how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tippy2

join:2010-10-16
Richmond, VA

[Bill] Need to purchase Cable Modem for Comcast HD

Hello, I live in Chesterfield County VA and Comcast has just increased my monthly bill to $173 per month. I now have Preferred XF, HBO, phone and 2 HD digital preferred cable boxes. My guest room TV is connected to a scientific atlanta explorer 4250HDC box. I would like to replace this box with my own cable modem to lower my Comcast bill. I also have a internet DVD player Sony blue ray BDP S370 connect for Netflix etc.Can anyone recommend a cable modem that will deliver the same quality HD channels? thanks in advance.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

cable modems are for internet, not for television service.
--
I'm better than you!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to tippy2

As mentioned, modems are for Internet, not TV (other than streaming). Also, you cannot buy your own cable box. The closest is something like a Tivo or computer tuner with CableCard support. Do NOT buy a cable box on eBay or similar. They are either stolen or for non-US markets.

If you don't need HD and it's OK to limit that TV to Starter and no OnDemand or MusicChoice or program guide, you can get a DTA instead if they are available in your area. It may be either free, or more likely now, only $1.99/month.

bgoodbody
Bill G

join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
reply to tippy2

If you have Comcast Digital Voice you require and eMTA.

The eMTA's are charged for ($7.00 per month here). They also support your Internet Connection. So no need for Cable Modem. Also no savings as you still need the eMTA for the phone service.

Here they have used the Arris line for some time. I am very happy with mine.
--
- Bill

tippy2

Richmond, VA

I have the ARRIS "Brick" also. I am thinking about splitting my bill -discontinuing Comcast VOIP and getting Verizon. The previous had Verizon so there is a OMT already installed. Thanks for the info.

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Wait, you have FiOS available? How about checking what FiOS deals are available to you. You mean ONT (Optical Network Terminal) where the fiber from the node is converted to electrical signals. FiOS may have better deals and threaten Comcast about switching for rosier deals.

tippy2

Richmond, VA

sorry for the fat fingers, yes I have a ONT already install from the previous owner of my condo. Fios offers is $99.99 per month for 2 years. I trust them even less than comcast and I want to keep my Netgear WNDR3700 dual band router. I have heard that its complicated to get my router to work with Fios. thanks for your post.

chimerax

join:2012-07-25

If you are interested in buying a new cable box why not go for TiVo. TiVo now entered in an agreement with Comcast so activating TiVo will be easier and it will be a good deal too. You will get a lot of features from TiVo. Check with Comcast or buy TiVo from their website and get it activated.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

But, with Tivo, you ALSO need the Tivo subscription.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

You can buy a lifetime subscription (costs a lot of $$$)

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:7

The costs involved for the lowest priced, 2-tuner TiVo "Premiere" model can be seen here: »www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do