share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SwedishRider

Re: Got my new Swedish Rider!

I notice the mower has 2 transmissions. Do you happen to know if either is serviceable?

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
Click for full size
downloadHUSO2012_USe···1-95.pdf 6,365,230 bytes
Husqvarna R 322T AWD Owner's Manual
Click for full size
downloadHUSI2012_NAa···__20.pdf 5,278,400 bytes
Husqvarna R 322T AWD Schematics
Both are serviceable as I understand it. There is a gearbox that is located in the rear of the Rider that services both axles (manual says it uses 10W-50 synthetic oil).

Husqvarna publishes their owner's manuals and schematics of their machines for free download. I've uploaded them here. Take a look.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to SwedishRider
Aside from the price I want one. I called my local dealer and they don't have any of these in stock to test. Building a new garage this year but next Spring maybe I can get one.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
said by Draiman:

Aside from the price I want one. I called my local dealer and they don't have any of these in stock to test. Building a new garage this year but next Spring maybe I can get one.

It's an awesome machine. I still haven't owned it long enough to give it a fair review, but I said it earlier in the thread, there's a lot to like about this machine. I don't think you will be sorry if you get one. But in all fairness, you should comparison shop it against the JD x500 series and the Cub Cadet 2000 series, which are in the same price league as the AWD Rider.

I just feel you'll get the most for your money with the AWD Rider, but you should decide that for yourself.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits
reply to SwedishRider
Very clever features - two pop out at me - the grass gets cut before the heavy wheels mash the grass down. I bet the day after mowing you cant see any wheel marks.
The deck flips up for easy cleaning, blade changes, an under deck re-paint if so desired. Very nice. At work I use a walk behind Husqy that does 8 to 9 hours duty per week and is 12 years old. It's getting a little long in the tooth, but the cut is incredible. The day after mowing the lawn looks like a green carpet. No wheel marks. Nice. Razor sharp balanced blades make a difference, to be sure.

Husqy is one of the few in that size category who have yet to yield to the lure of an MTD buyout. {Appalause}

Just to share, not as advice - - I have a 23 HP Kohler at home. The pleated paper air filter has a foam pre-cleaner element. The conventional wisdom around here is to not oil the pre-cleaner. After one particularly dusty mow, the dust passed through the pre-cleaner and was all up against the paper filter. This induced me to start oiling the pre-filter. I keep two pre-filters in rotation, and wash them in a coffee can full of either Dawn dish soap (because it has alcohol) or what I prefer - Pine Sol or generic Pine Sol and very hot tap water. Follow with a garden hose rinse, air dry, and re-oil. I swear my engine oil has stayed much cleaner per a visual evaluation. I don't think I'm imagining this, as I wasn't expecting the cleaner oil result. I recently started some mowing at night due to scheduling issues. Anyone who has mowed at night with headlights knows that mowing is a constant extreme dust situation, even when the grass is damp. Never knew that.

Another share - if buying rubber gloves to oil a pre-cleaner is a bother, oil in a sandwich baggie will work to distribute the oil into the pre-cleaner. Half a teaspoon or so of oil is probably enough. I use aerosol filter oil (which could well be refined waste oil - dunno) or regular engine oil works just as well.

One more share, for the 99th time - mice and air cooled engines. I asked two long time mower mechanics if mice were the number one cause of mower engine failures. They replied in perfect unison: "Yes." Dryer sheets, moth balls - none of that has worked for me. I surround the parked mower with mouse traps in hopes they will snap in before nest building in my engine. To blurt the obvious - the fan on top of a mower engine drives cooling air down around the pistons and out the bottom. The resultant air flow is absolutely essential to the engine's health and longevity. I grew very tired of pulling the engine shroud to remove engine cooling air flow blocking engine killing mouse nests. By now I could probably beat Junior Johnson in a Kohler engine shroud dismount/ mount contest.

For bonus points, and a cure for your insomnia -- can anyone tell me what single event caused the wide spread advent of air filter pre-cleaners?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
If you read your Kohler manual it calls for oiling the pre-filter and gives instructions on how to do it.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
said by Jack_in_VA:

If you read your Kohler manual it calls for oiling the pre-filter and gives instructions on how to do it.

That's true.