Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to Draiman

Re: Got my new Swedish Rider!

said by Draiman:

Do you happen to know how steep the hills are you have? Any pictures? This might be what I need to get for the 28 degree hill we have.

Steepest hills I travel with it are in the 25 degree (47% slope) range, give or take. Note the instruction manual says not to exceed 10 degrees, and typical garden tractor says not to exceed 15 degrees. It's more of a legal liability thing than anything else. As long as you take your time and climb straight up and go straight down, you should be fine. But always use caution and common sense.

I would call a couple of Husqvarna dealers in your area and take an AWD rider for a test run. It is impressive and might be a good solution for you.

»www.husqvarna.com/us/dealers/dealer-locator/

And remember MSRP is just that- a suggested price. Don't be shy about pricing it around to get the best deal available for that model. JD dealers were reluctant to move very far on prices, but I was able to get a decent amount off the MSRP of the Husky Rider. Good luck!

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SwedishRider

said by SwedishRider:

I hose the deck down after each use to keep it from rotting out

Don't do that. Clean the deck without using water, especially water under pressure. The water will get into the blade bearings and they will eventually seize. Best to use a leaf blower or just brush the deck clean.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Another option, if you feel you must spray the deck with water, is to start the mower when you're done cleaning and run the deck for a few moments to spin any water out of the bearings.

My Cub Cadet actually has a couple of water ports integral to the deck and a hose adapter for washing the deck while it's spinning. The dealer advised me, when I took delivery, not to utilize them... as he has seen too many bearing failures caused by such a practice. Just sayin', mind you.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider

That is a awesome looking freak of a machine.
I hope it lasts a long time and keeps you as happy as you are now with it.

The only thing about those things that come to mind, is the accessories.
If you can afford them, get them while they are still available.
--
Getting it Done.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Draiman

Actually it's new but a 2011 model. And that they don't just sell many of them at that price!

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Msradell:

Actually it's new but a 2011 model. And that they don't just sell many of them at that price!

List is $17,900.00 on the 2012 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 4x4.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Critsmcgee:

List is $17,900.00 on the 2012 Dixie Chopper Xcaliber 4x4.

That price puts it pretty deep into John Deere CUT country... or a Ventrac system for that matter.

»ventrac.com/

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden
reply to raythompsontn

said by raythompsontn:

said by SwedishRider:

I hose the deck down after each use to keep it from rotting out

Don't do that. Clean the deck without using water, especially water under pressure. The water will get into the blade bearings and they will eventually seize. Best to use a leaf blower or just brush the deck clean.

From the R 322T AWD owner's manual:

Cleaning
Clean the machine directly after use. It is much easier to wash
off grass cuttings before they dry.

Oily dirt can be removed using a cold degreasing agent.
Spray on a thin layer.

Rinse at normal water pressure.

Do not direct the jet towards electrical components or
bearings.

Do not rinse hot surfaces such as the engine and exhaust
system.

It is recommended that you start the engine and run the
mower for a short period after cleaning, so that any remaining
water is blown off.

Lubricate the machine if necessary after cleaning. Carry out
extra lubrication when the bearings have been exposed to a
degreaser or a water jet.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Avoid using a high pressure washer or a steam cleaner.
There is a major risk of water penetrating into bearings and
electrical connections. Corrosion attack can result, which
will lead to running problems. Cleaning additives generally
aggravate the damage.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to SwedishRider

You know you are getting old when you are exited about your new lawn mower.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

said by battleop:

I think quite a few here were as excited as the OP It's fun to listen to and watch someone who just dropped a bundle of money on a man toy.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

When you drop that kind of cash on something I think your allowed to get excited about it. I was excited about my $900 wide area mower I got this year. It reduced the time it took to mow the lawn from 3 1/2 hours to 1 1/2 hours. Who wouldn't be excited about that? I won't mention the new mower cuts better, holds more gas, etc.
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by battleop:

Like I said, you know you are getting old when those types of things excite you.

Aside from trolling what does age have to do with it really? Who wouldn't like to cut 30-50% off the amount of time it takes to do a CHORE? Any person regardless of age will agree.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Anon

said by battleop:

Like I said, you know you are getting old when those types of things excite you.

Obviously spoken by a woman!

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to Draiman

Well, I could reduce my time by a factor of ten if I bought a weed-whacker, but I do a better job and enjoy doing that chore with my hands.

I think the OP has every right to be excited - although when I borrowed my neighbor's 220 last summer, I was very disappointed with its fuel consumption. It used almost two gallons more than my JD 54" mower does for the same 3.5 acres that I mow.
But I loved the ride, the seat and the turning.

battleop

reply to Draiman

Sigh.... Some people get so bent out of shape over the littlest of things. It's a JOKE.

