spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

[General] PayPal scare

OK i just got an e-mail from PayPal stating my account is limited so i thought to my self o crap i am done now. Turns out they just wanted me to verify CC. Anyway below is an e-mail from PayPal.

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal
system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service. This is a second reminder to login to your account as soon as possible. Once you login, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved.
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

3 edits

47717768 (banned)

Thing is they have never contacted me. Another wearied thing is they have provided a link in the e-mail. Yes i have checked if it is in fact PayPal's URL, but how about people who would click on any link thinking it is legit?

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

OK i just got an e-mail from PayPal stating my account is limited so i thought to my self o crap i am done now. Turns out they just wanted me to verify CC. Anyway below is an e-mail from PayPal.

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal
system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

A recent review of your account determined that we require some additional
information from you in order to provide you with secure service. This is a second reminder to login to your account as soon as possible. Once you login, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain
limited until the issue has been resolved.
account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further
limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to log in to your
PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to
make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution
Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further
clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting
the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that
this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We
apologize for any inconvenience.

I think you just fell for the oldest scam in the book.
technocar2
join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

technocar2 to 47717768

to 47717768
You just gave your user name and password and CC to the scammers. Better change your user/password while you still can by actually going to paypal and not the email link; also change the security questions etc. Also you might want to freeze your CC account and change all the info for that as well because you also gave them your CC info.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Yea that is one of the older scams out there. Anytime I get something like that I go to the site directly by typing in the address. Hope you actually used a credit card and not a debit card. otherwise your paypal & bank account will be cleaned out before you know it.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe to 47717768

to 47717768
I got one the other day. Interesting as I don't even HAVE a Pay Pal account.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Thing is they have never contacted me. Another wearied thing is they have provided a link in the e-mail. Yes i have checked if it is in fact PayPal's URL, but how about people who would click on any link thinking it is legit?

It's a scam. It's not Paypal.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

Here is how URL looked like h||p://www.paypal.com.kd895s3xqyjcd4op.555asd1ie93d8555422cc3et1icmnpc56itejasvg6b.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?login-dispatch&login_email=email@domain.com&ref=pppsss1&login-processing=ok

[Mod Note: URL obfuscated. --kc]

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
That's a scam URL.

You can tell because there's a bunch of gibberish and then a ".com".

[REMOVED]itejasvg6b.com/cgi-bin/[/REMOVED]
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Thanks everyone. I will cancel my CC, and change PP password now.

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

All done. I can't believe i have failed for it.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

billydunwood

said by 47717768:

*fell for it. And, they will never ask for a User name or password if they are really paypal. That is why you always log on to your account or call them when you receive an email like this, never reply or click links in the email.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
How to tell if an email is a scam from Paypal or Ebay or your bank is your full name should be on the email!
Guess why your name wouldn't be on one of these emails!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
said by 47717768:

Not even close to done. They now know that you are vulnerable to being scammed and are gullible when it comes to handing over personal details that you normally never give out. You have been added to their "victims to scam with increased effort" list. That is not good. Expect an increased level in scam emails to your in-box.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Is there anything i can do at this moment or am i fucked?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, an obvious step is close that email account.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

said by Krisnatharok:

Well, an obvious step is close that email account.

Well i do not worry about the e-mail. My worry is the info like home address.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

1 recommendation

pcdebb to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Really Oleg? REALLY?!?!?? F*CKING REALLY?!????!!!!!!!????

I cant even believe you wasted your keystrokes even telling this story to us. This is not the first time you've done this idiotic crap, but you still fall for it. Again and again!!!

I know I might get a whippin for this, but I dont feel bad about this. AT ALL
pcdebb

pcdebb to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

That is why you always log on to your account or call them when you receive an email like this, never reply or click links in the email.

he already knows this
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to 47717768

to 47717768
Oleg, you might do well to take this quiz. I've taken it before and made all correct choices, but then I took it again the other day and missed one because I was careless and didn't pay close enough attention (ouch).

»www.opendns.com/phishing-quiz/

Some browsers and other software will raise an alarm for a suspicious URL. One of the things that they should check for (but probably don't) is a URL like one which you gave, where ".com" occurs twice. This is designed to fool the eye but shouldn't fool a browser!

