Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy

Re: New Build, No POST

said by Kilroy:

bbear2 See Profile - Assembling outside the case is bad for a few reasons. Grounding is the biggest. Physical support would be second, especially for a video card. I haven't had a case in quite some time that had a PC speaker. In the end I believe you can do more harm than good by assembling your machine outside of the case.

Assembling the PC outside of the case (on top of the motherboard box with the antistatic bag below the motherboard) is actually quite a common troubleshooting mechanism.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

said by Gordo74:

Assembling the PC outside of the case (on top of the motherboard box with the antistatic bag below the motherboard) is actually quite a common troubleshooting mechanism.

Just because it is common doesn't mean it is right. If you're not building in a case you should be building on a test stand.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

said by Gordo74:

Just because it is common doesn't mean it is right. If you're not building in a case you should be building on a test stand.

You need something to raise the MB of your work space (the box) and ensire that nothing can short the contacts on yhe underside of the board (the anti static bag).

Those rigs are great if you o a lot of testing as they allow a permanent PSU to a test setup. For the oe of we mostly all fo, box+anti static bag is great.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

There are hundreds of SETI/Distributed Computing Farms built outside of cases and run for years on end. It is very common and accepted.

»bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homep ··· arms.htm