When I was a kid all of the crotchety old men in our neighborhood did nothing but talk about their riding mowers and yell at the kids to stay off their lawn.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr

join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

said by battleop:

I can think of a lot of exciting things but a lawnmower isn't one of them.

Are you done yet?

battleop

Nope.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by battleop:

Nope.

Yes you are.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SwedishRider

I notice the mower has 2 transmissions. Do you happen to know if either is serviceable?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

Click for full size
downloadHUSO2012_USe···1-95.pdf 6,365,230 bytes
Husqvarna R 322T AWD Owner's Manual
Click for full size
downloadHUSI2012_NAa···__20.pdf 5,278,400 bytes
Husqvarna R 322T AWD Schematics
Both are serviceable as I understand it. There is a gearbox that is located in the rear of the Rider that services both axles (manual says it uses 10W-50 synthetic oil).

Husqvarna publishes their owner's manuals and schematics of their machines for free download. I've uploaded them here. Take a look.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SwedishRider

Aside from the price I want one. I called my local dealer and they don't have any of these in stock to test. Building a new garage this year but next Spring maybe I can get one.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Draiman:

Aside from the price I want one. I called my local dealer and they don't have any of these in stock to test. Building a new garage this year but next Spring maybe I can get one.

It's an awesome machine. I still haven't owned it long enough to give it a fair review, but I said it earlier in the thread, there's a lot to like about this machine. I don't think you will be sorry if you get one. But in all fairness, you should comparison shop it against the JD x500 series and the Cub Cadet 2000 series, which are in the same price league as the AWD Rider.

I just feel you'll get the most for your money with the AWD Rider, but you should decide that for yourself.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

4 edits
reply to SwedishRider

Very clever features - two pop out at me - the grass gets cut before the heavy wheels mash the grass down. I bet the day after mowing you cant see any wheel marks.
The deck flips up for easy cleaning, blade changes, an under deck re-paint if so desired. Very nice. At work I use a walk behind Husqy that does 8 to 9 hours duty per week and is 12 years old. It's getting a little long in the tooth, but the cut is incredible. The day after mowing the lawn looks like a green carpet. No wheel marks. Nice. Razor sharp balanced blades make a difference, to be sure.

Husqy is one of the few in that size category who have yet to yield to the lure of an MTD buyout. {Appalause}

Just to share, not as advice - - I have a 23 HP Kohler at home. The pleated paper air filter has a foam pre-cleaner element. The conventional wisdom around here is to not oil the pre-cleaner. After one particularly dusty mow, the dust passed through the pre-cleaner and was all up against the paper filter. This induced me to start oiling the pre-filter. I keep two pre-filters in rotation, and wash them in a coffee can full of either Dawn dish soap (because it has alcohol) or what I prefer - Pine Sol or generic Pine Sol and very hot tap water. Follow with a garden hose rinse, air dry, and re-oil. I swear my engine oil has stayed much cleaner per a visual evaluation. I don't think I'm imagining this, as I wasn't expecting the cleaner oil result. I recently started some mowing at night due to scheduling issues. Anyone who has mowed at night with headlights knows that mowing is a constant extreme dust situation, even when the grass is damp. Never knew that.

Another share - if buying rubber gloves to oil a pre-cleaner is a bother, oil in a sandwich baggie will work to distribute the oil into the pre-cleaner. Half a teaspoon or so of oil is probably enough. I use aerosol filter oil (which could well be refined waste oil - dunno) or regular engine oil works just as well.

One more share, for the 99th time - mice and air cooled engines. I asked two long time mower mechanics if mice were the number one cause of mower engine failures. They replied in perfect unison: "Yes." Dryer sheets, moth balls - none of that has worked for me. I surround the parked mower with mouse traps in hopes they will snap in before nest building in my engine. To blurt the obvious - the fan on top of a mower engine drives cooling air down around the pistons and out the bottom. The resultant air flow is absolutely essential to the engine's health and longevity. I grew very tired of pulling the engine shroud to remove engine cooling air flow blocking engine killing mouse nests. By now I could probably beat Junior Johnson in a Kohler engine shroud dismount/ mount contest.

For bonus points, and a cure for your insomnia -- can anyone tell me what single event caused the wide spread advent of air filter pre-cleaners?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

If you read your Kohler manual it calls for oiling the pre-filter and gives instructions on how to do it.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

said by Jack_in_VA:

If you read your Kohler manual it calls for oiling the pre-filter and gives instructions on how to do it.

That's true.