share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

Got my new Swedish Rider!

After extensive research and lots of thought, I finally bought a Husqvarna AWD Swedish Rider (model R 322T AWD). I've used it to mow the grass a few times, and so far, it's really awesome. The AWD climbs hills without any hiccups- traction is always maintained as the rear axle pivots to hold the ground surface. And there are lots of attachments I can buy for it- snowblower, plow, flail mower, even a broom to make it a mini-street sweeper! And check out that deck servicing position. It takes all of 30 seconds to pop it up for cleaning, servicing, etc. I hose the deck down after each use to keep it from rotting out- cleaning is just too easy to not do it.

It's a pretty sweet ride. All in all, I'm very happy I bought this machine and would recommend it to others! Swedish Riders are very popular in other parts of the world (Europe especially), but have not seen the same popularity here in the US. It's a shame really, as this is a great, solidly built machine with a lot to like.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

from
$ 5,199.95
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price*

»www.husqvarna.com/us/products/ri···22t-awd/

Spec engine: B&S V-2, 22 HP

You must have a lot of wide open grass in your lawn.

Too expensive for me. I'll stick with my 48" JD with the B&S 22 HP V-2 engine. Less than $2K. If it falls apart I'll buy another and still be ahead.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Jack_in_VA:

from
$ 5,199.95

Too expensive for me. I'll stick with my 48" JD with the B&S 22 HP V-2 engine. Less than $2K. If it falls apart I'll buy another and still be ahead.

If I had flat land, I'd be in that boat too, but I have some really rugged hills that have divots and other weird features. A JD with a K46 transaxle (in the price range you're talking about) would get eaten alive on my hills. And the articulating action of my Rider makes it close to a zero-turn unit. It steers like a forklift basically. I can get into some pretty close quarters with the deck out front of me rather than under me.

It was pretty expensive, no question, but I got it under MSRP (end of mowing season is fast approaching), and so far, it's been a great purchase.

EDIT: As a sidenote, I pitted the JD x500 against the R322T AWD, but the JD dealers would barely move on their price (starts at $5800 for limited slip 2wd). JD makes a solid product, no question, but I'm glad I went the route I did.. I got a lot more for my money with Husqvarna than I would have with JD or Cub.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

Sweet ride. Now the lawn needs a tune up.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Lurch77:

Sweet ride. Now the lawn needs a tune up.

Thanks! The lawn is still a work in progress, but rather than spending 2+ days mowing it per week with a push mower, I can spend 2 hours and have time to get other projects done, including improving the lawn.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to SwedishRider

Awesome! Nice looking ride and I'm sure it will give you years of good service. Be sure to keep a trickle charger on that battery to keep it from going flat.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to SwedishRider

Very Nice!! Really like the mower deck access! Never seen one quite like it. Please post an update after you get some time on it. Sweetie Pie just might get one next spring.
--
Zach

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none
reply to SwedishRider

nice! i thought i replied to this on MTF already, but i guess i never did. for your needs it appears to be a very good choice.

Jack, my Deere X500 was about 5300.00 in 2008 when i got it and my L130 was about 2800.00 in 2004 when i got it. Had i gone with the GT series in 2004, i could have save nearly 3k in the last 8 years, not counting repair parts costs on the L130.
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
reply to SwedishRider

How big is that deck? 42" 44"???
Looks like it's strictly a mulcher!

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

It mulches (they call it BioClip) or has rear discharge.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Pacrat

Deck is the Combi 103 (it's 103cm, which is about 41"). The US Swedish Riders currently have 3 decks available: standard side discharge 48", Combi 103, and Combi 112.

The Combi is made primarily for mulching, but has the mulch plug built into the deck (separate mulching kit is available at additional cost for the 48" side discharge deck). The Combi mulch plug (BioClip) can be removed from the deck and then the Combi decks become rear discharging. Rear discharge is good to keep grass discharge off sidewalks and driveways, or one can buy a collector attachment, which is the Rider's version of a bagging system.

»www.husqvarna.com/uk/accessories···llector/

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Jack_in_VA

said by Jack_in_VA :

from
$ 5,199.95

If I was going to pay that much I would consider a Dixie Chopper.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Beezel:

They are a nice machine too, but again, a ZTR is no good for steep slopes. The 4x4 Dixie Chopper is built for hillsides as is my AWD Swedish Rider. I couldn't find a price on the 4wd Dixie Chopper on their website... my guess is that they're far north of my Rider... somewhere in the stratosphere alongside the 4wd JD x7xx series.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by SwedishRider:

said by Beezel:

They are a nice machine too, but again, a ZTR is no good for steep slopes. The 4x4 Dixie Chopper is built for hillsides as is my AWD Swedish Rider. I couldn't find a price on the 4wd Dixie Chopper on their website... my guess is that they're far north of my Rider... somewhere in the stratosphere alongside the 4wd JD x7xx series.

Used 2011 is $15k!
»www.fastline.com/v100/2011-Dixie···ba9.aspx

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

1 edit
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

They are a nice machine too, but again, a ZTR is no good for steep slopes.

I'm not sure how steep of a slope you are referring to but I have a ZTR (Exmark LazerZ 60") and I cut some incredibly steep slopes with it. My steepest hill is probably close to 35 degrees, the other big one is probably 25 degrees. You can only drive up the steep slopes, not sideways nor downhill. ZTR's are awesome mowers at cutting a lot of grass fast, but the downside is that's about all they do. I can see the advantage of your mower with all the attachments you can use.

