All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Palidino
join:2012-03-28
Orleans, ON

Palidino

If i got fibe internet why cant i get fibe tv?

I got FTTN internet 15/10 but why cant i get fibe tv when i can get fibe internet? Cause dont the tv use the internet to stream?
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

Maybe because the CO isn't ready?

There's more then simply Internet to make Bell IPTV work.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to Palidino

MVM

to Palidino
Fibe TV uses a private network signal and not the internet. They are separated via a Vlan structure...so no it isn't provided through the internet. As well Kovy stated it right...if the TV signal isn't provided to your source, be it in the Central Office or out on the OPI then it isn't available yet.

JEDI
join:2005-04-11
Longueuil

JEDI

said by Glen1:

Fibe TV uses a private network signal and not the internet. They are separated via a Vlan structure...so no it isn't provided through the internet. As well Kovy stated it right...if the TV signal isn't provided to your source, be it in the Central Office or out on the OPI then it isn't available yet.

Yet I cannot get Fibe TV without their internet! They said their internet is required for Fibe TV because their TV comes from the internet...
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by JEDI:

They said their internet is required for Fibe TV because their TV comes from the internet...

The requirement likely has more to do with meeting their projected average revenue per port than anything else. If too many people ordered internet-less FibeTV (which some people have gotten in the form of 0GB-cap internet plan), Bell might end up having to bump the base price up several bucks to compensate.

If Bell decides to let people order 0GB Fibe16+ and let 3rd-party ISPs sell login-only account (no reason to object now that Bell can collect CBB fees), maybe there will be a day where FibeTV will be legitimately pairable with 3rd-party internet.
Palidino
Orleans, ON

Palidino

Ohh do you think i will get fibe tv in the future? If it doesnt have fiber optic in the building that means i most likly wont get it right? Unless they spend money to install fiber optics in our building?
kovy7

kovy7 to Palidino

to Palidino
Can you get 25 /10 at your place ?
Palidino
Orleans, ON

Palidino

Yes i can get FTTN 25/10 but not FTTH

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX to Palidino

Premium Member

to Palidino
Fibe TV isn't available outside the GTA and Montreal. Different programming for every region requires access to local feeds and new encoders in new TV distribution hubs which Bell probably haven't built yet.

XanderLo
join:2002-06-19
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by BliZZardX:

Fibe TV isn't available outside the GTA and Montreal. Different programming for every region requires access to local feeds and new encoders in new TV distribution hubs which Bell probably haven't built yet.

It is available outside the Montreal island but it's hit or miss depending on specific neighbourhoods. Pretty inconsistent modernization unfortunately.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by XanderLo:

Pretty inconsistent modernization unfortunately.

Can't do miracles with all the building permits and other licenses that they likely need to get before they can execute and complete a project.

Some times it may be due to companies waiting for the municipalities to tear open the streets for sewer, aqueduct or other maintenance to avoid having to pay the costs of opening and repairing the streets, other times it can be due to the municipality refusing to issue dig permits on roads where asphalt is younger then 2-5 years and there likely are dozens of other similar factors beyond the companies' control that can influence the order in which neighborhood get upgraded.

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by InvalidError:

said by XanderLo:

Can't do miracles with all the building permits and other licenses that they likely need to get before they can execute and complete a project.

Some times it may be due to companies waiting for the municipalities to tear open the streets for sewer, aqueduct or other maintenance to avoid having to pay the costs of opening and repairing the streets, other times it can be due to the municipality refusing to issue dig permits on roads where asphalt is younger then 2-5 years and there likely are dozens of other similar factors beyond the companies' control that can influence the order in which neighborhood get upgraded.

Sorry but that's BS for a lot of cases. In many cities, someone can have access to the full package: 25/10 + FibeTV and someone else at 100-200m, same neighborhood, same city, same infrastructure but different street, hasn't got much (25/10 vs 5/1). This is called half-assed modernization. I guess they judge that the effort required for that extra 100-200m isn't worth the trouble but the customer doesn't give a shit what the reason is. It's still half-assed and frustrating, thus the reason why Videotron ain't budging (neither price-wise nor caps-wise).

It will be nice in a decade (or more?) when we all have FTTH.
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

said by InvalidError:

said by XanderLo:

Sorry but that's BS for a lot of cases. In many cities, someone can have access to the full package: 25/10 + FibeTV and someone else at 100-200m, same neighborhood, same city, same infrastructure but different street, hasn't got much (25/10 vs 5/1). This is called half-assed modernization. I guess they judge that the effort required for that extra 100-200m isn't worth the trouble but the customer doesn't give a shit what the reason is. It's still half-assed and frustrating, thus the reason why Videotron ain't budging (neither price-wise nor caps-wise).

It will be nice in a decade (or more?) when we all have FTTH.

200m in bird view or 200m in wire ?

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

300m in wire. That's enough for break or make with Bell unfortunately considering the half-assed modernization. And I'm really feeling for people I know 1.8km away who can get max 5/1. Same city, same infrastructure. Cable is perfectly deployed all around here but alas, it's Videotron here. ;,(
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

said by kovy7:

300m in wire. That's enough for break or make with Bell unfortunately considering the half-assed modernization. And I'm really feeling for people I know 1.8km away who can get max 5/1. Same city, same infrastructure. Cable is perfectly deployed all around here but alas, it's Videotron here. ;,(

Cable is probably easier to upgrade for Internet then a phone cable, eh?

