spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Todd12
join:2012-08-20
Bradley, IL

Todd12

Dsl speed question

I have basic dsl 768/384. I ran a speed test and got this.0.66mbps down and 0.32mbps up. Is this good or bad? I just bought new computer. I thinking about upgrading one notice with att dsl. The 1.5mbps. I'm paying 25 dollars for the speed above. My only other option would be medicom threw cable company. I have motorola 2210 threw ethernet. Thanks.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

said by Todd12:

I have basic dsl 768/384. I ran a speed test and got this.0.66mbps down and 0.32mbps up. Is this good or bad? I just bought new computer. I thinking about upgrading one notice with att dsl. The 1.5mbps. I'm paying 25 dollars for the speed above. My only other option would be medicom threw cable company. I have motorola 2210 threw ethernet. Thanks.

The speed test result is appropriate for the "768/384" that you have. There is a good-deal of "overhead" that chews up some of the bandwidth, so you don't get the full "768/384".

Whether you upgrade is up to you. In general, speeds from a cable company are likely to be faster. But, you will probably pay more for that greater speed.

I used to have 768/160 DSL and was quite happy with it. I now have 12M/1M DSL and am quite happy with that. I could get much faster speeds from cable, but I don't really need them, and don't really want to pay more...
Todd12
join:2012-08-20
Bradley, IL

Todd12

Thanks. The cable company is big money. Well not big money but more then i went to spend for internet. I thinking about just upgrading dsl 1 notch to 33 dollars a month. The 1.5 i forget what they call it express or pro one of those is 33 for existing customer Once again Thanks.

Ps. Been a while since i've drove up 57 to Chicago..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

1.5 M (1536/384) service is called, "Express". It is the minimum speed I would consider acceptable. I started on "Express", then graduated to "Pro" (3008/512), then dropped AT&T for Sonic.net "Fusion" (5700/500 sync at 9,156 ft; same copper as the AT&T "Pro"). Then I fell seriously ill.

Been kicking around various facilities with AT&T "Basic", and after the higher speeds, of the past, found
"Basic" service to be painful.

Legacy AT&T DSL is ADSL over an ATM link. That ATM link will "eat" ~15% of your modem sync speed, which is what AT&T is selling. Rule of thumb is to multiply your modem sync speed by .85 to get your data throughput. "Fusion" is also ATM, so that affects my speeds the same way; so 4.8 M down and .4 M up.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to Todd12

Premium Member

to Todd12
said by Todd12:

Ps. Been a while since i've drove up 57 to Chicago..

Been a while since I've been to Bradley. A =very= long while. But I have been there...
Expand your moderator at work