uniqs
share rss forum feed

ric

@comcast.net
reply to The Q

Re: beIN Sport USA

said by The Q:

said by rej4sl:

The only soccer channel on Comcast is Fox Soccer Channel.

I thought GOL TV was a soccer channel? I have that on my comcast channel lineup (along with FSC).

Gol Tv is soccer channel but it is part of spanish package

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz (wrong answer!!)

Gol TV and Gol TV HD is not part of a spanish package. I have the Triple Play and receive it. Otherwise (from what I know) it's part of the Sports and Entertainment package if you don't receive it otherwise.

Acct-
Believe me, there are a lot more soccer fans in the US than you think. I'll be with 18,499 of them tomorrow night at PPL Park to watch the Union. Come on down and check it out!

usry723

join:2009-04-09
Augusta, GA
Comcast wouldn't be caving this quick if their weren't a ton of soccer fans hassling them about the channel.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
said by usry723:

Comcast wouldn't be caving this quick if their weren't a ton of soccer fans hassling them about the channel.

Is there a deal with comcast to carry beIn Sport?

usry723

Augusta, GA
Not yet but several people who would know hinting that a deal is close. Plus you have both sides saying they are working together. How often do you see Comcast actually come out and address a single channel?

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
According to this article just out on the Multichannel News site, the deal with Comcast could be announced as soon as today:

BeIN Sports Nearing Comcast Carriage Pact: Sources
By Mike Reynolds, Multichannel News - August 23, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/488···rces.php

usry723

Augusta, GA
That's good news. I'm praying that they get at least the SD channel on everyone's lineup before the USA's game against Jamaica. But you never know. I'm still waiting on FSC HD in my area.

Eggman10

@myvzw.com
reply to ric
GOL TV and FSC are part of my $8 a month sports package on Comcast. Don't need to get the whole Spanish package.

ric

@comcast.net
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

Bzzzzzzzzzzzz (wrong answer!!)

Gol TV and Gol TV HD is not part of a spanish package. I have the Triple Play and receive it. Otherwise (from what I know) it's part of the Sports and Entertainment package if you don't receive it otherwise.

Acct-
Believe me, there are a lot more soccer fans in the US than you think. I'll be with 18,499 of them tomorrow night at PPL Park to watch the Union. Come on down and check it out!

At least in Colorado Gol TV is part of spanish package.
FYI I have all channels (some of them you can't even get)

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Acct101
Soccer fans are a disproportionate number of the people online who make channel requests. The same with sci-fi fans.

The general public is not clamoring for BBC America or soccer the way you see it on the internet.

beIN is an extremely niche channel.

usry723

Augusta, GA
Grant Wahl one of the most respect Soccer writers in America says that Comcast and beIN have reached a deal.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Just saw the same post! Now, to only hear the actual details...

Can't get too excited just yet.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

usry723

Augusta, GA
Nope. I live in Georgia and they don't seem to think we care about Soccer down here.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Now just confirmed -

Deal signed, however will take several weeks to roll across ALL markets.

Gets better by the minute - still trying to confirm if HD..
--

usry723

Augusta, GA
Link?

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
English version of the channel will be a part of the Sports & Entertainment package -

Spanish version will be in the MultiLatino package.

More to come...
--

Os

US
reply to usry723
I'm glad this was a quick ordeal, but I don't think there's a chance it gets carried in HD using the evidence of how Comcast has treated the Pac-12 Network, ESPN Goal Line and some other things that would probably have greater viewership than beIN.

usry723

Augusta, GA
said by Os:

I'm glad this was a quick ordeal, but I don't think there's a chance it gets carried in HD using the evidence of how Comcast has treated the Pac-12 Network, ESPN Goal Line and some other things that would probably have greater viewership than beIN.

I don't even have FSC in HD so I'll just be happy to get the SD version. Hope it arrives in time for the USA/Jamaica match.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
Confirmed - only SD for the launch. HD is under consideration long term.

BOOOO! They had a chance to make a big splash - especially considering all of the f'ing bandwidth available right now specifically in the Philly market, but chose not to - most likely b/c not all areas could sustain it.

Oh well - i won't be greedy. I'd assume they'll place it right after Gol TV SD as there's a channel slot open there in the numbering sequence.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
The bandwidth they have in Philadelphia shows that they're sitting on tons of it throughout all their markets. That Center City system is only 750MHz and had all those additional premiums.

Considering how Comcast has killed off analog pretty much everywhere now (except the system next to me), bandwidth isn't really a problem I don't think for any larger areas. Bandwidth isn't really a legitimate excuse to avoid adding things in HD with Comcast anymore, IMO.

There's something up, and I think they're planning to move to IP delivery for TV. That's the only logical explanation that I can see.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
Here is the press release from beIN SPORT announcing the deal: »www.businesswire.com/news/home/2···national

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to JeepMatt
A note from Comcast that was just posted to the “BEIN SPORT USA” thread in the Comcast Help and Support Forum (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···5#M24596 ):

Comcast and beIN Sport have come to an agreement for Comcast to begin carrying the channel within the next few weeks.

The majority of customers who subscribe to MultiLatino or the Sports Entertainment Package will soon have the Spanish version of this new channel as part of their Comcast subscription.

The English version will be added to select lineups at a later date.

Launch dates and information for this new offering are still being finalized. Thanks for your patience.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
That has to be inaccurate....or inversed....this is the beINSport USA channel.

There's no way they'd only add the Spanish version...that makes no sense....

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Yeah, seemed strange to me also, but this is what another poster to that forum thread later said (»forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-a···7#M24606 ):

In fairness, the Latino Package subscribers should get it first, since WE were sold that particular package with the specific offering of La Liga as an incentive, in the first place. We reminded Comcast about it, two, three times A DAY and used the pressure from multiple small Latino restaurants, all over the country, that are Comcast subscribers and couldn't show La Liga to their customers and that last weekend had to help their potential customers find the nearest competing restaurant with DirectTV. Ouch!

I'm not surprised Comcast will offer the channel in the Latino package first, that's the way it should be... so there can be peace... and believe me, after the week they had with us, THEY want and need peace...

rej4sl

join:2008-07-11
Minneapolis, MN
reply to usry723
Yup from reading the forum on Comcast it seems they are adding the Spanish version nationally first and then the English version in select markets later.
This is pretty annoying as if they can add one version nationally they should add both nationally.
This seems pretty typical of Comcast to make an announcement and then withdraw from what they actually say.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad
If Comcast did specifically promise La Liga, then it was an overzealous sales rep who did so.

Also, a lot of times people assume things as a promise.

If the carriage agreement is in place, there is no reason to not go ahead and add both versions, but I'm sure Comcast is using this as an excuse to try and explain why it won't show up in certain areas.

usry723

Augusta, GA
USMNT qualifiers is the thing I want most.

As for English/Spanish, in my area GOLTV is in Spanish only in the Sports Tier. It was in English for a couple of years but they changed it to Spanish without notice and has been that way ever since.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Comcast just tweeted that the "Comcast engineers are working on the final details to get @beINSport live on Xfinity TV. More European soccer coming soon."

I knew it'd take a few weeks to grab the signal, distribute all of the IRD's, etc. to all of the regional areas and get everything groomed, mapped and tested. So for them to be making a follow up only a week after the main announcement, that's nice to see.

Chad473

join:2007-12-18
Lancaster, PA
still just PR fluff if you ask me. will be interesting to see just how widespread coverage is, or if this is just going to be FSC HD all over again. "officially carried" last May and still not available in many areas.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Latest insider word is that it will be live (at least in the Philly region) by next Thursday (9/6) at the latest.

I can't speak for other areas at this point.
--