how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

Router id/pw

My brother has FIOS (as do I) but he's one of the many people who have no idea what their roter ID/PW combo is when you go to the 192.168.1.1 screen. Isn't it the router ID and password or password1???
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

There's a label on the bottom of my router with the password. User is "admin". Did he look on his for such a label?

NickP65

join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ
reply to fishacura

id is admin

password should be the router's serial number. I believe they changed it from password1 in 2010 ...

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to bhan261

Thanks! I will check with him tonight when he's home. Appreciate it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to fishacura

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »I can't login to the VZ router

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

You'd think in their FAQ they'd tell you what to use in the user ID field lol! Thanks though.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

1 recommendation

By "their" I'm assuming you're referring to the FAQ I linked, not one on the official VZ site. I updated the linked FAQ to include the user name.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

On my recently-installed MI424WR Rev I router, the initial password is not the serial number. It's 8 random characters: upper- and lowercase letters and symbols. The user name (admin) and password are on the sticker on the bottom/side of the router. The serial number is also on the sticker, but it's different.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Thanks. I've added a note to the FAQ.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

1 recommendation

reply to More Fiber

You know after I hit send I realized that the FAQ isn't coming from Verizon but from this site. Sorry....probably sounded like a creep complaining about it. I was doing 2 things at once and should have slowed down. At any rate....the login DID work and I reminded him to change his user ID and PW so THANKS!

Amazing how many people have no idea what their ID/PW is and have never changed it.
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

said by fishacura:

Amazing how many people have no idea what their ID/PW is and have never changed it.

Not at all, very few people ever have a need to login to their routers. Those here who subscribe to this forum do but we are by far the minority...we are the 1% and probably smaller percent who actually change settings on the router.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

But how do people set up and/or change their WPA/WEP passwords???

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by fishacura:

They don't. Most people keep it what it was set originally. When I got the 150/65 tier and they gave me another router. They gave me a booklet with the password written in it. The first thing I did was login and change the password. Then I turned off the wireless radio. Then I disconnected router and plugged my own router into the ONT connection. So this new gigabit router will sit there gathering dust along with the other three routers that FiOS gave me.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

Amazing....so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info. NUTS!

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by fishacura:

Amazing....so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info. NUTS!

When they handle dozens of these a day its HIGHLY NOT likely. They truly have better things to do than track each pw at every home.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

You're more trusting than I am. I could easily see someone making a racket out of compiling that info and either selling it and/or doing a "drive by" a month down the road and hacking into the network to get personal info. If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.
--

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by fishacura:

You're more trusting than I am. I could easily see someone making a racket out of compiling that info and either selling it and/or doing a "drive by" a month down the road and hacking into the network to get personal info. If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.

actually no...it would be far more suspicious to see a car parked outside your home with someone on a laptop attempting to access your wireless network.

In today's paranoid environment that would be riskier so you can take off your tinfoil hat and relax. There are more places that have more people that have access to far more details about your life than your verizon installer.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

Not at all...I'm not one of those "how dare you ask for my license" people. However, to knowingly allow someone to know any user id/pw is just bad practice. A car parked in the open in the country versus someone on a laptop in an urban environment are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Again, I'm not saying go live in your bunker...but there's a big difference between very minor steps to securing you personal information and putting on a tin foil hat.
--

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fishacura

said by fishacura:

If there are hundreds of techs doing these installations, it's absurd to think there aren't at least a few rotten apples.

Speaking from decades of experience, you are absolutely wrong about the integrety of the VZ techs.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to fishacura

said by fishacura:

Although in any barrel of apples, you'll find a bad one, I don't think the metaphor applies to VZ techs. Their performance metric includes numbers of installs, and they have to hustle to keep their numbers up. They don't have time to be villains.

Ok, so I made that part up, only a VZ tech could confirm that part.

But I will say, in my experience the first thing the install tech did was show me how to log in, showed me how he was changing to password1 (in the old days), and asked me if I wanted to change it. When I did, he was looking away, and he told me to remember the password, and how a hard reset would start everything back at default.

Do they still do it that way? Hope so.

Today, a hard reset starts at a login screen that asks you to set your own password.

Even if a FiOS tech knew someone's router password, it wouldn't do much good for very long because at the first sign of trouble, tech support advises a reboot, and if that doesn't fix the problem a hard reset or a replacement router is the next course of action.

Somewhere in all that process, folks learn about accessing the GUI configuration. Slow but sure.

Of course that doesn't do anything to help someone setting their password to ABC123.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura

Not a shot at VZ at all. If I didn't trust them and value their service, I wouldn't be a customer. But come on....to believe that it's a completely safe practice not to reset your user id/pw after someone had access to it is just naive in today's world. Sad...yet true IMHO.
--

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by fishacura:

reset your user id/pw after someone had access to it

Actually, I'd think most people leave the user id intact and only change the password, not knowing that changing it to admin96 or even heyitsme adds security. Well, Actiontec allows that, some routers can't handle a username change.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to fishacura

said by fishacura:

so any TECH who's out installing FIOS could easily have your personal info.

So what if he has the router password?

What does it get him unless you've explicitly enabled remote access to the router GUI (it's disabled by default)?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.