All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to jodhak

to jodhak

Re: beIn Sport 1 & 2 (new soccer channels)

said by jodhak :

which means by time next year if other carriers don't have these channels a lot of people will be without the greatest sport in the world on american television..

hurry up FiOS and add these in HD!!

At which point, the European leagues would have screwed themselves over. This is ludicrous. So now providers like FIOS have to carry how many soccer networks??? I love soccer, but this is completely absurd. They went for the buck, so I hope Verizon doesn't add the channels and the leagues get egg on the face. The ratings simply do not justify carriage of all these soccer networks.

fan15
@199.107.43.x

fan15

Anon

Greg, you're missing the point, and misunderstanding the facts about viewership. Or you just do not understand where soccer is currently broadcast and who watches it. To suggest that ratings for the MLS are a sufficient measure of interest is downright laughable. And since you clearly do not know, Real Madrid and Barcelona are the most heavily watched sports teams in the world, bar none. By the way, Deportes will not be carrying them -- so you're wrong again. On FIOS, there is a single network (FSC) in HD, and one in SD (Gol), which has been stripped of essentially all worthwhile product. FS-plus carries a few nonsense games a week and rugby. But FIOS has a ton of dedicated channels for other sports.

Reread the article you cite above. It does not even remotely suggest that the satellite channels won't be rated because of law viewership. It says that until carried by more channels (read cable providers), it won't be counted. That's all.

I'm not saying I disagree with your point about the world leagues cutting deals that seemingly kill momentum in the US. But to then stand behind that fact as a reason why Verizon should prevent viewers from watching the network with EXCLUSIVE coverage of the sport for the most popular leagues in the world is absurd.

If that is Verizon's tactic, they undoubtedly will lose many, many viewers -- and that is not a sound business decision.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

said by fan15 :

If that is Verizon's tactic, they undoubtedly will lose many, many viewers -- and that is not a sound business decision.

Unless more cable systems pick them up, only option is satellite. And I can't believe that Verizon would even notice the number of customers that would leave over this one family of channels.
I like sports (maybe not as much as some) but really wish that Verizon get back to adding the more popular channels that are carried by multiple carriers instead.