share rss forum feed

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

1 edit
reply to signmeuptoo

Re: I've been wondering...

If they don't have prices in large numbers you can see while driving by, keep driving!

Certified used cars?
Why do I need a certified used car dealer to tell me it's a used car?
All they do is change the oil and air filter and maybe check tire pressure then wash and shine it up!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

The term certified usually means the car meets certain criteria (age, mileage, etc.), making it eligible for an extended warranty.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

said by No_Strings:

The term certified usually means the car meets certain criteria (age, mileage, etc.), making it eligible for an extended warranty.

That doesn't sound right!
how can they get a legit warranty for (say) a 10 year old car?
If it one of the dealers warranty you may want a lawyer to review the warranty before signing anything!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by The Pig:

They don't certify 10 year-old vehicles. That's not really the point, though. A service contract of any type is like an insurance policy - you're betting you'll need it; the company selling it is betting you don't.

said by The Pig:

If it one of the dealers warranty you may want a lawyer to review the warranty before signing anything!

Any contract should be read and understood before it is signed. Whether you're buying a new car or a used one, you should know what coverage exists and determine the value of it. That value can be in real dollars on cost avoidance, in peace of mind or both.

The point was simply that "Certified" used is a standard industry term and may differentiate a vehicle from one that is not.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to The Pig

For example, Honda certified used cars are less than 6 years old and have a maximum of 80,000 miles. They come with a free Carfax history report, a 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty (or an extension to 4 years / 48,000 miles if within the original warranty period), and a 7 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

The seller doesn't "get" a warranty, he "gives" a warranty.

If I were so inclined, I suppose I could have given a warranty with the 14-year-old Civic I disposed of. My asking price would have gone up substantially, however, to cover my (really quite high) risk. I'd have probably wanted an extra $20K or so to issue that warranty