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho

I got the same or similar email asking for a scanned copy or my recent bill, state issued ID, and SSN card. I called PayPal and come to find out changes in my state's law, Florida, has forced them to ask for such info. I think they are being regarded as a bank now which is stupid because they lack numerous features that many banks. So I refused and my account was limited for months until a few days ago when they put my account out of limited status into regular status. I consider PayPal no more than a stripped down middle man.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by Umitencho:

I got the same or similar email asking for a scanned copy or my recent bill, state issued ID, and SSN card. I called PayPal and come to find out changes in my state's law, Florida, has forced them to ask for such info.

How is that the same or similar as the OP? The OP had email from a scammer and went to a scammer's web site then filled out personal account info that went straight to a scammer's in-box. You had a legitimate email from PayPal that you called PayPal about on the phone and then ignored replying to with the requested documentation. Sounds unrelated to me.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to Umitencho

to Umitencho
said by Umitencho:

I got the same or similar email asking for a scanned copy or my recent bill, state issued ID, and SSN card. I called PayPal and come to find out changes in my state's law, Florida, has forced them to ask for such info. I think they are being regarded as a bank now which is stupid because they lack numerous features that many banks. So I refused and my account was limited for months until a few days ago when they put my account out of limited status into regular status. I consider PayPal no more than a stripped down middle man.

It's been a while now, so I don't remember the details, but in its early days PayPal had something of a reputation for playing fast and loose with the funds they handled, leading to a situation where people like me and my wife refused to do any business through them, because we considered them to be untrustworthy. Their acquisition by eBay and their being treated and regulated something like a bank has forced them to clean up their act.

Umitencho
join:2012-08-11
Jacksonville, FL

Umitencho to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
Sorry, his situation of being asked for info reminded me of my situation even though his was through a scammer and mine actual law requirement.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
For what it's worth:

--- 08/31/12 20:43:35 Eastern Daylight Time
--- Decoding URL:

www.paypal.com.kd895s3xqyjcd4op.555asd1ie93d8555422cc3et1icmnpc56itejasvg6b.com/cgi-bin/webscr/?login-dispatch&login_email=email@domain.com&ref=pppsss1&login-processing=ok

--- Broken down URL components:

Protocol: http
Host: www.paypal.com.kd895s3xqyjcd4op.555asd1ie93d8555422cc3et1icmnpc56itejasvg6b.com
Path: /cgi-bin/webscr/
Input: login-dispatch&login_email=email@domain.com&ref=pppsss1&login-processing=ok

--- Decoded URL:

hxxp://www.paypal.com.kd895s3xqyjcd4op.555asd1ie93d8555422cc3et1icmnpc56itejasvg6b.com/cgi-bin/webscr/

--- resolving host "www.paypal.com.kd895s3xqyjcd4op.555asd1ie93d8555422cc3et1icmnpc56itejasvg6b.com", please wait...
--- IP resolve error: no data record found

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Before even looking at the obfuscated URL, I could tell that was a phish.

The real Paypal would never send email like this.

Speaking of scams, anyone subscribing to Consumer Reports should read the current issue. There is an article in it about the most common types of scam, how they work, and what to do to protect yourself from being taken.
47717768 (banned)
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

I know. I just did not pay attention or i were drunk
05641623 (banned)
join:2012-09-17
North Coast

05641623 (banned) to pcdebb

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

said by billydunwood:

That is why you always log on to your account or call them when you receive an email like this, never reply or click links in the email.

he already knows this

You would think wouldn't ya.

05641623 (banned) to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

said by Umitencho:

I got the same or similar email asking for a scanned copy or my recent bill, state issued ID, and SSN card. I called PayPal and come to find out changes in my state's law, Florida, has forced them to ask for such info.

How is that the same or similar as the OP? The OP had email from a scammer and went to a scammer's web site then filled out personal account info that went straight to a scammer's in-box. You had a legitimate email from PayPal that you called PayPal about on the phone and then ignored replying to with the requested documentation. Sounds unrelated to me.

I think it is the same, except the fact that Umitenco handled it properly, Oleg didn't.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by 05641623:

I think it is the same, except the fact that Umitenco handled it properly, Oleg didn't.

One is a scam (phishing for usernames and passwords) and the other is not a scam but is legitimate email from PayPal. Polar opposites is what it is actually.