how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pondering

join:2012-08-20
Louisville, KY

Motorolla 3360 and Linksys WRT54gs

I am unable to get my new Motorola 3360 to work with my wireless Linksys WRT54GS. This is for ATT DSL Fast Access Ultra (not Uverse). I have tried setting the 3360 to bridge mode using the instructions found at

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ

and tried every variation offered in the feed back section, including Troy H.'s recommendation of entering fake credentials in the 3360.

I can get a wireless connection from two different laptops to the Linksys but no Internet on either. Also, an ethernet cable from the linksys to the laptop will not pull an internet connection.

All attempts to set the 3360 to bridged mode and set the Linksys to PPPOE failed to allow a wireless internet connection.

I also tried reconfiguring the Linksys so that it acted as a wireless access point (I plugged the cables in the LAN ports of the Linksys per the instructions). I was able to establish a wireless internet connection with one device only. I was unable to connect more than one device. I assume this is because I had to turn the DHCP server off on the Linksys. I did try leaving the DHCP server on which resulted in no Internet connection on any device.

Any suggestions on how to get the 3360 to talk to the Linksys? WAP is fine with me, as long as I can connect multiple wireless devices.

Thanks!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by Pondering:

I have tried setting the 3360 to bridge mode

Here's a picture of the 3360 configuration page with the bridge mode option seclected

said by Pondering:

I also tried reconfiguring the Linksys so that it acted as a wireless access point (I plugged the cables in the LAN ports of the Linksys per the instructions). I was able to establish a wireless internet connection with one device only. I was unable to connect more than one device

In this configuration there can only be one dhcp client all other connected devices must use a static ip configuration

Pondering

Louisville, KY

Thanks for the response. However, I tried that. Several times.

Despite following instructions to the letter (and then trying all the variations in the feedback section), setting the 3360 to PPP Bridge mode did not work on the Linksys WRT54gs. I did set up the Linksys per the instructions. Wireless simply will not connect to the Internet no matter what IP I set for the Linksys (I've tried several schemes). I did a full reset of the Linksys with each attempt.

However, if I set the Linksys up as a Wireless Access Point: set a static IP address to 192.168.1.2, turn DHCP server off, under advanced settings change 'gateway' to 'router' and leave the Motorola 3360 on 'PPP is on the modem' then the Linksys will allow ONE wireless Internet connection. This requires plugging the ethernet cable from the modem in the Linksys LAN (not the WAN). However, attempting to logon more than one wireless device results in an IP address conflict and it cannot log on. Setting the 3360 to PPP to the second setting (bridged) will not work.

Any suggestions (besides buying a different modem)?

Pondering

Louisville, KY

ah. The light dawns...maybe.

Do I have to also assign individual static IPs to each of my wireless devices?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Pondering:

Do I have to also assign individual static IPs to each of my wireless devices?

You must assign individual static IPs to each device except the one dhcp client
The 3360 dhcp server has only 1 ip to allocate

Pondering

Louisville, KY

Does this mean that the Linksys in wap config can still handle multiple ip addresses even tho the 3360 is limited to one?

Thanks for your help and patience. As is probably obvious from my questions, I know just enough about networking to be dangerous.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Pondering:

Does this mean that the Linksys in wap config can still handle multiple ip addresses even tho the 3360 is limited to one?

When the linksys is configured and used as a access point the 3360 is the router

The configuration I would use on the linksys as a wap may be different from your wap configuration

Pondering

Louisville, KY

Sorry, but I am very confused. If the 3360 only has one ip to allocate, how do I assign multiple static ips to my wireless devices connecting to the linksys wap?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Assigning a static IP address on a wired computer

Assigning a static IP address on a wireless computer

Pondering

Louisville, KY

Thank you for your help! I assigned static IPs to four separate devices and, so far, they are all connected and working as advertised.