dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

[Cable TV] Interment line noise or weak signal?

How can I get a Cogeco tech to test or run a diagnostic on the equipment coming down my street and test the line coming in to my house?
If any techs manage to see this post, here are some of the problems I have been having.
Interment problems with the video feed freezing and blocking up and also interment problems with the audio dropping. Could be some noise in the line?
To me the problems I have been seeing are the result in noise in the line or a very weak signal.
Could an amp or a connection be bad out on the pole somewhere?
exseven8
Premium Member
join:2003-05-23
L8E0G6

exseven8

Premium Member

i checked a few nodes in beamsville and nothing is overly out of whack. Call in and get a service call booked
robman50

robman50

internet is fast and stable, phone is working well but it all ways seems to be the digital cable and it is all ways a handful of different channels.

what could it be that's affecting the tv? could the cable box cause this if the device is starting to fail?

here is what the modem is saying for the internet. does it look good?

RF Parameters
Downstream
Frequency 459 MHz Power 5.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB Modulation QAM256

Upstream
Frequency 25.296 MHz Power 47.2 dBmV
Upstream Data Rate 2560 Ksym/sec Modulation QAM16
robman50

2 edits

robman50 to exseven8

to exseven8
the dct 2000 diagnostics are below.
robman50

1 edit

robman50

DCT 2000

In band diagnostic:
SNR 34 dB GOOD
QAM 256
short term error count - bounces between 00000 and 00040 (average 00020)
long term error count - 65535

OOB diagnostic:
SNR 22dB GOOD

Edit: Current tuned channel was 3 Global
robman50

robman50

What is the recommended type of coax for cable? RG-59/U or RG-6?

Shyte
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
NF, ON

Shyte

Premium Member

RG-6

Shyte
robman50

robman50

I think I found the problem. I swapped the DCT 2000 with my DCT 1800 and everything works wonderful.
SNR is sitting at 35dB, error count is steady at 00000. In the other room where I took the 1800 from and replaced it with the 2000, I kept getting problems.
I took a small peek through the top vents of the 2000 and I noticed that there was almost like an white paste near all the caps.
I did notice that on the DCT 1800 that the SNR for the OOB was a little low around 18dB. Is that an issue? Could it go higher once it is done downloading or connecting?
robman50

robman50 to Shyte

to Shyte
said by Shyte:

RG-6

Shyte

Most of the wires are RG-6 except for the line running to the living room. That one can not be replaced because it was built underneath the floor. Also I have a few small RG-59 cords that came with the STB's.
robman50

robman50

I see I have some more work to do. Might need to swap the coax to the TV and replace it with an composite video cable. Everything has a shadow behind it.

Other than that the output of the box seem way more colourful.