Shaw?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
#1. It's never a bad idea to call tech support. They can't support you if they don't know your problem. They can't correlate larger problems if everyone doesn't report them.

#2. Shaw employees do wander through here so posting here is also a good idea if you are nerdier than the average bear. Include your speeds, general geographical location, time of day trends, etc.

The only other thing to consider is that DOCSIS is a shared-access architecture (and even with fiber to the home Telco's and MSOs are moving to or keeping that architecture) so during the busiest hours you may have some contention for bandwidth. In general though your speeds should be close to your plan.