spc
Search similar:

uniqs

arthurmtl
@videotron.ca

arthurmtl

Anon

[Internet] Warning - you can be locked out of your own videotron

A recording of a Videotron customer service phone call. This is not a billing issue.

»youtu.be/5P8ZW0-pO6U

I had allowed another party secondary access to my account.

Videotron allowed that party to "lock me out" of my own account.

Crucial personal and business information has been lost forever.

Is Videotron accepting blame here or not? You be the judge.

chosebine
@videotron.ca

chosebine

Anon

Re: [Internet] Warning - you can be locked out of your own video

Anybody with the correct information (birthday and mother's maiden name) will have access the account. not just someone that you ask to add yourself.

In theory we shouldn't accept to give service to someone who have the correct information but who is not the correct sex for example. but a third party with the correct information but not the correct sex could always ask to a man to do the call for her.

Yes it's stupid that the third party was allowed to change the account owner. When you add someone to the account to be allowed to call us and make change, the agent is supposed to ask you what kind of access you want to give to this third party.

Maybe the agent did'nt ask it and didn't wrote anything beside the name dans the birthday of the third party. so when the third party called to change the account owner, nobody realise the security issue.

Videotron made a mistake about this. a allowed third party cannot do some change like adding a other third party, and I'm pretty sure he cannot change a account owner too. The videotron policy dont allow it but it could happen that the agent made a mistake.

did you call the costumer service or the technical support about this? did you ask to speak to a supervisor?

it's possible to use a password that you choose instead of the birhday and mother's maiden name.
misternox
join:2009-12-17
canada

misternox to arthurmtl

to arthurmtl
said by arthurmtl :

Why are you angry with Videotron over this? You added another person to your account whom you couldn't trust with such crucial information. They weren't given "secondary access", it was in fact equal access; consider it like a joint bank account: don't blame the bank if the other party that has lawful access to the account drains it without your permission.

PatPatate
join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

PatPatate

said by misternox:

consider it like a joint bank account

Except it isn't a joint bank account...

indeedy
@videotron.ca

indeedy to arthurmtl

Anon

to arthurmtl
said by arthurmtl :

Yup. They even stated so.

bonne chance
@videotron.ca

bonne chance to arthurmtl

Anon

to arthurmtl
said by arthurmtl :

A recording of a Videotron customer service phone call. This is not a billing issue.

»youtu.be/5P8ZW0-pO6U

Videotron allowed that party to "lock me out" of my own account.

Yup, this is true, as far as I know.

My wife has access to make changes. Once she even threatened to cancel the accounts. It was all no problem.

The person you name as allowed to have access can do anything it appears.

I will only assume your wife/GF did this?

Consider yourself lucky. This person lost her account to an ex-husband who was never even listed as a secondary person and took over her account. Rogers just did it for no reason at all, »Rogers privacy violation contributes to divorce

Does their ToS or privacy policy mention anything about 3rd party access? Did you look? You might want to before filing with the CRTC to see if there is anything you can, or should, add to this.

ArmChair Law
@videotron.ca

ArmChair Law to arthurmtl

Anon

to arthurmtl
Maybe I'm wrong here, you can try and figure this out for yourself, but I don't think Videotron did anything wrong, except not notifying you before removing you as the primary account holder, which per them, they should have (their own words).

I see this as a proxy. And you gave verbal permission by phone and named your proxy. Even in legal matters you can name a proxy (but that is usually signed). Stuff like this, for services like this is normally all verbal (except for private account details about you which required something signed and you naming your proxy in writing).

However, account cancellation, or taking over the primary account should raise flags, unless you're dead or in a hospital. And even then many companies want a fax of the death certificate before cancelling the primary account holders access. Are you dead?

I don't know what services you were locked out from, But, if you got locked out of stuff and your personal information is then viewable by the other person then that would be a no-no per Canadian privacy laws. An example of this could be:
You have videotron Cell phone which shows who you call, or who called you on your billing statement. Your wife pulls this fast one and takes over your account, and your phone number, and/or billing history showing all your phone numbers (who called who, when and where) to her. Well, this would be against privacy laws and videotrons own privacy policy.

So anyhow, maybe you have something here and maybe you don't. Depends on the service you are locked out of and what this 3rd party can/will do and can see, and what videotron allows this person to see.

But if this is a malicious act that caused you harm, then you should bring this to small claims and sue the 3rd party who abused their position as a 3rd party (proxy) as well. Not just Videotron.

InTHEnews
@videotron.ca

InTHEnews

Anon

Videotron dumps customer after divorce
»www.montrealgazette.com/ ··· ory.html
Arthur Pequegnat figures a lot of people get divorced, so he’s wondering why Videotron seems to have no policy for when a husband moves out, and his ex-wife takes over the home’s Internet account.

Pequegnat’s email account was deleted by the telecommunications company at the beginning of this month, when his wife assumed control of the Internet account.

“I was told by them that they dumped me because I am no longer the name on the account,” he said. “All I wanted initially was access to the account for 24 hours so I could collect my personal information and business contacts. They were unwilling to do that.”

After several calls with Videotron’s customer service, Pequegnat was unable to get any satisfaction, and in a call he recorded and later posted to You Tube, a customer service representative can be heard telling him that normally, the company advises its customers before an account is terminated.

“Something happened,” the agent told Pequegnat on the edited recording.

Pequegnat said it’s even more puzzling that this would happen, since he was the primary name on the account, and his wife was the secondary name. He said he’s puzzled that he was required to consent over the phone to have her name added to the account, but that she could remove his name without him knowing.

In an emailed statement, Videotron said the company’s policy allows secondary account users to have the same privileges as the primary account holder, which includes creating and deleting email accounts. The statement went on to say that a secondary account holder can withdraw the access of the primary account holder.
Continues.....

Who here has read a policy statement viewable to all about secondary account users being able and allowed to delete the primary users accounts, and close accounts?

I never saw it. Anyone? Is this online? If so, I didn't see it in the user policy, or even their privacy policy.

Can someone point me to it, please. Thanks.

Encore More
@videotron.ca

Encore More

Anon

A little bit more info here:
Canada's privacy commissioner says he should contact Videotrons privacy officer.

Videotron refuses to reinstate email account after divorce
»blogs.montrealgazette.co ··· divorce/
GuiGQc
join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

GuiGQc to arthurmtl

to arthurmtl
Est-ce que c'est pour le même cas que ce sujet là: »[NEWS] Videotron Bans Man From His Own Account