Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru

Re: [HSI] heard a rumor charter might remove bandwith caps

said by TheTechGuru:

Won't let you? That makes no sense to me. That's like moving somewhere that isn't pre-wired for POTS and them not letting you have POTS installed. POTS is a right, you should sue. I would, but I don't move to places with BS like that to deal with.

Are you talking about wired or wireless?

Well, its a complicated situation. We are renting from a family friend, and we have charter and century link already here. She does not want, and puts it clearly into the rent agreement, that there are to be no satellites, or other service providers wired into the building. I could site fair access laws(which do require her to allow us to have them come in and wire it in, same for a satellite, we could force it), but she would much sooner evict us than let that happen. We also get a large discount on our rent because we are "family" to her. Its a touchy thing. I want another ISP, and all they have to do is put another box next to the other ones on the side no one sees. it doesnt help that she is Bi-polar does not take her meds. I know all about right to access laws, and I could force the issue, but not at the risk losing our place, or losing our rent discount.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to lineofsight

Premium Member

to lineofsight
said by lineofsight:

Ask if they want a Satellite dish installed on the building instead, as they have to allow that by Federal law.
That might allow a change in policy.

Yes and no. They can restrict you from attaching it to the structure. You can't make them to allow you to make holes (any screw would do that), but if you set it up on a tri-pod on your deck, they can't stop you ....
zed260
Premium Member
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Netgear R7000

zed260 to ChumpChange

Premium Member

to ChumpChange
said by ChumpChange :

If they double the speeds like they have done in the past that would be nice, would outshow the other isp's. 30/8 would be VERY nice. Cutting my youtube uploads in half.

if they do anything on upload side it will probably be a hug jump all at once not a doubleing probably 30/20 instead

lineofsight
join:2003-01-03
East Saint Louis, IL

lineofsight to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
I guess you are hosed dude.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to zed260

to zed260
Charter isn't "bad" around here, but they're not great either. I've had issues in the past with them and it has left a chip on my shoulder.

Anyway, local ISP is rolling out fiber 30/50/100/200, all symmetrical, with no data caps, claim to be 100% net-netrual, and static IPs. They also talked about how they are no longer a phone company, but an ISP who offers phone services.

I called Charter and talked to a manager. I asked if I could get a discount since I'm paying 3x as much as a new customer(2 year intro deals that I can't get) and I have been with them for years, and he said I've got a good deal and to take it or leave it.

Next year charter, I'm leaving it.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to zed260

to zed260
Interesting that you mention that. Co-worker was having some modem problems. I told them to go to the office and ask to swap modems. They got a nice new one. They told me, when they plugged it in it had two amber lights and asked me what it meant.... DOCSIS3+channel bonding on the upload.
Bengie25

Bengie25 to zed260

to zed260
said by zed260:

said by ChumpChange :

If they double the speeds like they have done in the past that would be nice, would outshow the other isp's. 30/8 would be VERY nice. Cutting my youtube uploads in half.

if they do anything on upload side it will probably be a hug jump all at once not a doubleing probably 30/20 instead

Interesting that you mention that. Co-worker was having some modem problems. I told them to go to the office and ask to swap modems. They got a nice new one. They told me, when they plugged it in it had two amber lights and asked me what it meant.... DOCSIS3+channel bonding on the upload.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

A nice new one?

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to zed260

to zed260
when did Charter start channel bonding on uploads?

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

said by compuguybna:

when did Charter start channel bonding on uploads?

Exactly, I think they need to look into this far before adding more download channels.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What modem did we get?? Do we go to the CO to ask for new modems? What speeds did he get??