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

said by XanderLo:

said by kovy7:

Cable is probably easier to upgrade for Internet then a phone cable, eh?

Especially when they've been sitting on their ass for so long. heh
But hey, better late than never. FTTH will be nice to have in a decade. :x
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

Sure, they're late... but then again, price aren't better... nor will they get better at this rate (which is really my main issue).

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

said by XanderLo:

Sure, they're late... but then again, price aren't better... nor will they get better at this rate (which is really my main issue).

Trust me, Bell prices are -WAY- better than Videotron's, hence why I'd prefer to stick with Bell and get VDSL2 for the decent upload speed.
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

said by kovy7:

said by XanderLo:

Trust me, Bell prices are -WAY- better than Videotron's, hence why I'd prefer to stick with Bell and get VDSL2 for the decent upload speed.

Trust you ? I know, there just a bit better... but it's far from OMG wow amazing prices here. I rather be with a wholesale ISP then either of them price wise.

I'm not sure what prices you're looking at...

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

Trust you ? I know, there just a bit better... but it's far from OMG wow amazing prices here. I rather be with a wholesale ISP then either of them price wise.

With Videotron, you're looking at around 15$ more for a slower service with a f*cking ridiculous cap. If you include wholesalers, then ok, I agree with you, but Bell doesn't charge any fees for dry loop which is another 10$ added to the bill. For those reasons, Bell is hands down the best overall provider here in Quebec especially if you have no land line (seriously, what young couples do?). Unfortunately, they're so far behind Videotron deployment-wise. That pretty much sums it up here.

Now, I'll repeat it again... if Videotron could raise upstream profiles, EBOX would become a great alternative all of a sudden.
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

said by kovy7:

With Videotron, you're looking at around 15$ more for a slower service with a f*cking ridiculous cap. If you include wholesalers, then ok, I agree with you, but Bell doesn't charge any fees for dry loop which is another 10$ added to the bill. For those reasons, Bell is hands down the best overall provider here in Quebec especially if you have no land line (seriously, what young couples do?). Unfortunately, they're so far behind Videotron deployment-wise. That pretty much sums it up here.

Now, I'll repeat it again... if Videotron could raise upstream profiles, EBOX would become a great alternative all of a sudden.

Where ? Videotron 30mb is like 66ish... Bell fibe 25 is like 68ish... both have horrible CAPs.

Again, Wholesale cable is even better deal... no dry loop fee either, since that's non existent on cable.

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by kovy7:

Where ? Videotron 30mb is like 66ish... Bell fibe 25 is like 68ish... both have horrible CAPs.

Again, Wholesale cable is even better deal... no dry loop fee either, since that's non existent on cable.

Mehh... you know just like me that regular prices are meaningless. Videotron rarely offers any discount whereas Bell always has big promos. For example, I pay 57$ + taxes for Bell Satellite (including HD + 2 theme pkgs + 1 free PVR rental) and Fibe 15/10. This is just unachieveable with Videotron and with an inferior Internet service (8/1 with 50GB cap instead of 15/10 with 100GB cap).
kovy7

kovy7

said by XanderLo:

said by kovy7:

Mehh... you know just like me that regular prices are meaningless. Videotron rarely offers any discount whereas Bell always has big promos. For example, I pay 57$ + taxes for Bell Satellite (including HD + 2 theme pkgs + 1 free PVR rental) and Fibe 15/10. This is just unachieveable with Videotron and with an inferior Internet service (8/1 with 50GB cap instead of 15/10 with 100GB cap).

Regular prices are everything... I'm not spending hours to talk and beg a rep to lower the prices... Bell big promos last like 6 months...
X10A
join:2004-07-13
Brossard, QC

X10A to Palidino

to Palidino
videotron's approach is different then bell, when I had videotron their customer relation is awesome and I get very deep discount, something I have trouble getting from bell. Not to mention, videotron's support is far superior then bell. I never had to wrestle with a videotron phone rep, nor their field tech. Bell on the other hand is a total nightmare.

Only thing I find Bell better is having better incentive at sign up, but in the long run videotron takes over. And bell's phone will not get instant kill by power outage...

This is based on my experience of having both videotron and bell tv + internet in the same house for 6 months.

XanderLo
Boucherville, QC

XanderLo

said by X10A:

videotron's approach is different then bell, when I had videotron their customer relation is awesome and I get very deep discount, something I have trouble getting from bell. Not to mention, videotron's support is far superior then bell. I never had to wrestle with a videotron phone rep, nor their field tech. Bell on the other hand is a total nightmare.

Only thing I find Bell better is having better incentive at sign up, but in the long run videotron takes over. And bell's phone will not get instant kill by power outage...

This is based on my experience of having both videotron and bell tv + internet in the same house for 6 months.

I had a totally different experience with both Videotron and Bell in 3 different apartments and 2 different houses in 10 years. Videotron barely ever given any big discounts whereas with Bell, I always had top notch deals. Try 57$ + taxes for Bell Satellite with HD (2 theme pkgs) + 1 free PVR + Fibe 15/10 Internet with 100GB cap. Only problem for me right now with Bell is half-assed modernization. Can only get 15/0.8 max for God knows how many years.