Edit: Corrected my earlier measurements of my hill. Didn't think about it correctly.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to SwedishRider

Hey, nice! I love their products (I've two of their chainsaws and gear).
Question: site says it can have attachments like snow plow, thrower but nothing on the accessories page show these items.
Will you make this a seasonal machine (snow removal in Winter and lawn mower in Spring/Summer/Fall) ?
Wonder if it will need chains/weights?
--
Splat

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to SwedishRider

Tough name, Tough equipment :P

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Hey, nice! I love their products (I've two of their chainsaws and gear).
Question: site says it can have attachments like snow plow, thrower but nothing on the accessories page show these items.
Will you make this a seasonal machine (snow removal in Winter and lawn mower in Spring/Summer/Fall) ?
Wonder if it will need chains/weights?

Thanks! For some reason, the US version of the Husqvarna website is sorely lacking in available accessories. If you change it to Canada-English, or UK-English, you'll see the accessories. Or visit a Husqvarna dealer, they have access to the entire catalog of attachments.

I'm planning on making this a year-round machine, but I'm hoping winter passes me by with no snow to have to clean. The AWD Riders cannot use wheel weights or chains because of the sensitivity of the AWD system. A "counterweight" weight bar is sold to add seasonal weight if needed for certain activities. The AWD is supposed to be pretty good in the snow, but obviously I've yet to try it.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to Zach1

said by Zach1:

Very Nice!! Really like the mower deck access! Never seen one quite like it. Please post an update after you get some time on it. Sweetie Pie just might get one next spring.

Will do. Be aware that if you have flat land and don't need AWD, Husqvarna sells a 2wd model for about $3900 MSRP.

»www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riders/r-220t/

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SwedishRider

Do you happen to know how steep the hills are you have? Any pictures? This might be what I need to get for the 28 degree hill we have.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Draiman:

Do you happen to know how steep the hills are you have? Any pictures? This might be what I need to get for the 28 degree hill we have.

Steepest hills I travel with it are in the 25 degree (47% slope) range, give or take. Note the instruction manual says not to exceed 10 degrees, and typical garden tractor says not to exceed 15 degrees. It's more of a legal liability thing than anything else. As long as you take your time and climb straight up and go straight down, you should be fine. But always use caution and common sense.

I would call a couple of Husqvarna dealers in your area and take an AWD rider for a test run. It is impressive and might be a good solution for you.

»www.husqvarna.com/us/dealers/dealer-locator/

And remember MSRP is just that- a suggested price. Don't be shy about pricing it around to get the best deal available for that model. JD dealers were reluctant to move very far on prices, but I was able to get a decent amount off the MSRP of the Husky Rider. Good luck!

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

I hose the deck down after each use to keep it from rotting out

Don't do that. Clean the deck without using water, especially water under pressure. The water will get into the blade bearings and they will eventually seize. Best to use a leaf blower or just brush the deck clean.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Another option, if you feel you must spray the deck with water, is to start the mower when you're done cleaning and run the deck for a few moments to spin any water out of the bearings.

My Cub Cadet actually has a couple of water ports integral to the deck and a hose adapter for washing the deck while it's spinning. The dealer advised me, when I took delivery, not to utilize them... as he has seen too many bearing failures caused by such a practice. Just sayin', mind you.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider

That is a awesome looking freak of a machine.
I hope it lasts a long time and keeps you as happy as you are now with it.

The only thing about those things that come to mind, is the accessories.
If you can afford them, get them while they are still available.
--
Getting it Done.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Draiman

Actually it's new but a 2011 model. And that they don't just sell many of them at that price!

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Msradell:

Actually it's new but a 2011 model. And that they don't just sell many of them at that price!

List is $17,900.00 on the 2012 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 4x4.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Critsmcgee:

List is $17,900.00 on the 2012 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 4x4.

That price puts it pretty deep into John Deere CUT country... or a Ventrac system for that matter.

»ventrac.com/

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to raythompsontn

said by raythompsontn:

said by SwedishRider:

I hose the deck down after each use to keep it from rotting out

Don't do that. Clean the deck without using water, especially water under pressure. The water will get into the blade bearings and they will eventually seize. Best to use a leaf blower or just brush the deck clean.

From the R 322T AWD owner's manual:

Cleaning
Clean the machine directly after use. It is much easier to wash
off grass cuttings before they dry.

Oily dirt can be removed using a cold degreasing agent.
Spray on a thin layer.

Rinse at normal water pressure.

Do not direct the jet towards electrical components or
bearings.

Do not rinse hot surfaces such as the engine and exhaust
system.

It is recommended that you start the engine and run the
mower for a short period after cleaning, so that any remaining
water is blown off.

Lubricate the machine if necessary after cleaning. Carry out
extra lubrication when the bearings have been exposed to a
degreaser or a water jet.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Avoid using a high pressure washer or a steam cleaner.
There is a major risk of water penetrating into bearings and
electrical connections. Corrosion attack can result, which
will lead to running problems. Cleaning additives generally
aggravate the damage.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to SwedishRider

You know you are getting old when you are exited about your new lawn mower.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by battleop:

You know you are getting old when you are exited about your new lawn mower.

I think quite a few here were as excited as the OP It's fun to listen to and watch someone who just dropped a bundle of money on a man toy.