Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

[iPad] iPad3 weak wifi...

So I've noticed my iPad 3 has considerably weaker WiFi than my almost 2 year old iPhone 4...

Should that be right? in my back yard, I can't even get a signal from either of my routers (i've got one in the top floor and basement), while the iPhone picks up 2 bars from BOTH.

Another thing I find is that even in the house, in areas that various laptops and devices have no issues, the iPad 3 will show the network name, with 1 or 2 bars, but it will say that it cannot join the network when you type in the passkey. You have to walk up closer, then it will join, and work in the area where I was previously not able to join with two bars of signal...

This is a bit puzzling... I've got a feeling its because of the all metal back, the WiFi just stinks in it, and they should have just had a cutout for antennas like the 3G/LTE models do for their antennas.

Has anyone else experienced this with an iPad3, or the older models (This is my first one).
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
said by HiVolt:

This is a bit puzzling... I've got a feeling its because of the all metal back, the WiFi just stinks in it, and they should have just had a cutout for antennas like the 3G/LTE models do for their antennas.

If that was the case, you woulda had another Antennagate.
--
You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
I doubt it, because its not for making phone calls...

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
Try updating the router's firmware. Fixes most iPad Wifi connectivity issues

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to HiVolt
I don't have any experience with the iPad3, but my iPad2 has no problems picking up the signal from my Airport Extreme Base Station (5 GHz band) at the other end of the house, even with the AEBS transmit power reduced to the 10% setting. By the way, the signal has to go through some walls, since there isn't a line-of-sight pathway.

Based on this, I have no complaints about the WiFi performance.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to HiVolt
If your stuff is JB, then install WiFiFoFum and you will have actual signal strength numbers. Bars mean nothing! Both my original iPad and my New iPad have good wifi. I remember when the iPad came out some of the sites said that the 3G had better wifi due to the larger cutouts for the 3G antenna.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I can display wifi strenght in the bar with a SBSetting tweak. Good idea, I will compare those with my iPhone.

And as for the routers, they are both up to date, and different brands/firmwares, and every other device works fine including the iPhone4.