spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zoomer30

join:2003-05-01
Mason City, IA

How can you tell if your WiFi is going bad?

In just the past few days (started Sat night) my Kindle Fire has started acting odd. The Facebook "app" (really just a link to the mobile site) wont load up, just loads up the text with grey squares for the pics, with the stupid spinning circle in the tab for ever.

Gamespot also loads slow, sometimes. Tried doing a full reset on the Fire, still acts up. Seesm like with the Facebook the app is an "s" site, for secure, the plain non secure site seems to work...again SOMEtimes.

Might be time for a new router or perhaps check on interference.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
As a side note, I can stream HD netflix Wifi just fine.....so it could just be a face book or a general web browser issue. Probably just gonna have to live with it.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:121
If you think you are having issues with your wireless, you can plug one of your devices directly into your modem and see how it runs. If you don't see any issues, connect back to your wireless and test your speeds again.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
reply to Zoomer30
If you haven't try another device on your wifi. Or take the Fire to another place that has wifi and see what it does.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Seems like its just the https mobile version of Facebok that does not want to play ball. The http version will load....sometimes. Gonna know for sure tomorrow when I take it to an friends house....if it works there who knows then.

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
You can side load the Facebook app onto your Fire. It's pretty simple if you've already got an Android phone.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Seems like it will work now its back to not working. I even downloaded a WiFi analyser to see if I was in a clogged channel. Moved to a empty one still no dice. Cant tell if its my Fire, my Router, my Modem or my Internet (really doubt its my Internet since everything works fine on my wired in PC)

As of now if I try to load FB all it does is load up a few random images and just sits and spins, can see why they are working on a Fire 2, this thing is Junk.

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
Is the Fire the only thing using your wifi?
Try restarting the router.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Do the things I suggested and you will know what the issue is.

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to Zoomer30
can"t tell when your router is failing My last router I had a suddenly fell apart on me they just stop working when they feel like it.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Well it seems like its working now. Been leasing with Facebook, loading and reloading (sometimes ot would load right once then have an issue from then on) Only thing I did really was download a Wifi analysis app and found that all the routers on the complex were jammed into channel 1. It suggested channel 12....my routed does not HAVE a channel 12, but I picked the next best one. Could have helped or could have just been a Facebook issue.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Spoke too soon, acting up again (excuse me while I put on my shocked face). Worked great this afternoon, worked great over at my Moms house, come Ba k here and its acting like a turd again. Either the fire is getting spiked or theWiFi is, now i just have to figure out which one.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Tried my Ipod touch andnits doing the same thing. About the only thing left is a new routed. May also try a different power cord to see if that's going bad. PC works fine so WIRED its.good, WiFi it makes a slouth look like a coke fiend.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
So in just the past 10 mins its gone from not able to load anything WiFi to being fine, then.boom crappy again. Still fine wired, wish there was a way to tell if its the router, can see myself spending 60 bucks and still havering the same issue.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Just to add more to paradox, it can be chocking on a simple webpage but be able to stream netflix in HD.......makes.no.sense.

So the WiFi is good and broke at the same time.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
How can you tell if your WiFi is going bad?
Have you tried taking the lid off and sniffing it?

It sounds like you may be experiencing wireless interference…. possible? Are you running a microwave oven when these issues crop up? Do you have neigbors in close proximity that might be on the same wireless channel as you?
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

dmj

join:2002-01-05
Hoffman Estates, IL
reply to Zoomer30
I have had strange problems like this with my wireless connection every now and then. Unplugging the wireless router for 5 seconds or so and plugging it back in has always fixed the issue.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
I worried about interference, that's why I downloaded the WiFi analysis app. Seemed like a lot of them were in channel 1 with me, changed to a better one with no real improvement. Even last night, after watching a bit of a movie on NF, when I left the app and later tried to go back in it told me it could not connect. So it seems to be a now and then issue.

Ive reset the modem and the router at least 5 times since this started. Its a very old router and the modem is the same age (6 years or so) heck the modem is called a N DRAFT type, so old the N class had not been 100% set in stone yet.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Meant the router is a N Draft. But I can see myself spending coin on a new one and having not making one whit of difference.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Just more info: when I woke up this morning it worked fine, just tried it again and its acting up again. Could even be the brick on the powercord going bad.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1
Wireless interference will come and go as activity picks up or wanes throughout the night and day with people home or not home. It sounds like you have a lot of wireless users in your complex, and therefore the likelihood of interference is high.

Besides changing channels on the router (only 1, 6, and 11 are channels that don't overlap with adjacent channels), I'm not sure how much you can do. A dual-band router is an option, but only if all your devices are new enough to take advantage of it. I don't know enough about the N version to know how that helps you, and so I leave that discussion to others, nor am I experienced with Kindle Fire's, but one web item I saw suggested that the Kindle Fire works best when you limit the router to G protocols (54 Mbps or slower) and not try to use the faster N speeds.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
The Fire has been 100% happy since March untill about 4 days ago. Now its suddenly having an issue with my Router? And my Ipod is haveing the same issue. Its such a here/gone/back/gone/back issue that its hard to know what is helping.

Oh and has anyone noticed that the "login" thing at the top of the forum message never works? Always tells me my password is wrong. I have to use the login link at the very top of the webpage.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Here is my router info:

Belkin F5D8235-4

Did a search and to say its gotten some bad reviews is an understatment. One reviewer clamied they gave it one star becasue there was not a zero option.

I will agree that router is a turd to set up. The way a router is supposed to work is you sync up your modem, plug in the router and let it sync up. Well this one does not work that way. If I do that the 2 lights at the bottom just endlessy blink yellow.

I have to do all that, THEN re-cycle the modem. Thats not the proper way to do it but it works. I think its just more Belkin crap, probably get a Linksys next time.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
It sounds like you'd be happier just investing in a new router. Either that or find out which of your new neighbors is now doing something to mess you up and help them fix it. But a new modem sounds easier to do.

I don't believe I've ever had problems logging into this forum with either the Login point on an individual message screen or on the forum's mail page. Both work for me that I recall.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
And my modem is fine, the signals are good. +5 for downstream and about 35 for Upstream (way better than a fer years ago when that was in the low 50s and I felt it was good)

Also the router seems fine downloading on the PS3, getting 100MB in about a min 5 or a min 10 secs. So thats faster than 1MB per sec. The PS3 is wired in by the way. May just need a new WiFi.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
"Router" is what I meant in both sentences. I've had wireless routers where the wired side failed but not the wireless component, as well as wireless failing but not the wired side.

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Its proformance is all over the map..one min its fine, the next I cant get ANYthing to come up. Can even see the guage lose a bar now and then, and its less than 10ft away.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
Yeah, sounds like the WiFi portion might have tanked. A buddy of mine experienced similar issues. We swapped out his old unit with a new one and his connection became rock solid. Interestingly, his unit was a Belkin as well.

Hope you get the issue solved!!
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Over at my Moms house now, she has DSL. SEEMS to be working better. The website that will not load at home (»:facebook.com) loads here. Perhaps I need to invest in a Nexus 7 (Jelly Bean OS)

Zoomer30

Mason City, IA
reply to Zoomer30
Still acts up. Seems like if I logout of Facebook and then log back in it will load up 100%, but then if I try to reload it just sits and spins.

In the market for a new router, still looking. Probably get a top o the line Linksys, I am done with BelKRAPin.